PDA

View Full Version : Speed/Cadence Sensors Question

Rusa
06-24-2020, 02:30 PM
I have several bikes and just got a new Garmin 530 with speed and cadence sensors. I m thinking of adding speed and cadence sensors for the other 3 bikes, but 6 additional sensors seem expensive, at least if I get Garmin sensors.

I see lots of cheaper sensors online with Bluetooth and ANT+ technology available that would work with Garmin.

Anyone has any experience with Garmin vs other speed/cadence sensors? Any advise would be appreciated.

MikeD
06-24-2020, 02:33 PM
I have a Pioneer sensor and it works well. It's a combination speed and cadence sensor, similar to the one Garmin discontinued. I prefer this sensor to the new separate ones Garmin sells. One less battery to replace as well.

C40_guy
06-24-2020, 03:07 PM
Just buy three used speed/cadence sensors (GSC 10) off eBay. You really only need the cadence...the garmin will calculate your speed based on GPS. Stick a small rare earth magnet on the end of your pedal for the magnet, no sticking stuff on your crank arm.

Or...buy the newer cadence sensor that mounts to the crankarm. It doesn't need a magnet, and maybe that installation is cleaner.

IDK...I have a GSC10 on each of my bikes... The sensor looks unsightly on the chain stay. Probably no more/less so than the newer sensor on the crankarm...

The Wahoo cadence sensor, by the way, can be mounted on your cycling shoe. That way you only need one...but I'm not sure I'd use this for mountain biking or cyclocross...might lose it in the brush or on a barrier.

tuxbailey
06-24-2020, 03:26 PM
The Wahoo cadence sensor, by the way, can be mounted on your cycling shoe. That way you only need one...but I'm not sure I'd use this for mountain biking or cyclocross...might lose it in the brush or on a barrier.

I couldn't get this to work with the one that came with my kickr. I have to mount it on the crank.

cgolvin
06-24-2020, 05:33 PM
I have no experience with any sensors other than Wahoo -- 2 combined speed & cadence sensors and the separate individual pair on my other bike; I was tempted to try the 'mount cadence sensor on your shoe' but since I have multiple pairs of shoes it seemed a hassle.

One of the combined sensors is mounted via zip ties, but the other uses the supplied rubber mount and in 5+ years it only came off once, so it's a viable solution for switching between bikes. If you go that route I'd suggest buying multiple magnets for the pedal (cadence) and for each rear wheel.

I agree with @C40_guy that the combined sensors mounted on your chainstay are fugly, made more so by the magnet on the wheel, so I prefer the newer Wahoo solution of 2 separate sensors. You can easily move the speed sensor from wheel to wheel, takes 10 seconds, though I'm not sure they work well (or at all) on an older small diameter hub.

IME the speed data from these sensors are a lot more accurate than GPS data, so it's a question of how much you care about real time accuracy -- if it's just average speed for your ride then I'd go without.

parris
06-24-2020, 05:44 PM
I have severl of the inexpensive CooSpo speed/cadence sensors. They have all worked well with no problems. I also have their heart rate sensor which works well for me. Hope this helps.

C40_guy
06-24-2020, 06:54 PM
IME the speed data from these sensors are a lot more accurate than GPS data, so it's a question of how much you care about real time accuracy -- if it's just average speed for your ride then I'd go without.

I retired my desire for real time accuracy with my last set of Criterium Seta tubulars.

Now I'm just happy to look on the Garmin app and see a green cycling bar on the day. :)

cgolvin
06-24-2020, 08:56 PM
Now I'm just happy to look on the Garmin app and see a green cycling bar on the day. :)

Good for you, I endorse your highly evolved mindset.

Yesterday I rode my bike that doesn’t have a computer mount so I put my computer in my jersey pocket. I was disappointed to realize how many times I glanced down at my bars during the ride before remembering the computer wasn’t there. Mostly it was for cadence, the value to which I pay the most attention, but still…better to look up at the world around you, IMO.

Latestart
06-24-2020, 10:51 PM
Magene are cheap on AliExpress if you have time to wait for delivery - 5 weeks in my recent experience. I just bought two, haven't used them extensively, but they mated up fine.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cycling/comments/7trbk5/magene_sensors/

https://www.ebay.com/i/113800601899?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=113800601899&targetid=916196155426&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9031944&poi=&campaignid=9343999164&mkgroupid=98367546447&rlsatarget=pla-916196155426&abcId=1139336&merchantid=138358509&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgOfolIec6gIVySCtBh34XwJXEAQYAiAB EgIyJvD_BwE

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001008082955.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.575e3 3abAJNMmo&algo_pvid=d21c33f4-5ec6-4617-9a8f-0d9a7e068d0b&algo_expid=d21c33f4-5ec6-4617-9a8f-0d9a7e068d0b-0&btsid=0be3743b15930569146778075ecdab&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb 201603_

OldCrank
06-25-2020, 01:07 PM
picked up a Bontrager speed&cadence on this very forum, works fine with my old 800.
Just needs to be ANT+ afaik.
GSCs pop up now and then, keep your eyes out.

kppolich
06-25-2020, 01:38 PM
I have several bikes and just got a new Garmin 530 with speed and cadence sensors. I m thinking of adding speed and cadence sensors for the other 3 bikes, but 6 additional sensors seem expensive, at least if I get Garmin sensors.

I see lots of cheaper sensors online with Bluetooth and ANT+ technology available that would work with Garmin.

Anyone has any experience with Garmin vs other speed/cadence sensors? Any advise would be appreciated.

Do you need the speed sensor with the 530's GPS capability the speed should be pretty reliable, unless you are riding inside.

Mark McM
06-25-2020, 04:27 PM
Do you need the speed sensor with the 530's GPS capability the speed should be pretty reliable, unless you are riding inside.

Here in New England, GPS based speed is not particularly reliable. Tree cover can interfere with GPS reception, and I find that when riding under trees my GPS reception cuts in and out frequently.

Another issue is that even when GPS reception is good, speed accuracy varies inversely with velocity. The slower you are going (such as when climbing), the worse the speed accuracy. This is particularly glaring when using GPS for measuring hill grade. Grade is calculated by dividing altitude gain by velocity; since speed accuracy decreases as speed decreases, and speed decreases as grade increases, measuring very steep grades with GPS can be very inaccurate.

There is a very good reason that most of the big GPS cycling computer makers (Garmin, Wahoo, etc.) also make speed sensors to be used with their GPS computers.

tctyres
06-25-2020, 04:39 PM
I just swap the Garmin sensors from bike to bike. I have the "rubber band" versions. It takes all of 10 seconds for each sensor. It's not a big deal.

Rusa
06-26-2020, 08:02 AM

The speed is not very reliable without the sensor. GPS is OK by itself, but the bike with the speed sensor is way more accurate, plus it does not pause when climbing that sometimes happens when using a GPS on steep long grades when the speed is less than 3 mph.

tctyres
06-26-2020, 11:21 AM
The speed is not very reliable without the sensor. GPS is OK by itself, but the bike with the speed sensor is way more accurate, plus it does not pause when climbing that sometimes happens when using a GPS on steep long grades when the speed is less than 3 mph.

Also, using GPS for speed cuts out in tunnels and under long overpasses.

ColonelJLloyd
06-26-2020, 01:18 PM
Just buy three used speed/cadence sensors (GSC 10) off eBay. You really only need the cadence...the garmin will calculate your speed based on GPS. Stick a small rare earth magnet on the end of your pedal for the magnet, no sticking stuff on your crank arm.

I learned the hard way that I can't mount this style sensor because my rear brake hose runs along the top of the NDS chain stay. And since the RD cable runs along on the underside of the DS chain stay, it couldn't be mounted upside down on the other side.

I couldn't get this to work with the one that came with my kickr. I have to mount it on the crank.

Same. There is not a good way to mount this sensor to the Lake MX237s I use. Seems a bit of a design flaw on Wahoo's part given that the BOA system is used on a whole lot of bike shoes.

Rusa
06-26-2020, 01:22 PM
Also, using GPS for speed cuts out in tunnels and under long overpasses.

Have not experienced that yet, but thank you. Another reason the get sensors.

I think I may compromise and get a set of Garmin speed/cadence sensors for one bike and cheap sensors for the other bikes and see how they stack up in comparison. Thanks everybody for your help.