PDA

View Full Version : OT: is your samsung bluray working???

ultraman6970
06-23-2020, 04:09 PM
Mine died a few days ago and thought was dead, happens that out of the blue the units start rebooting themselves and stay in a loop. Looks like is something happening to all the units around the world. IT sucks!!!!!

Doesnt look to me that is a botched software upgrade because someguys with the problem dont even have the units connected to the internet. So looks like was something that had a date and that expired leaving the units in an eternal loop.

We use the unit to connect to netflix and other services, we barely play discs tho.

:/

Gummee
06-23-2020, 08:17 PM
My Sony's been acting up lately.

IIRC I paid $69 for the thing X years ago so the time/value equation is on my side

M

R3awak3n
06-23-2020, 08:23 PM
Just get a roku

Ozz
06-24-2020, 10:24 AM
My Sony's been acting up lately.

IIRC I paid $69 for the thing X years ago so the time/value equation is on my side

M

If it was an older Sony, it may have the old proprietary operating system and is no longer compatible with Netflix, Prime, etc....

Sony changed to a common system (or whatever you would call it) a few years ago.

I had a to get a new Blu-ray player last year when the apps on ours no longer worked with Prime....new one is nice, but does not have as many preinstalled apps (Pandora, etc).

C40_guy
06-24-2020, 11:03 AM
Years ago I received a very generous offer from TiVo to upgrade my DVR. I thought it was SPAM, but called TiVo...

Evidently they had sent out a software update that allegedly bricked a small number of units. To get ahead of the issue, they came up with a trade-up program that was difficult to refuse. So I upgraded. IIRC, it was like $50 or $100 for me to upgrade a three or four year old unit, and my lifetime subscription transferred to the new unit.

Maybe they didn't actually brick any units at all...and it was just a clever marketing program. It worked. :)

Bob Ross
06-24-2020, 12:20 PM
Just get a roku

Pretty sure none of OP's Blu-ray discs will fit inside a Roku :banana:

C40_guy
06-24-2020, 12:25 PM
We use the unit to connect to netflix and other services, we barely play discs tho.
:/

We've got one of those Sony blueray players, and we only use it for discs.

Between the TiVo and Amazon Fire devices in the house, we don't need its online capabilities... Without those, by the way, I'd definitely still be on a Roku...

That having been said, I turned it on last week, first time in a long while, to play a disc, and successfully did a firmware update.

You might want to do a search using the specific device model name and failure mode, see if this is a widespread issue for the specific model.

mcfarton
06-24-2020, 05:08 PM
I find this interesting.

A few months ago I told my wife I was going to buy a CD. She asked me how I planned to listen to it? I had no answer. Luckily the music became available on Spotify and balance was restored to my universe.

Imagine my surprise to see a blueray thread. At first I confused it with laser disc. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultraman6970
06-24-2020, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the answers, yeah it is a worldwide situation, everybody with 3 or 4 different models of samsungs b-r players are affected. In my case no firmware update since at least 2 years ago maybe.

Samsung is facing out B-R players production so is understandable that we havent get new software upgrades in the unit model I have.

https://www.extremetech.com/electronics/311949-many-samsung-blu-ray-players-are-boot-looping

Looks like the issue is a ssl certificate that expired. So now the question is what samsung is going to do? was just a few people is not a problem but this is worldwide and if they made the mistake of sending software in their devices that is almost ready to expire, then is a bad omen if you are planing into getting one of samsung's smart tv's because well could die in a couple of years. Bad situation for them, would not surprise me that they dont even know what's the software inside of the units and that could be a disaster.

Samsung UK lis taking the units IN to get them fixed eventhought looks like they dont actually know how to fixed.