PDA

View Full Version : Incredibly stupid question about Sidi shoe adjustment.

akelman
06-23-2020, 03:10 PM
I know this is incredibly dumb. I'm sorry. That said, I can't figure out how to adjust the buckle on a new pair of Sidi shoes.

See here:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50038243421_0d47bde83c_z.jpg

If you see the "12" and "13" there, I want those covered by the plastic piece that says "Sidi patented." In other words, I want to make this part of the buckle (is that even what this is?) looser. Any ideas about how to do this? Thanks!

charliedid
06-23-2020, 03:13 PM
It's a force fit. PUSH it or PULL it. In your case pull it.

It helps line up the fattest part of the pad over the center of your instep

charliedid
06-23-2020, 03:17 PM
Depending on the shoe you also might have two positions where the buckle attaches to the shoe. I forget but don't think the Boa ones do this. Which model is this?

I need some new kicks for the SPD

m_sasso
06-23-2020, 03:19 PM
Inter locking steps. Lift the bottom end towards the camera and pull up on the other end. Not a regular adjustment I would recommend changing everyday, more a set and forget adjustment.

charliedid
06-23-2020, 03:21 PM
Inter locking steps. Lift the bottom end towards the camera and pull up on the other end. Not a regular adjustment I would recommend changing everyday, more a set and forget adjustment.

Good point on lifting up.

Drako's?

akelman
06-23-2020, 03:22 PM

Yeah, this is a one-time thing. I just want to match the adjustment on my old Sidis (that absolutely need to go into a toxic waste facility).

AngryScientist
06-23-2020, 03:25 PM
watch this vid. about 1 minute in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzJX046h_Ks

akelman
06-23-2020, 03:25 PM
Drako's?

Yup. So far, at least, I'm not the hugest fan. But I'm going to give them some time, and see they if break in a bit/break my spirit enough that I no longer notice that they're pretty uncomfortable.

AngryScientist
06-23-2020, 03:27 PM
also: i had to look it up as well! i didnt want to force anything and risk breaking the strap.

akelman
06-23-2020, 03:28 PM
watch this vid. about 1 minute in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzJX046h_Ks

Perfect. Thanks so much. Looks like I'm going to wear them incorrectly—which I also did with my old pair—but I can live with that. The alternative is having a bit of the strap smack into my crank arm occasionally, and that's intolerable to me. (I'm a very delicate flower, yes.)

zennmotion
06-23-2020, 03:29 PM
stick a flat screwdriver underneath the strap (under the 12-13) to cover/separate the teeth and the ridges and pull.

And don't feel too bad. I remember the first time trying on my new Sidi Genius shoes, buckled them good and tight and could not figure out how to loosen the damn buckle to get them off. I was looking for a box cutter solution when my wife sat me down and figured it out in 30 seconds. Yay wife!

Dino Suegiù
06-23-2020, 03:29 PM
Squeezing the "SIDI PATENTED" clasp a bit after unhooking the primary clasp isn't working?
Detach primary clasp completely, squeeze secondary clasp, wiggle strap in/out.

SiDi Soft Instep Closure System/Arch Compression Strap (https://www.asgsport.co.za/index.php/a-closer-look-at-sidis-technology/)
Instructions for the substitution and adjustment of the “Instep Closure System”
To remove and to extend the Instep Closure System, lift piece -A- slightly and then pull to extract.
Insert the new Instep Closure System -B- into the two openings -C- and adjust as desired.
If the strap is too long, proceed cutting the extra length.

Short video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6dI4g06TKE

For more info google "SIDI Soft Instep 2 Closure system":
http://www.asgsport.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/instep.jpg

Slow typist: Many good replies already above.

charliedid
06-23-2020, 03:30 PM
Yup. So far, at least, I'm not the hugest fan. But I'm going to give them some time, and see they if break in a bit/break my spirit enough that I no longer notice that they're pretty uncomfortable.

Ugh, sorry but don't I recall seeing you sell a pair a while back? I'm just being helpful but shoes like these really do not stretch at all...

They sure look nice.

Dino Suegiù
06-23-2020, 03:34 PM
PS: akelman, which model/year SIDI is yours?
I really like that grey color. Is the entire shoe simple/discreet like that, just grey and black/white primarily?

EDIT: yikes, slow reader AND slow typist. I now see the model is "Drako".
How does "Drako" fit compared to "Genius 5"?
I sure wish newer SIDI had far fewer logos, like the older (my Genius 5) ones.
Wow, these have a lot of branding on them. Toe box logos on shoes drive me nuts.

akelman
06-23-2020, 03:37 PM
Ugh, sorry but don't I recall seeing you sell a pair a while back? I'm just being helpful but shoes like these really do not stretch at all...

They sure look nice.

I gave away a different pair. And it's not big deal if they don't stretch. I imagine they'll break in a bit. I've always worn Sidis and liked them. These are just, um, not very forgiving of my deformed feet.

akelman
06-23-2020, 03:38 PM
PS: akelman, which model/year SIDI is yours?
I really like that grey color. Is the entire shoe simple/discreet like that, just grey and black/white primarily?

EDIT: yikes, slow reader AND slow typist. I now see the model is "Drako".
How does "Drako" fit compared to "Genius 5"?

These are MTB shoes. I haven't worn road Sidis in a long time, so I can't offer you a useful point of comparison. Sorry!

Dino Suegiù
06-23-2020, 03:44 PM
These are MTB shoes. I haven't worn road Sidis in a long time, so I can't offer you a useful point of comparison. Sorry!

No worries. My MTB SIDI are "Dominator", same vintage as my road "Genius 5".

charliedid
06-23-2020, 03:50 PM
I gave away a different pair. And it's not big deal if they don't stretch. I imagine they'll break in a bit. I've always worn Sidis and liked them. These are just, um, not very forgiving of my deformed feet.

I hear ya. I so envy people who can just buy shoes and wear them carefree for years, then buy new ones. My wife..."what's the deal with your feet" is super understanding.

I bid you good luck!

akelman
06-23-2020, 04:06 PM
No worries. My MTB SIDI are "Dominator", same vintage as my road "Genius 5".

These are somewhat narrower and MUCH stiffer than Dominators. They seem to be very similar in terms of length.

Hindmost
06-23-2020, 04:53 PM

Years ago I think it was the US SIDI distributor said that the shoes really don't break in like a leather shoe would. When on your feet they will warm up and change shape subtly. I found that if you locate the right insole, comfort improves.

pjbaz
06-24-2020, 10:53 AM
Not a dumb question; I literally struggled with this adjustment just last week. Read the manual, then pulled and pushed and cursed until I got it to move.

Bob Ross
06-24-2020, 12:24 PM
So can I piggyback onto this thread and ask about the SIDI "Adjustable Heel Retention Device"?

I've read the manual, stared at the pictures, looked at the shoes quizzically, scratched my head...and I still can't figure out what that thing is for or how it's supposed to work!

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

AngryScientist
06-24-2020, 12:36 PM
So can I piggyback onto this thread and ask about the SIDI "Adjustable Heel Retention Device"?

I've read the manual, stared at the pictures, looked at the shoes quizzically, scratched my head...and I still can't figure out what that thing is for or how it's supposed to work!

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

did you look at the video i posted in post #7? That might help a little...

pdmtong
06-24-2020, 01:05 PM

I've read the manual, stared at the pictures, looked at the shoes quizzically, scratched my head...and I still can't figure out what that thing is for or how it's supposed to work! Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

the soft brass screw on the adjustable heel retention changes the shape of the back of the shoe from a "U" into an ever narrowing "V".

For me, the adjustment is a primary driver for me to buy Sidi. It is all the difference between my heel lifting slightly while pedaling to staying planted while pedaling. Consider the original Rapha GT shoe...my heel was floating around back there like crazy no matter what size shoe or how tight i cranked the straps. not a good fit for me.

If you are unsure if the adjustment is applicable to you, open it all the way go ride. then start closing it one full turn and keep track of the number of turns. once it gets clearly too tight, back it off one turn. now go ride. that would be the way to do a controlled test.

FWIW I use the screwdriver under the strap method to make the one and done adjustment of the soft strap.

The Drako is a nice shoe but I don't think of Sidi for dirt. There isn't enough armor on a shoe like that for the bushwhacking and rock crawling I sometimes find myself doing. With the advent of gravel and for people using mtb pedals on road bikes the Drako does makes a good choice. Alternatives include the carbon soled two-bolt offerings from Specialized and Giro.

Bob Ross
06-24-2020, 02:29 PM
did you look at the video i posted in post #7? That might help a little...

Ooh, I did not, will check it out. Thanks.

the soft brass screw on the adjustable heel retention changes the shape of the back of the shoe from a "U" into an ever narrowing "V".
...[snip]...
If you are unsure if the adjustment is applicable to you, open it all the way go ride. then start closing it one full turn and keep track of the number of turns. once it gets clearly too tight, back it off one turn. now go ride. that would be the way to do a controlled test.

Whoa, good intel, thank you very much!

pdmtong
06-24-2020, 02:55 PM
I forgot if the there is a heel screw on both sides I think so. Make sure you set both sides to neutral and then adjust both sides evenly and keep track. I would think most people will notice a snugging if the heel cup so now it’s up to trial and error to determine if that fit is a preference

If you tighten them with your feet out of the shoe you can see the change. May not be a useful feature for everyone but for me it’s absolutely a useful feature

akelman
06-24-2020, 03:25 PM
With the advent of gravel and for people using mtb pedals on road bikes the Drako does makes a good choice. Alternatives include the carbon soled two-bolt offerings from Specialized and Giro.

Yup, this is me. I'm not riding a dedicated road bike at this point—because I'm a broken man—and the Sidis are a perfectly capable road-adjacent MTB shoe, I'd say, including the incredible stiffness of the sole.

akelman
06-24-2020, 03:27 PM
I forgot if the there is a heel screw on both sides I think so. Make sure you set both sides to neutral and then adjust both sides evenly and keep track. I would think most people will notice a snugging if the heel cup so now it’s up to trial and error to determine if that fit is a preference

If you tighten them with your feet out of the shoe you can see the change. May not be a useful feature for everyone but for me it’s absolutely a useful feature

I'll give this a try as well later. I do get some heel lifting, and it would be nice to have that stop. On the other hand, there's a point beyond which I worry that these will become like something designed by the Marquis de Sade or Steve Martin's cruel shoes.

Dino Suegiù
06-24-2020, 03:30 PM
These are somewhat narrower and MUCH stiffer than Dominators. They seem to be very similar in terms of length.

And this statement absolutely proves that there is never an "incredibly stupid question", since as a result of your question and our subsequent dialogue I now know that Sidi Drako are narrower and stiffer than Dominators, and therefore very likely NOT a good choice for me as anything narrower/stiffer than my Dominators would not be comfortable.

So, thank you. :beer:

pdmtong
06-24-2020, 03:48 PM
I forgot if the there is a heel screw on both sides I think so. Make sure you set both sides to neutral and then adjust both sides evenly and keep track.

by set both sides to neutral I mean back the screw all the way out so it is almost falling out then tighten it in to where you can just feel the threads start to bite. now the heel adjustment is wide open AND the screw will not fall out. Next start the process of counting turns on both sides to close the cup and change the shape from "U" to "V"

I'll give this a try as well later. I do get some heel lifting, and it would be nice to have that stop. On the other hand, there's a point beyond which I worry that these will become like something designed by the Marquis de Sade or Steve Martin's cruel shoes.

I think you may be surprised. I dont feel the heel adjuster at all. all I feel is that the shoe fits a lot better to my heel and achilles and I do not get any annoying lift.

I think the broken man is in the rear view mirror as I recall a time where you being back on the bike was in serious question. Being back on the bike now is just a matter of enjoying what ever you can and are doing, and not comparing against what you once did.

That was a good note about USAA needing pictures. Thanks for the reminder and I am sorry you had to experience that.

akelman
06-24-2020, 03:56 PM
I think the broken man is in the rear view mirror as I recall a time where you being back on the bike was in serious question. Being back on the bike now is just a matter of enjoying what ever you can and are doing, and not comparing against what you once did.

I feel incredibly lucky to be back on the bike. I've ridden very nearly every day for more than three months. The exercise and time outside is keeping me sane as I work long days (and a lot of nights). I'm definitely trying not to think about what was. Or what was the time before that. I've had enough injuries and mourned enough sports that I'm pretty decent about living in the moment.

That was a good note about USAA needing pictures. Thanks for the reminder and I am sorry you had to experience that.

It really is just stuff that got taken. And it's given me an excuse to acquire different stuff to replace it! So I'm not complaining!

macaroon
06-24-2020, 04:12 PM
The Drako/Wire don't conform to your foot like older Sidis (Ergo 2 as an example). I actually think they're better for it, they feel more stable when pedalling.

charliedid
06-24-2020, 06:20 PM
Anyone have experience or an opinion on the Dragon fit vs Dominator 10?

Last pair of Doms I had were just okay in a 44 and for 20 years prior I loved them in a 43. I also see a Trace model now that is new? and supposedly has a more open toe box, though I'm over the double strap velcro idea due to my instep. I'm in a pair of reg Giro Code EC70 which if I am honest I hate but have ridden the past 3 years. Like many people I'm probably wearing them a size big and that's never good...