PDA

View Full Version : Jersey Talk: Search and State alternatives?

AngryScientist
06-26-2020, 02:35 PM
For the type of riding i do, my current favorite is my Search and State jersey.

fit is nice, not too racy, but not loose. pockets are in just the right spot.

They are excellent quality and construction, but soul crushingly expensive, lol.

Rapha is pretty much dead to me for summer use. Their sportwool or whatever they call it is hot garbage. Doesnt breathe at all, and is practically deadly in the humidity. I really, really wanted to like the lightweight brevet jersey, but again, the material - at least for me, sucks. I'm right in between what they call xs and s too.

What are some other favorites for hot summer riding that are cut for what i would call a comfort race cut, subtle branding/graphics and not 200 dollars?

jtbadge
06-26-2020, 02:40 PM
The fabric on the Twin Six "Standard" series is pretty nice for the price (comfort, handling of moisture, and stretchiness) and they come in solid colors. I have 3 or 4 and probably wear one every other time I ride.

Their fit is probably a little more generous than the racier brands so definitely review the sizing chart. And they are constantly running sales so don't pay full price.

Bentley
06-26-2020, 02:41 PM
For inexpensive I have had good luck with Fixed Gear, also I find that Heavy Pedal works well. I use them for training rides, it’s hot and humid in FL and they work for me

ltwtsculler91
06-26-2020, 02:45 PM
Probably more mid-price than inexpensive, but check out Ornot's House Jerseys for around $100. Similar concept to SAS from a fit perspective and still made in the USA.

I also quite like my Catella jersey (sponsor shoutout :banana::banana:) for hot weather especially, although the fit is a touch more race-y than my SAS jerseys (S2-R models)

AngryScientist
06-26-2020, 02:47 PM
Probably more mid-price than inexpensive, but check out Ornot's House Jerseys for around $100. Similar concept to SAS from a fit perspective and still made in the USA.

I also quite like my Catella jersey (sponsor shoutout :banana::banana:) for hot weather especially, although the fit is a touch more race-y than my SAS jerseys (S2-R models)

i had almost forgotten about my Catella jerseys, i have a few and they are very good.

I'm going to look at the Ornot Jersey.

arimajol
06-26-2020, 02:50 PM
Ornot's bibs are made by the same company that makes Twin Six's bibs. I got a pair and compared to my wife's TS bibs, they are identical, except for a different fabric in the body of the shorts. I'm curious if the jerseys are cut from the same pattern, though maybe of a different cloth.

dbnm
06-26-2020, 02:54 PM
These are my summer time staples

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/mens-classic-flyweight-jersey/product/FLY06XXWSB

CNY rider
06-26-2020, 03:03 PM
i had almost forgotten about my Catella jerseys, i have a few and they are very good.

I'm going to look at the Ornot Jersey.

I wish Catella would relax the fit a little.
Their jerseys are great but I just barely fit into them.
If I add 5 pounds I'm a sausage in their jerseys.

charliedid
06-26-2020, 03:21 PM
The Ornot Work Jersey (not house) is much like the S-1A from Search & State, made here for almost 1/2 the price. Though neither are true hot weather jerseys. I have an older Ultralight from Rapha that shines when it gets super hot. Also a brand from the UK, Chapeau have some inexpensive but solid offerings and the older Club Jersey (not sure of current fit as I think it changed) which is not a real club fit (bit more race) is quite good when hot. Hit or miss of course ordering overseas.

Stating that a Classic Rapha jersey doesn't do great when it gets toasty and humid is like wondering why your sports car isn't a pick-up truck :)

I'm curious about the Classic Flyweight and I might have heard Rapha was about to run a sale sometime soon.

scoobydrew
06-26-2020, 03:22 PM

I'll vouch for the Ornot "House Jersey". I have the prior version and the latest version. I would consider them as a comfort race cut. Great for warmer weather due to the light fabric and subtle vents on the side.

If you're looking for a slightly more relaxed fit but a bit thicker fabric, I recommend their "Work Jersey". Slightly shorter and looser sleeves than the House Jersey.

joosttx
06-26-2020, 03:27 PM
I have really grown to love Velocio jerseys. The signature is sweet and if its really hot the radiator rocks

https://velocio.cc/collections/mens-jerseys

FlashUNC
06-26-2020, 03:28 PM
I have really grown to love Velocio jerseys. The signature is sweet and if its really hot the radiator rocks

What he said.

charliedid
06-26-2020, 03:34 PM
I'll vouch for the Ornot "House Jersey". I have the prior version and the latest version. I would consider them as a comfort race cut. Great for warmer weather due to the light fabric and subtle vents on the side.

If you're looking for a slightly more relaxed fit but a bit thicker fabric, I recommend their "Work Jersey". Slightly shorter and looser sleeves than the House Jersey.

You are right and I meant to say Work Jersey is more akin to the SS S-1A

Sleeves on what might be the newer version? def. not short...I have a couple and they are nice. I bought L because all their other stuff fits me in L but easily could wear a M.

weiwentg
06-26-2020, 03:35 PM

I agree with this, but Velocio are in the same price range as Search and State, which Angry said was too $$$$. Velocio do have a close out towards the end of the year, though (I think).

AngryScientist
06-26-2020, 03:35 PM
Good call - I just got a pair of the velocio bibshorts and they are very good, i'm wanting to try a "radiator" jersey too.

AngryScientist
06-26-2020, 03:43 PM
I agree with this, but Velocio are in the same price range as Search and State, which Angry said was too $$$$. Velocio do have a close out towards the end of the year, though (I think).

R&A has some nice Velocio pieces on sale right now.

Just bought a lightweight jersey.

https://www.racycles.com/searchresults/?keyword=velocio&pagenum=1

thegunner
06-26-2020, 03:48 PM
cutaway summer stuff is tops for me, nice mesh, very breathable and lightweight.

i used to ride the champsys stuff and it's night and day.

Monsieur Toast
06-26-2020, 03:57 PM
I'm curious about the Classic Flyweight and I might have heard Rapha was about to run a sale sometime soon.

Tell me more. I've been waiting to finally pull the trigger on some bibs from them to see whether or not they agree with me.

charliedid
06-26-2020, 04:04 PM
Tell me more. I've been waiting to finally pull the trigger on some bibs from them to see whether or not they agree with me.

It was second hand, not from my friend who runs Chicago so that's all I know.

MisterMurray
06-26-2020, 08:14 PM
The Ornot kit is pretty good. Not a fan of the chamois on long rides but the jersey is decent. My only complaint is that they're cut a little long in the sleeves.

Yoshi
06-26-2020, 08:37 PM
Velocio

Likes2ridefar
06-27-2020, 04:31 AM
I’ve not seen the current lower priced flyweight by Rapha, but have a rotation of three of the pro versions I got during their 40% sale.

They are my favorite for Arizona’s hot weather and are doing quite fine while here in warm and humid eastern Tennessee.

They are surprisingly durable for how thin they are. I wear one nearly every day and also use them for commuting with a pack and they show no signs of wear and most are a few years old at this point.

fignon's barber
06-27-2020, 04:59 AM
The jersey I wear on the hottest days here in Florida is the Isadore Woolight and the Isadore Climbers jersey. They are often 25-40% off at Wiggle.

R3awak3n
06-27-2020, 06:20 AM
I no you don't want rapha but man the silk jersey is fantastic. I have been out there almost everyday, one day was 99 degrees and a few over 90 degrees and its a really good jersey.

I take it the other rapha jersey you tried is the flyweight? I also think its a fantastic summer jersey, super thin very breathable, also excellent in summer. Or maybe you just have not tried the flyweight? because yes, all the other non summer jersey are too hot for summer where we live. @ $125 its not too bad. The silk is more expensive and I got it on sale, don't think I would have paid full price because its so damn expensive (well they have an XS for $130 :))

BRad704
06-28-2020, 09:42 PM
R&A has some nice Velocio pieces on sale right now.

Just bought a lightweight jersey.

https://www.racycles.com/searchresults/?keyword=velocio&pagenum=1

That's a good price on the Radiator mesh. I bought one full price though REI this summer (I can't resist the return policy for expensive things like this). It's my favorite Jersey so far this year because of the semi-V neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro