PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying strategies for a Santa Cruz Blur

Luccasf
06-23-2020, 04:04 PM
I'm usually a roadie, but I borrowed a 2018 Blur CC XX1 reserve out on the trails and had an absolute blast: I rode up a beautiful firetrail into some mountains, took a single track into a valley with a stream and oak trees and fell over onto myself while trying to blast up a technical single track with rocks and tight curves and lots of loose dirt. Pure bliss!

But the bike I rode is too pricey for me right now even though it was an absolute deal (house repairs plus college for kids), so I'm wondering what you consider to be the best strategy for purchasing a Santa Cruz mountain bike. Would you all search for one on eBay or PinkBike, would you buy it when the sales roll around in the off-season (and which is the best month for those?) or would you purchase a used demo bikes (Santa Cruz sends out a fleet of demo bikes to dealers, and those eventually get sold at a discount).

Thanks in advance for the advice! I think the Blur CC X01 would be the ideal model for me.

scoobydrew
06-23-2020, 04:14 PM
Pinkbike, Craigslist, The Pro's Closet, or used demo bikes from your LBSs are your best bets.

To expand your options, consider if you need the XX1 reserve build or if a lower spec'd model will suit your needs.

AngryScientist
06-23-2020, 04:22 PM
i would try and wait for a sale or buy used locally. i'd be very careful about buying a used carbon mtb without a detailed inspection.

Luccasf
06-23-2020, 04:26 PM
Thanks, ScoobyDrew, I agree: I may not need the top of the line, even though it was a sweet ride.
And Angry Scientist, thanks as well: the tempting thing about the bike I tried out was that it is being offered for sale by a friend of a friend who has kept his bike in beautiful shape.

morrisericd
06-23-2020, 04:27 PM
Some of the best deals can be had locally, although the pickings are pretty slim right now. Lots of people out and about on bikes is a good thing. That being said, I've had great luck buying and selling on Pinkbike. Carbon MTB frames are meant to take a beating and a lot of high end bikes get immediately covered in invisaframe or some such covering. You can tell pretty easily who has taken care of their bikes. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be careful, but I would trust your gut (and ask for a lot of pictures).

Luccasf
06-23-2020, 04:32 PM
Thanks, more great advice. And I hadn't heard of Invisaframe--I'll look into it.

joosttx
06-23-2020, 04:37 PM
They are great bikes. I am a fan of the trail model with has a Fox 34 120mm front fork. Your best bet is local LBS demos. Good luck.

djg21
06-23-2020, 04:43 PM
If your sold on SC. The blur is a short travel XC bike. The SC Tallboy has a bit a bit more travel and a slacker head tube, making it more trail oriented, and maybe a better all-arounder. https://www.theproscloset.com/blogs/news/the-santa-cruz-blur-vs-tallboy

FriarQuade
06-23-2020, 09:32 PM
SC makes pretty nice stuff these days, but if you're new to the flat bar squishy bike awesomeness, demo a few other bikes before you plunk down that kind of scratch.

Jaybee
06-23-2020, 10:15 PM
SC makes pretty nice stuff these days, but if you're new to the flat bar squishy bike awesomeness, demo a few other bikes before you plunk down that kind of scratch.

This. I have an SC that I love, but only after comparing it to a bunch of other bikes. Mountain bikes are in a really fun place right now. Try some others if you can.

colker
06-24-2020, 07:35 AM
I hear great things about the Ibis Ripmo AF.

JAGI410
06-24-2020, 08:01 AM
I hear great things about the Ibis Ripmo AF.

I have one. It's a killer bike, but quite a bit different from a Blur. It doesn't have the outright speed or responsiveness of a proper XC bike. It's slower than a Tallboy. When things go downhill or airborne though, it makes the Santa Cruz feel like a kids bike from Walmart. It's fun on flat ground too, but if you have a need for speed, look elsewhere.

The Kona Hei Hei and Ibis Ripley deserve a spot on the shopping list too.

For budget conscience fun, the Marin Rift Zone is amazing.

commonguy001
06-24-2020, 08:10 AM
Usually new year colors are released between July and August, if your local shop is sitting on a prior year color there may be a discount to be had. Nice thing about being the first owner of a SC is lifetime warranty on frame and bearings. The Blur geometry is pretty dated but works well and is similar enough to road that it’s probably easy to get on and feel comfortable on. I’ve spent a lot of time on a tallboy 3 which isn’t that different and it’s great trail bike geometry.

If you going to be dropping CC/X01 coin, it’d be worth your time riding a few bikes to make sure you’re getting what works best. Newer geometry, while seemingly strange coming from road bike geometry, works well and would be worth throwing a leg over just to see.

Good luck!

jimcav
06-24-2020, 08:43 AM
Over the edge (OTE) sports in Sedona carries santa cruz and ships free on their demo sales. They also have other locations that all have demo sales. I bought my sons high tower from them and it is great. I got my Evil Offering from their Hurricane UT shop--also great.

Most of the moab shops sell their demos too. OF course if you have to have it NOW, there will be less options.

Previously I got my son's rocky mountain demo off Pink Bike from a Canadian shop end of season sale/demo sale. That was prob late Oct or early Nov as they transition to skiiing.

Demo bikes have a warranty and a LBS behind them. I've also had great luck with CL for mtb, but always went to check them out.

good luck
jim

cal_len1
06-24-2020, 09:05 AM
I have discovered recently that the most volume of used stuff is going through Facebook these days, in the bike sale/trade groups. I've bought a fair amount of stuff from there. Just be careful about what you buy, and even have an LBS inspect if possible. If you want a Blur (although I think there are tons of bikes just as good), I think the X01 build is the sweet spot for weight vs cost.

djg21
06-24-2020, 09:09 AM
I have one. It's a killer bike, but quite a bit different from a Blur. It doesn't have the outright speed or responsiveness of a proper XC bike. It's slower than a Tallboy. When things go downhill or airborne though, it makes the Santa Cruz feel like a kids bike from Walmart. It's fun on flat ground too, but if you have a need for speed, look elsewhere.

The Kona Hei Hei and Ibis Ripley deserve a spot on the shopping list too.

For budget conscience fun, the Marin Rift Zone is amazing.

I’m high on the Pivot Trail 429 and it’s on my shopping list. It seems to be a more XC-oriented trail bike, similar to the Tallboy. I also like the Yeti SB 130, but I don’t know about paying the premium for the Yeti downtube sticker.

Luccasf
07-10-2020, 01:19 PM
Thanks, everyone! Great ideas here.