PDA

View Full Version : Titanium Fat-Tire Drop-Handlebar bicycles - my choices?

DHallerman
06-23-2020, 01:15 PM
Hey. My cycling life is changing. Among other things, that means I've fallen for modern fat-tire drop-handlebar bikes.

My latest love, the first new and complete bike I've bought from a bicycle shop in 28 years, one that came to me in early March just as self-quarantine started here in the lower Hudson Valley, is a gravel bike. A Kona Libre DL.

This machine is carbon frame, 650bx47, and I believe it's more on the mountain bike end of the gravel bike spectrum than the road bike realm. This Kona, aka Venus (I name all of my bikes either directly or indirectly from their color), delights me every time I ride it.

For me and cycling, then, a new love means a search for more love. The broad outline of this search today means a titanium frame, the ability to run 700x40 tires, and more of a general road geometry for pavement both smooth and rough (of which we have more and more of around here), and for the unpaved roads in this area.

One bike I'm seriously considering is the Litespeed Cherohala. Any perspectives on that bike? And I was looking too at the Seven Evergreen S or perhaps the Moots Routt RSL. One thing I like about the Litespeed is delivery in 5 weeks.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and any ideas would be super helpful.

Dave, who has a longer story to tell about his ongoing love of fat-tire drop-handlebar bicycles which was for example the first bicycle he ever bought online from another cyclist and this before the web was ever invented which is a whole other story

ltwtsculler91
06-23-2020, 02:03 PM
I'd add No22 to your list. They're located in upstate NY and Scott there has described their Drifter gravel bike as having "Adirondak geometry" being designed for the mix of on/off road riding the crew at 22 does around NY on their usual rides.

Wait time will be a little more (12ish weeks for friend's bikes from them), but the ride is sublime and gets you that more "road-like" end of the gravel spectrum while still being quite capable on the rougher bits.

I've taken some friends out for a spin and would definitely be adding one to my collection to complement my No22 Reactor, which is my main on road ride, if I could swing the cost right now. I'd also check in with HilltopperNY on the forum as he's riding one and very happy with it.

robt57
06-23-2020, 02:32 PM
Just to stoke a fire a bit. Last year I could have typed that OP.

Mainly posting this as it actually fits 1.95 700 MTB tire, granted not much mud room, but I had to test fit to see how fat.

I wound up with a Lynskey Sale Pro CX with the idea to make a 650b Mongrel. I chose the the higher BB CX as My 8CM BB drop Strong and 650b drops the BB just a bit much. So starting out 13-4mm less drop hit the sweet spot for 650b.

Somewhat of a budget beast, as I already have a Strong Allroad.

Pics=Initial test roll build, and later iterations when I had too much time on my hands.

I had some fun with color, vinyl and clear with 700c Somas. But these days she sports the 47*650b Teravail Cannonballs. It is all good. The Temporary Steel Strong fork is still on it well over a year later, maybe get to a carbon fork.. eventually.

Hilltopperny
06-23-2020, 02:56 PM
I'd add No22 to your list. They're located in upstate NY and Scott there has described their Drifter gravel bike as having "Adirondak geometry" being designed for the mix of on/off road riding the crew at 22 does around NY on their usual rides.

Wait time will be a little more (12ish weeks for friend's bikes from them), but the ride is sublime and gets you that more "road-like" end of the gravel spectrum while still being quite capable on the rougher bits.

I've taken some friends out for a spin and would definitely be adding one to my collection to complement my No22 Reactor, which is my main on road ride, if I could swing the cost right now. I'd also check in with HilltopperNY on the forum as he's riding one and very happy with it.

Highly recommend the Drifter. It is my favorite bike and definitely more on the road end of the gravel spectrum, but fully capable off road. I have mine set up with a few different wheelsets depending on mood and terrain and couldn’t be happier. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200623/cb400c4f946d770e33dbd1ce23d23193.jpg
In 650b mode
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200623/5bc34847731157bf67583d8f199437e0.jpg
700c with Bon Jonshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200623/a9e8bda8f944463ddd86e5dedd419b4c.jpg
700c with my wet weather wheels and Challenge Gravel Grinder Pros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DHallerman
06-23-2020, 03:31 PM
Yah, I was wondering about No.22 Drifter. However, looking at the geometry chart (https://22bicycles.com/pages/drifter/), the size that would have a standover height I prefer (52 cm), is 35 mm short of my typical effective top tube on the 56 cm size. That size's standover goes past my any-type-of-bike comfort zone by 15 mm.

Probably best to speak to them, though, to see what's possible. Thanks!

Dave, who surmises then that the company name comes from Rte. 22 in New York State which is personally very cool since I love Rte. 22

DHallerman
06-23-2020, 03:36 PM
Highly recommend the Drifter. It is my favorite bike and definitely more on the road end of the gravel spectrum, but fully capable off road. I have mine set up with a few different wheelsets depending on mood and terrain and couldn’t be happier.

Great pix! Did you get yours with the stock geometry?

ltwtsculler91
06-23-2020, 03:36 PM
Yah, I was wondering about No.22 Drifter. However, looking at the geometry chart (https://22bicycles.com/pages/drifter/), the size that would have a standover height I prefer (52 cm), is 35 mm short of my typical effective top tube on the 56 cm size. That size's standover goes past my any-type-of-bike comfort zone by 15 mm.

Probably best to speak to them, though. Thanks!

They will do custom geometry for an extra $500, and for many of us, it's well worth it. Mine is custom because of my crazy inseam for my 5'10 height, so I basically have a 56 vertically with a 54tt to get the head tube and seat tube the right lengths and not have 15cm of drop...

Just keep in mind, it's custom geometry within their designed geo/vision for the model. So they take the base bike and build one that will ride/handle like they have in mind for a Gravel bike

Hilltopperny
06-23-2020, 03:47 PM
Great pix! Did you get yours with the stock geometry?

Yes, it is a stock 54cm. They will do custom geometry as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

veloduffer
06-23-2020, 05:10 PM
I've got an Evergreen S in Seven's standard geometry. Very nice all-rounder bike that can easily fit 40mm tires (closer to 44mm). Mine has a Whiskey fork and is configured more for road riding (50/34 chainrings, 11-28 cassette) but I will be switching it a Shimano GRX drivetrain to make it more gravel-like.

This move is to accommodate a Mosaic GT-1, which is more road oriented with shorter stays (fits up to 38mm tires), steeper head angle and low bottom bracket. It still needs to be built so I can't comment on the ride. Mosaic bought Spectrum Powder Works and can paint your bike, if so desired.

I also have a Moots Baxter, which is more like a 29er mtn bike. The fork can be interchanged with a suspension fork (100mm travel) or rigid (length 48cm vs usual 40cm gravel and 38cm road). It's more off-road, adventure bike with plenty of eyelets and a third bottle holder. It can fit tires of 2.25" wide. I use it for more gnarly roads, as the position is more upright and has wide flare handlebars.

https://johnz.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2869005850-4.jpg

https://johnz.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p3880082374-4.jpg

jpsawyer23
06-23-2020, 08:26 PM
I just saw an Otso Warakin Ti a few months ago and it was definitely impressive. I think it can run up to a 29"x2.1" tire. But can also run smaller tires while remaining the same BB height due to their special dropout design.
https://otsocycles.com/collections/warakin-ti-bikes

Andy sti
06-23-2020, 09:44 PM
Dave,
What you’re looking for is just a standard gravel/all road Ti frame. Pretty much every Ti maker/brand sells something like this. Almost all have clearance for 40-45mm tires depending on the model and the brand.

A monster cross is what I consider a “fat-tire drop bar bike” and if that’s what you’re looking for you may have the best luck in the custom rather than stock realm.

Have fun!