PDA

View Full Version : GURU Bike Fit

veggieburger
06-25-2020, 11:49 AM
Has anyone had the Guru bike fit done? Good experience? Effective? Feedback? Thanks!

Velocipede
06-25-2020, 10:32 PM
Yep. It's pretty cool. Just make sure you go to someone who knows what they're doing.

Tony T
06-26-2020, 07:58 AM
Had it done years ago by a Guru dealer who was trained by Guru on using the Bike Fit. Good experience, great fit (Guru Photon), and I used the info when I ordered my 2nd (non-guru) bike. Not sure how things are now.

pdmtong
06-26-2020, 02:06 PM
Are you talking about the fit machine they came out with a few years ago that allows an operator/fitter to adjust position on the fly while you virtually pedal flat-uphill-downhill looking at a screen?

Local LBS got one of the first ones in the USA - very impressive piece of "technology". Had the ability to mimic local routes as well as input dimensions from different frames the prospect might want to "try".

The cost was not in my budget but if that thing really did as advertised, it's the closest a person could get to trying different bikes and fits all in one place.

I forgot what they said the cycles/computer/screen and software subscription cost. but, it was non-trivial as you can imagine.

J.Higgins
06-26-2020, 02:12 PM
The cost was not in my budget...

How much was it? :confused:

Velocipede
06-26-2020, 02:28 PM
How much was it? :confused:

The Guru Cycling DFU is $35,000.

charliedid
06-26-2020, 02:31 PM
The Guru Cycling DFU is $35,000.

Isn't the subscription something on the order of $500 or more a month?

Velocipede
06-26-2020, 03:23 PM
Isn't the subscription something on the order of $500 or more a month?

There is a subscription fee on top of the initial fit bike fee. The fee kicks in after a year and it covers the storage of bikes you've done as well as access to their bike geometries listings. The fee changes based on the subscription you get and how many stores or bikes you have.

charliedid
06-26-2020, 03:36 PM
there is a subscription fee on top of the initial fit bike fee. The fee kicks in after a year and it covers the storage of bikes you've done as well as access to their bike geometries listings. The fee changes based on the subscription you get and how many stores or bikes you have.

ty

charliedid
06-26-2020, 03:53 PM
Has anyone had the Guru bike fit done? Good experience? Effective? Feedback? Thanks!

What is it you are after in a bike fit?

mcteague
06-26-2020, 04:42 PM
It seems the best fitters never use those fancy devices. Food for thought?

Tim

charliedid
06-26-2020, 04:52 PM
It seems the best fitters never use those fancy devices. Food for thought?

Tim

Well I understand what you are saying but the GURU and others are tools that can make the custom sizing process much easier and much less cumbersome. The on they fly adjustments in real time should not be underestimated. For many people it can really make a difference. Imagine riding for 15-20 minutes at tempo and you are warmed up and you now what to see what 2 cm more drop feels like....and almost like magic its there. Now take the scenario of say a Serotta size cycle or other similar and the customer now has to get off and you need to manually make that adjustment. It's not to be overstated but it does make a difference for some and can be truly helpful.

The other idea is that especially for an independent fitter you can make suggestions of bike models based on that data especially stack and reach since most people find that useful.

It won't teach you how to be a fitter but it can certainly be a great tool and resource.

pdmtong
06-26-2020, 05:54 PM
Well I understand what you are saying but the GURU and others are tools that can make the custom sizing process much easier and much less cumbersome. The on they fly adjustments in real time should not be underestimated. For many people it can really make a difference. Imagine riding for 15-20 minutes at tempo and you are warmed up and you now what to see what 2 cm more drop feels like....and almost like magic its there. Now take the scenario of say a Serotta size cycle or other similar and the customer now has to get off and you need to manually make that adjustment. It's not to be overstated but it does make a difference for some and can be truly helpful.

The other idea is that especially for an independent fitter you can make suggestions of bike models based on that data especially stack and reach since most people find that useful.

It won't teach you how to be a fitter but it can certainly be a great too and resource.

it's not only this but the idea that the sizing bike pivots and tilts in response to the virtual terrain and effort you are evaluating the fit under. AND theoretically the hard drive is loaded with the geometries of every bike in the lineups the LBS sells. So you can try emonda domane madone all at once.....

Certainly the $ amount asked was insignificant relative to purchasing a $10k bike...but what if this thing was used to churn out proper fits for EVERYONE.
Like $100 initial and $100 f/up in a year. Now people ar fitted as best as possible on their bikes. they get happy - ride more - maybe upgrade.

Velocipede
06-26-2020, 06:31 PM
Many times it's not about a custom frame for people. Yes, they can do that. But if you have one of these and you buy from Colnago, Pinarello, Specialized or someone else who sells high end complete bikes, that are stock geometry, you can program which model and size bike into the DFU and have a person try it out before a shop buys it. It saves a ton of cash that way. And of course a shop doesn't have to worry about a customer saying, you fit me on the wrong frame cause they've already tried it.

charliedid
06-26-2020, 06:52 PM
it's not only this but the idea that the sizing bike pivots and tilts in response to the virtual terrain and effort you are evaluating the fit under. AND theoretically the hard drive is loaded with the geometries of every bike in the lineups the LBS sells. So you can try emonda domane madone all at once.....

Certainly the $ amount asked was insignificant relative to purchasing a $10k bike...but what if this thing was used to churn out proper fits for EVERYONE.
Like $100 initial and $100 f/up in a year. Now people ar fitted as best as possible on their bikes. they get happy - ride more - maybe upgrade.

Many times it's not about a custom frame for people. Yes, they can do that. But if you have one of these and you buy from Colnago, Pinarello, Specialized or someone else who sells high end complete bikes, that are stock geometry, you can program which model and size bike into the DFU and have a person try it out before a shop buys it. It saves a ton of cash that way. And of course a shop doesn't have to worry about a customer saying, you fit me on the wrong frame cause they've already tried it.

Yep

batman1425
06-26-2020, 07:53 PM
I've fit people on a guru. Very useful for helping show a customer how different bikes fit without having to test ride everything. Also great for doing position refinement and you can link them to a computrainer to do assessments under load.

How useful it is for a customer is entirely dependent on the operator. The video capture is a neat trick and will ballpark the fit to something in the right direction, but needs significant refinement from there to get to some numbers that are useful for size selection.

sfscott
06-26-2020, 08:30 PM
Wasn’t there talk of it being able to take fit data and tell you what frame most closely matched regardless of what a shop carried? Obviously shops would not want to fit you and suggest you walk across the street and order a frame they don’t sell, but for independent fitters, seems like a cool idea.

Velocipede
06-26-2020, 10:22 PM
Wasn’t there talk of it being able to take fit data and tell you what frame most closely matched regardless of what a shop carried? Obviously shops would not want to fit you and suggest you walk across the street and order a frame they don’t sell, but for independent fitters, seems like a cool idea.

The Guru DFU can do that.