PDA

View Full Version : OT: DIY Camper Trailer Recommendations

brewsmith
06-23-2020, 02:26 PM
With my son turning one and on-grid travel being vastly reduced, we are looking to slowly build out a camper trailer to make adventures easier. I had originally thought of doing a van conversion, but we already have three vehicles that serve specific purposes (including a v8 4runner to haul a trailer) and that route is vastly more expensive

Being on a tighter budget with a single income currently, I am looking to start with something in the range of a 5x8-6x12 cargo trailer with rear and side doors, then gradually build it out over time. The main goals of this are:

- Separate sleeping space for my son (currently in a pack and play), and my wife and I. Down the road, murphy style beds installed and a lounge area for day time use
- Racks for bikes and a kayak/SUP
- Eventual basic kitchen/storage area with access from the rear that does not impact

There's more on the dream list, but this is the small start. Has anyone here done a similar build? I'm early in the process of looking at trailers etc. so any pics or tips to get the creative juices flowing would be appreciated!

AngryScientist
06-23-2020, 02:40 PM
having built my micro-camper on a budget, i'll tell you that you will need a LOT more room than 4x8 if you want to accomplish separate sleeping spaces.

mine is a lot of fun, but there is no way i could make this happen inside with my wife and any of my kids.

it's a big rabbit hole you're going down, but it's a fun one!

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/attachments/f62/114651d1582216002-vsalon-nomads-ride-v2-may-29-june-1-a-site-71-jpg

brewsmith
06-23-2020, 03:03 PM
having built my micro-camper on a budget, i'll tell you that you will need a LOT more room than 4x8 if you want to accomplish separate sleeping spaces.

mine is a lot of fun, but there is no way i could make this happen inside with my wife and any of my kids.

it's a big rabbit hole you're going down, but it's a fun one!

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/attachments/f62/114651d1582216002-vsalon-nomads-ride-v2-may-29-june-1-a-site-71-jpg

Sweet rig! Did you start with just a trailer base and build on top of that? I've seen a few listed locally that use a Harbor Freight base or similar. As far as the separate sleeping space, the current intent is to have him in the trailer with us in a rooftop tent, but it might make more sense to just get a bigger trailer and build them in. Go big or home I suppose....

Ozz
06-23-2020, 03:08 PM
Building one of these would be cool: https://www.territorysupply.com/teardrop-camper-kits-plans

C40_guy
06-23-2020, 03:08 PM
Ya, go big or go home. The Bambi and a vintage Wanderlodge will run you about the same coin. :)

robt57
06-23-2020, 03:12 PM
Being we only have a AWD 4CYL CRV. I got an Aluminum 329 lb 4x8 trailer. I used it for a lot of things, but limited by 2000 lb car towing capacity make one cautious. Thus the 250-300 lb lighter than a steel 4x8 approx. Now that can be payload weight and not trailer weight. Idea should be apparent there.

Plan is a removable DIY teardrop module to easily remove from the open Aluminum trailer. May just use stitch and glue canoe building method with all 1/4" material glassed over to keep to the lighter side.

Figure adapting the tons of teardrop plans out there to plop onto the trailer should be doable.

Just one idea direction for the thread...

AngryScientist
06-23-2020, 03:18 PM
yes, mine started life with the bones of a 4x8 utility trailer. i suspect this well certainly be too small for your wants, so i'd go bigger.

i was going to go down the teardrop route, but decided since i wanted to build it quickly for an event i wanted to attend, and practically speaking, i ditched the curves and went for a box shape, which ultimately yields more interior space.

i'd definitely be looking to start with an enclosed cargo trailer to keep things simpler.

AngryScientist
06-23-2020, 03:19 PM
Being we only have a AWD 4CYL CRV. I got an Aluminum 329 lb 4x8 trailer. I used it for a lot of things, but limited by 2000 lb car towing capacity make one cautious. Thus the 250-300 lb lighter than a steel 4x8 approx. Now that can be payload weight and not trailer weight. Idea should be apparent there.

Plan is a removable DIY teardrop module to easily remove from the open Aluminum trailer. May just use stitch and glue canoe building method with all 1/4" material glassed over to keep to the lighter side.

Figure adapting the tons of teardrop plans out there to plop onto the trailer should be doable.

Just one idea direction for the thread...

careful with that idea. remember that when you tow these things, bumping down the highway, rumbling over rough town roads and dirt paths, they get jostled around pretty good, and see some vibration, etc. you dont want to build them too lightly, or they'll rattle themselves apart.

robt57
06-23-2020, 03:21 PM
That is what the glass is for. If a stitch and glue boat can take white water, should be able to handle some road bumps and grinding I am hoping... ;)

careful with that idea. remember that when you tow these things, bumping down the highway, rumbling over rough town roads and dirt paths, they get jostled around pretty good, and see some vibration, etc. you dont want to build them too lightly, or they'll rattle themselves apart.

The OP with a V8 won't have limits my 2.4 CRV has, the 2k towing max I mean.

For the thread: https://www.doityourselfrv.com/free-teardrop-trailer-camper-plans/#.VzDyua7nU_o.pinterest

William
06-23-2020, 06:10 PM
Angry started this thread a while back...

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=153655&highlight=trailer

Some good info there too.

W.

paredown
06-23-2020, 07:15 PM
Thanks William--I just watched that youtube you posted on the original thread of the crazy Dutch popup--that is a beautiful thing!

Link for those who missed it last time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irAcBNe69zo