PDA

View Full Version : Poll:How do you position your shoulders relative to your head and chest when riding?

Steve in SLO
06-23-2020, 11:55 AM
I’ve been riding for a long, long time and I have never really thought much about where my shoulders are relative to the plane of my chest and head. While riding yesterday I realized that if I rotated my pelvis forward I could keep a more neutral line between my shoulders/chest/head, rather than extending my shoulders forward to reach the bars. Anyway, what do you think your position is, and why do you think it is good/bad?
I thought this would be a fun poll, aided by my high-tech graphics.

Smitty2k1
06-23-2020, 12:21 PM
Based on how sore my neck always gets I'm definitely in the "forward" camp.

Been trying to work on something more neutral but it just doesn't feel comfortable or natural.

robt57
06-23-2020, 12:26 PM
I'll just say if you are hunching your shoulders, don't. Neutral, your body in it's entirety as neutral as possible. If not learn, else you will be having muscles opposing muscles and wasting a lot energy making yourself miserable..

teleguy57
06-23-2020, 01:11 PM
I strive for neutral. On the road I'll do a check-in and sometimes find that I need to conscientiously relax just that little bit more. And then comes the "ahhhh" (that's a good ahhhhhhh, not an "oh crap" AHHHH!)

Steve in SLO
06-23-2020, 01:29 PM
I have found out for me it starts with my pelvis being rotated forward on the saddle so that my back forms as straight line as possible from my tailbone to my neck. If I do that, then I can ride in a relatively neutral position (which is what I believe is optimal). If I get tired or sit with my pelvis more vertical on the saddle, my back rounds out like a C and I have to reach with my arms and shoulders to the bars.

Ozz
06-23-2020, 03:02 PM
If I don't keep shoulders neutral....my thumbs get all tingly and then go numb.....(pinched nerves in neck)......not ideal, but it does remind me to work on my core.

teleguy57
06-23-2020, 04:27 PM
timely article on PezCyclingNews. (https://pezcyclingnews.com/toolbox/fixing-neck-and-upper-back-tightness/)

robt57
06-23-2020, 04:50 PM
I have found out for me it starts with my pelvis being rotated forward

I'll second this. The glutes and hamstrings are power and big muscles. So the more rotated forward the pelvis is, those big muscles are working stretched more in use. It also helps your back be a suspension component much more-so that any hunch in your back allows.

Well for me, anyway. But I am 63 and still avg 9CM saddle to bar drop [10 on very go fast bikes] and about same setback with good pedaling efficiency. Back bothers me less than with less drop, you just need more setback to balance.

More setback=higher saddle, so don't forget to drop it as you add setback... yada

The other component is, at least for me, totally different saddles work for forward rotated pelvis than otherwise, definitely worth mentioning. Sitting on that part on your taint is different than mainly using the sit bones, be warned. ;)

Tickdoc
06-23-2020, 07:45 PM
I think your diagram is showing all three phases of me on a long ride...beginning, middle, end.