PDA

View Full Version : Gentlepersons! Your ride reports pls.

Too Tall
05-17-2004, 05:39 AM
Another weekend of racing. The best report is from #1 wife. Queen raced in a tough RR in a mixed field of 234 women. The course includes a 1+ mile dirt / gravel section that usually causes 1/3 of the fields to drop out. She hung tough and ended up in a field sprint. This weekend CHIX rule! I quit after one lap, hit a huge pothole and my bars rotated!!! Hung in for another 1/2 lap and said to myself "self, this blows". That was TOTALLY my fault as I got too confident with not using my torque wrench. Checking the bolt torque afterwards confirmed I was off by 20nm. Friggin newbies ;)

Sunday I made up for it by torturing myself and producing a 3000kj ride in only 55 miles erk erk erk. During the last 20 miles I joined up with the local University racing team who were pretty busy smelling themselves (wink wink). Sigh, these kids. Youth really is wasted, yah know?

OH, a HUGE congratualtions to our own KenO for his stellar TT result.

So? Wazzzap wid you?

JohnS
05-17-2004, 06:32 AM
Did 52 in the chilly overcast on Saturday and went for a six mile hike on sunday.

BumbleBeeDave
05-17-2004, 06:48 AM
46 earlier in the week with a 17.9 average. Up the hills to Mariaville, around the lake, and down the screamer hill on 160.

. . . did 51 Friday evening, finishing up in the dark, but I had my trusty blinkie light glued to my butt. Only 17.3 average with quite a bit of climbing. I actually hit an honest 50.7 mph coming down county route 160. First time I’ve ever seen 50 on my speedo! :eek:

Hike in the Adirondacks Saturday--Pitchoff Mountain. Rained on top, knee buster on the way down, but not a Death March.

42 yesterday recovery ride--no climbing after the knee buster Saturday. Just went out 5S with Keybank Tom (Satan’s Butler!) And a few other guys, then came back. 18.4 average. Rode to Starbuck’s and had a (gasp!) Cookie and coffee and sat outside because the days was soooo beautiful that I just could not face up to going home and mowing the lawn.

BBDave

dave thompson
05-17-2004, 06:56 AM
Took the 'new' kirk Terraplane out for a 20 mile shakedown cruise Saturday, and then for a 90 mile ride Sunday that got rained out at mile 60. 14.5 average for 60 miles. Not too bad for an old guy riding alongside his wife (on her Calfee) the whole way!

Kevin
05-17-2004, 07:40 AM
Saturday 51 miles
Sunday 35 miles

Kevin

Tom
05-17-2004, 08:05 AM
- Sun: The ugly Rynex-Mariaville-Ennis debacle. 48 or so.
- Mon: Off.
- Tues: Rynex - Mariaville - 160 before work. 34 or so. I can't remember.
- Wed: Around the river. 32. Nice morning. More lilacs.
- Thu: Up 160 - Mariaville - 159 - Gordon. Black spotted dog charged right on the pitch where I couldn't get anything going. I have to remember to clip out the leg on the side with the dog, not the side away from the dog.
- Fri: Around the river. Passed a couple of people from the local racing club, can't understand why they didn't latch on but they must have been going somewhere else. Got humbled very seriously on the last climb home by some guy wearing a humungous jacket plowing into a headwind at about 20mph. Uphill. Ow.
- Sat: Dodged thunderheads for 50. In the last five miles got up under one. BOOM! It went. AAAAAAAAAA! I went. Ran for home just as fast as I could going "Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!"
- Sun: Rode with BBDave until he (the one with the brains) went straight back and I went over Rynex with Cummings and Lessard. Big monster Rottweiler tied to the tree with what looked like an electrical cord nearly gave me a heart attack.

This time of year is "Dad, can I have the car", followed later that evening by "Hey, let's race" followed the next morning by "I have no idea how the frame got ripped up like that." Riding some of the same country roads all the time, I check out the new skid marks/field plowings. Rynex has a new one where it looks like a 180 and off into a ravine about 15 feet deep. That had to hurt.

H.Frank Beshear
05-17-2004, 08:07 AM
Our club has a neat ride every spring. We load bikes and bodies into a bus and get dropped off 100 miles or so into the wind. Some years you can really fly :D . This year was nice, cool weather, winds at 10 or so. At 70miles the route /wind changed direction and became more of a quartering head wind. I wound up with 102 miles and a 17.6 average, which is fairly good for my level of condition and the miles so far. This was my first long ride on the concours and I was impressed with the ride comfort. Race x-lites and tufo tubulars help I'm sure. So far the tubulars have proven to be very comfortable and durable. Sunday I finally got my garden planted herbs and tomatoes mostly with a few thai peppers thrown in. They're too small to that hot right :rolleyes: :beer: . Hope everyone had a great weekend Frank

MallyG
05-17-2004, 08:39 AM
Average speed was 15.7mph.

keno
05-17-2004, 08:45 AM
for guiding me through training for my first TT on Saturday. 10.6 miles, avg watts 255 (training based on Power Tap wattage), avg speed 21.2 mph, heart rate avg 168 vs 180 max (this is just between us). Training goals were exceeded. While small potatoes for some young pups out there, superb eating for this old man (62, for those who may have missed my 39 prior references).

So I got hooked and ordered a Cervelo P2K all decked out from my LBS in Paraguay - read, I may borrow some old aero bars from a buddy and bolt them on the Cannondale sitting on the trainer and see if my body will do that fold, spindle, multilate position.

Thanks to all my well-wishers who made this a tun o' fun.

Oh, Sunday, watching two poor slobs choke in a playoff with Sergio Garcia in the Byron Nelson Classic (BTW, way back when, Nelson won 11 tournaments in a row, had enough money to buy the farm he and his wife wanted, bought it and quit tournament golf) while I drank Sierra Nevada from a horizontal position.

keno

davids
05-17-2004, 08:54 AM
26.5 on a beautiful Saturday morning. A solo ride through a few towns south of Boston. Into the wind for the first half, and then I flew home. Averaged 16.5, which is good for me for this time of year.

32 yesterday with a friend I've never ridden with before. He's a triathelete, and has always done the short "sprint" events. This year, he's working up to a "half Ironman", and needs to get used to longer rides. We headed toward the southwestern suburbs, and had a lovely ride. 16.2 average speed.

Oh, he showed up with an old Bianchi, and told me he'd just bought a new bike (it was threatening rain, and he was feeling protective of his new baby.) "You've never heard of this company," he says, "It's called a Pegoretti..." He's got an 8:30. He's not well-versed on our obsessive little world of bike geekery. So, I filled him in on what he'd acquired.

He went to International Bike, and told them to make a recommendation. After he'd ridden the 8:30, he rode a bunch of other bikes, some costing a lot more. He stuck with the Pegoretti. I can't wait to see him on it.

Today, I rode to work. It will be my only commuting opportunity this week.

TimD
05-17-2004, 09:02 AM
Friday, 36 @ 19.6
Saturday, 10 to buy my daughter a hair net for her dance recital. Ninety-plus degrees.
Sunday, off, but did see at Peg 0830 AM at Int'l in Newton, followed by quick spin on a C III (sigh).
Today: 4 of us, 2.5 working, main man is a Cat 3 who was interested in "some efforts" (uh oh) after flatting early in a race yesterday and retiring. Twenty-six miles, 1350 of climbing, 21.1 MPH, I will be sorry tomorrow. :)

Climb01742
05-17-2004, 09:39 AM
friday picked up my new IF CJ...60 minute evening spin.
sat...2 1/2 to 3 hrs on CJ
sun...kept waiting for rain to stop...never quite did...90 minutes on CIII

dirtdigger88
05-17-2004, 09:54 AM
During the week, 0 miles. I was have one of my "migrane" episodes. :crap: Thank God for modern medicine! I would probably fail a pee test right now though. Good news no head ache since Thursday night. :banana:

Saturday. Easy 45 mile loop alone. Never ventured far from my house, I was doing some wheel comparisons.

Sunday. Moderate 50 miler with on friend. I hope I can get back on track now without my friend the migrane. :)

Jason

Too Tall
05-17-2004, 09:55 AM
Had to post this. Wife is on the right in the red DCVELO jersey. *She cleans up real purty ;)

http://www.ahealinghand.com/images/general/doreen-poolsville.jpg

victoryfactory
05-17-2004, 10:02 AM
53 miles on Sat. Bridgehampton to Montauk Light House Long Island, NY Finished with a proper sunburn on my arms, (that's more like it)

With a 10mph tailwind on the way out, I was Lance, 10mph headwind on the way back, I was gramps.

Sun. 35 Miles also nice Queens to Westbury NY

VF

TimB
05-17-2004, 10:04 AM
Saturday - I had the 'late' shift since KT wanted to get out and back before naptime. Managed to work in 30 fixed-gear miles feeling okay, with time to stop and help some poor slob with a flat on his Murray mtn bike. No spare tube, no pump, no clue, and a NUTTED axle. Lucky for him I was on my fixie and was carrying my wrench and some Park glueless patches. His rubber rim strip had torn and the nipple had punctured his tube. We got him going again with a strong suggestion he get a new tube and rim strip. I actually suggested a new bike, but he said he was possibly going to return to his country in a couple months and didn't want the expense.

Sunday- I got the early shift, which meant a trip to the gym due to the early morning rain in the DC area. Some time on the stationary bike, some lifting and a few laps in the outdoor pool.

davep
05-17-2004, 11:11 AM
Saturday - 71 miles, very windy, but mostly a cross wind. 18.2 average, which is good for me.

Sunday - took my son to the local pool/waterpark where we got rained on, which didn't matter until he started to shiver. Came home and gave the bike a thorough cleaning.

ericmurphy
05-17-2004, 11:59 AM
Saturday: 77 miles with (or actually well behind) the hammerheads from City Cycle. I didn't see much of these guys after I got over the Golden Gate Bridge (which is only about four miles into the ride!).

The major climbing on this route (2,000 feet in about seven miles) is almost fifty miles into the ride, which makes it kind of challenging for someone like me (not too fast in the hills). But then the next seven miles are a sweet downhill, about half switchbacks and half long straight portions. I can usually get up past 35 MPH at least somewhere in there.

Sunday: 40-mile recovery ride, from downtown San Francisco to Tiburon Harbor and back. Nothing qualifying as a hill on this ride, just a few gentle rollers. Well, actually, the hill from Sausalito to the Bridge qualifies as a hill, even though it's only probably four or five hundred feet of elevation gain over two miles.

Both days were totally sunny, but not super-warm yet. Mostly upper 50s-low sixties. I guess it's not until July or so that Marin really heats up.

It seems like by this point in the season I should be able to handle two long rides in the same weekend. Maybe by next week?

Dr. Doofus
05-17-2004, 12:28 PM
Sat -- 3.5 hours soloduo with the Doc. Rolling my bud the 42x14 at a steady 95+...not sure of miles....

Getting ready to start breathing hard this week....

SteveE
05-17-2004, 01:24 PM
Friday - 62 miles/4200 ft of climbing. Three of us went out and rode up Old La Honda, Skyline to Hwy 92, down 92, around the Crystal Springs Reservoir, and back.

Saturday - 62 miles (again)/2800 ft. of climbing. Led our club's Saturday ride on a fairly flat route. Averaged around 17.5 mph. Tried to keep the group from fragmenting -- with only partial success.

Sunday - 85 miles/5600 ft. of climbing. Headed over to the coast on Sunday's club ride. Through stealth and cunning I again managed not to get completely dropped by this group (Thank goodness for re-group points at the top of the climbs!). Ended up completely spent with an average speed of 18.9 mph for the entire route.

Monday - R&R.

Dekonick
05-17-2004, 03:31 PM
Friday 20 miles - flat and slow.

Sat - wife insisted on a yard sale to empty the garage... was a nice day too!
got in a quick 20

Sunday worked my usual 24 hour shift and had absolutely no sleep! (I did get to cardiovert someone at 3 am tho! OUCH!!!)

Monday (today) forced myself to go for a quick 25 mile spin. Waved to alot of nice people, came home, took a nap, now looking at these posts!

Thinking about watching the Giro on the replay... -or- go to bed... not sure what to do.
:cool:

EnduroFit
05-17-2004, 04:27 PM
Hi Gang,

Sat.
Rode 72 miles on the new C III. Had a female friend run off the road by a truck, no accident but my other buddy called the cops after a verbal confrontation and they were looking for the punk...said they would charge him with careless and recklessness! About 2100ft of climbing, a 16 avg with a 10-15 mph headwind for the last 25 miles. 4:35:00 ride time.

Sun.

32 miles on the mountain bike, 9.5 avg and 1300ft of climbing. 3:18:00 total ride time. Stuck in the torrential downpour with thunder and lightning for the last 8 miles.

Great weekend.

Brent

pbbob
05-17-2004, 05:11 PM
lots of interesting ride reports which is what I need to see after another weekend without the bike. sat did the ellis island, statue of liberty ground zero pilgramage and sunday attended nephews baptism. there are no more social obligations anytime soon look forward to some good weekend rides.

Elefantino
05-17-2004, 08:01 PM
The inaugural Flagler Beach Rotary Club Century was on Sunday. Not a bad turnout: 200 pre-registered and another 250 of us registered in the morning.

Ride started at 8:05 a.m. from Flagler Palm Coast High, then headed out to beautiful Florida A1A, right along the Atlantic. Headed south along the beach, saw another Serotta (Legend) and asked, "Hey, d'you get your bike at Wal-Mart, too?" (Owner laughed, said he liked my paint job.) Then turned into a state park and headed west on the Old Dixie Highway, some really cool sweeper turns through the trees, doing a nice 20-21 average in an impressive and well-mannered paceline.

Then it was out onto some country roads, not bad, except for about a two-mile stretch on State Road 100 at about the 40-mile mark. The road was being repaired and it was so jarring that several riders reported losing their fillings, crowns, bridges, loosely attached body parts, etc.

All was well until we hit the 67-mile mark in St. Augustine. By that time a strong southeast wind had picked up, and the rest of the way home was east and south — including about a 30-mile stretch on Florida A1A again, right into the teeth of the wind. It was brutal. Having roughly the same aerodynamic profile as a skyscraper, I do not ride well into the wind and was struggling to stay above 14, as were many others. Those others were not as tortured as I was, however, because at Mantanzas Inlet one of the fisherpersons was playing William Hung's "She Bangs" on his boom box and I had that tune in my head, pedal stroke by pedal stroke, for the next 25 miles. :crap:

However, the consolation was that the last three miles were due west, so I cranked it up to 23 (37.5 down the Intracoastal bridge) all the way back to the high school, just to look impressive. :banana:

My average, 16.6, was not impressive. My slowest century in memory. However, considering the twin handicaps of wind and William Hung, quite understandable.

I also understand that the roads will be improved for next year's ride. I will return. I hope the wind won't.

Dekonick
05-17-2004, 08:02 PM
Sure wish my wife would get off my case about not riding longer than an hour... I cheat and sneak it up to 1.5-2 and she gets mad. Man I hope we get pregnant soon!

csb
05-17-2004, 08:20 PM
did you get vertical yet

Madship
05-17-2004, 09:33 PM
Friday 36 hard mostly flat miles South (against the wind)then North (with the wind). I had the wind at my back for 12.5 miles and avereaged 20.92 mph for that part. Held my own forwhat seemed to be the entire 23.5 into the averiging 16.8.

Saturday 57 miles. my longest ride of the year so far. Managed to miss the rain and causght up with a friend I hadn't seen since Christmas. 3 hours 15 minutes in the saddle. Great work torwards my first century.

Sunday 43 miles. Suffered like a dog at the back of a group ride. The elastic finally broke with about 5 miles left. Got back to the car with an 18.5 average. I was elated after the depression of being droped.

Monday 38 miles. Missed the turn to Porters Corners, ended up in Lake desolation. OH MY GOD 1200 feet of climbing in 4 miles. Then it turns to dirt. turned around after about a mile and a half of that. Then OH MY GOD 1200 feet of descent over 4 miles.

What a killer weekend.

keno
05-18-2004, 05:15 AM
yes, to get another Sierra Nevada.

keno

M_A_Martin
05-18-2004, 06:23 AM
Friday: 20 mile dirt road/hill training course at around 17mph avg on the cross bike. Occasional pouring rain, dirt roads, mud, pot holes. Lots of fun :) On the plus side, the rain washed a lot of the mud off before we made it back to the cars.

Saturday and Sunday: Spent sitting in MMBA Trail Coordinator class in Grayling kicking myself because it was May 15th (opening day of trout season), I was moments away from the Ausable (one of those holy waters for trout fishermen), and I didn't bring my fly gear. The weekend got better, I blew the dampner out on my Judy on the Jamis. Abandoned the ride with the boys (We're going slow and won't drop you) at Heartrate hill. Spun into town and hung out at a cool bike shop for a while.

And those were my rides for the weekend.

larryp2
05-18-2004, 06:51 AM
Saturday, 109.7 up to Great Sacandaga and back, only lite rain, missed storms by pure luck

Sunday out to breakfast with wife and then nothin'!

Tom
05-18-2004, 07:21 AM
You put me in mind to get down my copy of Trout Madness and read it again. Why is it that there seems to be a lot of really good writing about trout fishing?

Spectrum Bob
05-18-2004, 07:57 AM
Saturday: My wife and I got a sitter and got in 44 miles together, what a treat.
Sunday: I did a familiar 27 mile loop with a new personal best time, it felt great.

Congratulations to Keno and Almost As Tall on great competitive rides this weekend!!!

Spectrum Bob

Ginger
05-18-2004, 12:28 PM
Tom,

Trout fishing entails long walks in the river...patience waiting for the fish, and a bit of skill...

All this lends for long hours of contemplation and relflection when the fish aren't biting that allows writers to truely ply their craft...or write a bunch of bs that sounds really good.

Right now I could use a walk in the river. My laptop was stolen from my desk at work over the weekend and I'm trying to recreate work...fortunately, writing things the second time is easier than writing things the first time. Deadline is next Monday.

Still gathering data...

Ginger

Ken Lehner
05-19-2004, 08:06 AM
Saturday: 27 easy miles on the TT bike in preparation for Sundays District TT. Actually average 20.0 without trying. The most beautiful day for cycling this year, at least here in New Jersey.
Sunday: District TT, 40K. 35 minute warmup on rollers, then the race. Broke an hour (59:43) for only the second time, and missed my PR from 9 years ago by about 6 seconds (happy day!). That gave me 11/41 in the 45+; there are a lot of fast "old" guys around here.

Sandy
05-19-2004, 08:44 AM
Quite an impressive job. You must be justifiably quite proud of both your time and your ability to ride as fast as you did 9 years ago (forget the 6 seconds).As you said, there must be some really fast 45 plus year old riders there. What may I ask was the winning time?

Sandy

Ken Lehner
05-19-2004, 09:29 AM
Quite an impressive job. You must be justifiably quite proud of both your time and your ability to ride as fast as you did 9 years ago (forget the 6 seconds).As you said, there must be some really fast 45 plus year old riders there. What may I ask was the winning time?

Sandy

I should have been faster, but thanks. I got some feedback from the #5 overall (who is also a coach) that my bars need to go lower; I moved them down 1.25" yesterday for today's ride.

Here's the page with the results: http://www.lmsports.com/time04.htm

The winning 45+ was 54:48. The winning Senior (NJ resident) woman's time was 1:00:33; she's 51! I've seen her do under 59 in the past few years.