PDA

View Full Version : OT: Steak Knives

AngryScientist
06-23-2020, 07:58 AM
We cooked an amazing prime rib roast over the weekend. Amazing hardly descibres it actually. Used my new kamado grill to slow cook it for 5.5 hours and then a quick reverse sear. perfect, even temp throughout.

i also got a new carving knife for father's day, and it reminds me of what a pleasure it is to use a high quality - sharp knife.

our steak knives are a collection of low end wustov's that are in bad shape. they're over a decade old now and the handles are pretty shot, and they never held an edge well - so time to upgrade!

so - serrated or straight blade?

recommendations? nothing crazy expensive. i can handle about 100 bucks or so for a set of 4?

eddief
06-23-2020, 08:12 AM
https://www.opinel-usa.com/collections/bon-appetit-box-set/products/bon-appetit-steak-knife-set?variant=31773282566234

Chris
06-23-2020, 08:13 AM
We just got the Wusthof 8 piece stainless. They come in a nice box. Serrated. About half of your budget. We’re pleased so far.

jmoore
06-23-2020, 08:30 AM
:following:

loxx0050
06-23-2020, 08:41 AM
Cutco knives are awesome for steak use. They have an actual steak knive offering but I just use either a 6" length one or a spatula head shaped one that I have that is also around the same length.

In my younger years I got suckered into their network marketing scheme in hopes of a $14/hr job (as they advertised) and tried to hawk their wares. Basically made enough commission to pay for the starter set of knives to show off for demos. Still cuts real nice actually even after 20 years. You can tell one isn't as sharp as the rest since that's seen the most use but it still cuts pretty well overall (better than any cheap knife even if you sharpen it decently). They all still pass the soft tomato cut test.

But admittedly I use it only to cut fruit, bread (got a 10" blade) and meat. For cooking I do use nice forged knives set I have.

dancinkozmo
06-23-2020, 08:43 AM
this deal cannot be beat.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wzULnlHr8w

lookout2015
06-23-2020, 08:51 AM
Serrated is more traditional but I prefer straight:

- steak knives are used on “bad” cutting surfaces (plates, not cutting boards) so wind up needing sharpening. I can sharpen straight easily myself. Serrated, not so much

- serrated is really for cutting hard outside + soft inside w/o totally tearing up the inside (crusty bread, etc). That doesn’t really align with what you want when you’re cutting meat

- slice down with sharp straight makes a cleaner cut than sawing motion with serrated, I think

Just my opinions. We can probably get 10 pages of thread with differing ones :banana:

akelman
06-23-2020, 09:13 AM
These were Wirecutter's recommendation a couple of years ago. They're reasonably priced (if $100 is your ceiling, you're buying in the reasonably priced category, which is what we did). They look nice. They cut well. We like 'em.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017P0GXWG/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AwEAAAAAAAAAANLN

chrismoustache
06-23-2020, 09:17 AM
I'm going Cutco when the time comes. They cut incredibly well, have good edge retention, and are US made. Easy choice!

b33
06-23-2020, 09:20 AM
I had Wustoff and thought I was where I needed to be. Dalstrong is awesome and look even better. They are all over Amazon so check there.

Not get too off topic, but for Father's Day the wife and I splurged on some WAGYU A5. Expensive, but no other steak can come even remotely close. Highly suggest at least once a year to try this.

AngryScientist
06-23-2020, 09:25 AM
I had Wustoff and thought I was where I needed to be. Dalstrong is awesome and look even better. They are all over Amazon so check there.

Not get too off topic, but for Father's Day the wife and I splurged on some WAGYU A5. Expensive, but no other steak can come even remotely close. Highly suggest at least once a year to try this.

nice! where did you order the wagyu from? or did you get it local?

Likes2ridefar
06-23-2020, 09:34 AM

My local shop had some last time I was there. Looked amazing. I don’t do pure steak, but frankly I’d be scared to cook it even if I did.

The marbling was beautiful and it looked like it would melt in the mouth with tons of flavor. Pricey though, I think it was $160/lb!

fmradio516
06-23-2020, 09:56 AM
My local shop had some last time I was there. Looked amazing. I don’t do pure steak, but frankly I’d be scared to cook it even if I did.

The marbling was beautiful and it looked like it would melt in the mouth with tons of flavor. Pricey though, I think it was $160/lb!

I think thats a very fair price. I would love to find some A5 locally like that. The market is so saturated with "american wagyu" hybrid crap that has absolutely nothing to do with actual wagyu..

Bentley
06-23-2020, 09:57 AM
I suggest looking into some Laguiole steak knives, I’ve had good luck with those

Ray

b33
06-23-2020, 10:04 AM

https://grandwesternsteaks.com

All it took was some salt, pepper and I did it on low heat in the weber and once it got to 115 took it out to rest and then reverse sear. A slow cook and the reverse sear is the best way to cook steak, lamb and pork in my view (OP seems to agree). The WAGYU is incredible and really isn't like anything else out there. Try it and you will not regret it.

Also, watch GUYA Foods on Youtube - did the pasteurized egg yolk and it was incredible as well.

AngryScientist
06-23-2020, 10:09 AM
https://grandwesternsteaks.com

All it took was some salt, pepper and I did it on low heat in the weber and once it got to 115 took it out to rest and then reverse sear. The reverse sear is the best way to cook in my view. The WAGYU is incredible and really isn't like anything else out there. Try it and you will not regret it.

Also, watch GUYA Foods on Youtube - did the pasteurized egg yolk and it was incredible as well.

be still my heart. i could get in trouble on this website!

thanks b33!

jb_11
06-23-2020, 10:24 AM
These maybe slightly above your price range, but I've been extremely happy with their paring and sandwich knives. They hold an edge really well and feel good in the hand. They also look great with birch handles and engine turning on the steel. Free lifetime sharpening onsite, or you pay shipping.

As a side note, if you find yourself in SE Ohio, the carving museum is incredible! Tremendous work there.

https://warthercutlery.com/collections/steak-knives

benb
06-23-2020, 10:32 AM
Interesting if Wagyu is hard to get right now.

We got Sushi last night.. the local place has a specialty roll that has slivers of flame cooked wagyu on top with fish on the inside.

They called back after we ordered to tell us they had none of the beef.

Spinner
06-23-2020, 11:03 AM
These maybe slightly above your price range, but I've been extremely happy with their paring and sandwich knives. They hold an edge really well and feel good in the hand. They also look great with birch handles and engine turning on the steel. Free lifetime sharpening onsite, or you pay shipping.

As a side note, if you find yourself in SE Ohio, the carving museum is incredible! Tremendous work there.

https://warthercutlery.com/collections/steak-knives

Warther knives are great to use and beautiful too.

One correction, Warther is located in NE Ohio, in the small town of Dover.

jb_11
06-23-2020, 11:16 AM
Warther knives are great to use and beautiful too.

One correction, Warther is located in NE Ohio, in the small town of Dover.

Split the difference - Central East Ohio ;)

evidence120
06-23-2020, 11:23 AM
I bought 4 Misono Molybdenum Hankotsu knives for our steak knives. A 145mm (5.7") Japanese blade and they are very sharp. Easy touch-up sharpening on a wet stone every year keeps them that way.

Ken Robb
06-23-2020, 11:29 AM
I have been known for years as a good steak cooker and carver so I have had and still have MANY different steak knives. Without getting into a recitation of specific knives I will just say that serrated blades have always worked quite well and require little to no sharpening even at low price points. I most often grab Henkels 4-5" blade knife with black wooden? handles. They have very small serrations near the tip of thin flexible blades which work very well for trimming meat off twisty bones like T-Bones.

Ozz
06-23-2020, 11:42 AM
...I most often grab Henkels 4-5" blade knife with black wooden? handles. They have very small serrations near the tip of thin flexible blades which work very well for trimming meat off twisty bones like T-Bones.
We also have some Henckels Steak Knives
(https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/zwilling-ss-twin-4-piece-steak-knife-set/?catalogId=22&sku=2815918&cm_ven=PLA&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=Cutlery%20%3E%20Steak%20Knives&cm_ite=2815918&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrb_356-Y6gIVSxitBh0BvA2cEAQYAiABEgKO7PD_BwE). Ours are one piece stainless steel though. It is a modern look, and not really my favorite, but they are great knives....razor sharp after 20+ yrs (wedding gift). Great shape, and easy to cut around and close to bone.

merckxman
06-23-2020, 12:04 PM
These run the gamut from not so well made to beautiful, need to look carefully.
I suggest looking into some Laguiole steak knives, I’ve had good luck with those

Ray

Joe
06-23-2020, 01:23 PM

I have ordered from Snake River Farms several times and have always been pleased with the quality of their products.

https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/

Likes2ridefar
06-23-2020, 01:27 PM
I have ordered from Snake River Farms several times and have always been pleased with the quality of their products.

https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/

Their wagyu looks very different than what I referenced earlier, and is a lot cheaper.

The wagyu at the shop I saw was cut in square blocks and looked almost like sushi style cuts rather than steak with extreme delicate laced marbling throughout and a very high percentage vs the meat.

I had never heard the a5 before this post and being in Knoxville now found willys butcher shop and they offer it...may have to try it given we have some nice grills here to use.

Kirk007
06-23-2020, 01:46 PM

Ray

Agreed. And to make them really special I suggest taking a bike to the French Alps and picking up a set and bring 'em home (did that in 2006 and still love 'em).

Joe
06-23-2020, 02:03 PM
Their wagyu looks very different than what I referenced earlier, and is a lot cheaper.

The wagyu at the shop I saw was cut in square blocks and looked almost like sushi style cuts rather than steak with extreme delicate laced marbling throughout and a very high percentage vs the meat.

I had never heard the a5 before this post and being in Knoxville now found willys butcher shop and they offer it...may have to try it given we have some nice grills here to use.

I should have more precisely stated that SRF meat is from cattle that are a hybrid of purebred Wagyu and traditional beef cattle. I believe this beef is usually referred to as American Wagyu, and it is described as such on SRF’s website.

So SRF’s meat is clearly not 100% from purebred Wagyu cattle, would not be as highly regarded as 100% purebred Wagyu, nor is it as expensive. But we have found it more enjoyable than traditional prime beef.

By the way, I have no relationship, other than as a customer, with SRF.

IJWS
06-23-2020, 02:51 PM
got these as a "placeholder" until we can get something "nice" actually really like them. Nice weight. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0029PHCBE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

alexstar
06-23-2020, 02:57 PM
I have the Opinels. Fantastic knives for the price. They can be had in whatever color palette you desire. Sharp enough to cut everything from a tender filet mignon to the toughest shoe leather steak you might accidentally overcook. Cheap enough to replace if they get damaged and you won't worry about some guest mistreating them. Get the Opinels and don't look back.

eddief
06-23-2020, 03:00 PM
https://agrussell.com/knife/Maserin-Carbon-Fiber-Handle-Steak-Knives-Single-Knife--MAS-2411CF

csm
06-23-2020, 03:24 PM
I should have more precisely stated that SRF meat is from cattle that are a hybrid of purebred Wagyu and traditional beef cattle. I believe this beef is usually referred to as American Wagyu, and it is described as such on SRF’s website.

So SRF’s meat is clearly not from purebred Wagyu cattle, would not be as highly regarded as purebred Wagyu, nor is it as expensive. But we have found it more enjoyable than traditional prime beef.

By the way, I have no relationship, other than as a customer, with SRF.

I've gotten beef from them as well. Very good. Much better than the local grocery stores. Occasionally the local Wegmans will have some good cuts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Likes2ridefar
06-23-2020, 03:24 PM
Thanks to this post...I Just got back from the butcher, dropping a small fortune on a5 wagyu, wagyu dogs (probably nothing special), house smoked bacon, jalapeño cheddar brats, brisket blend burgers, wagyu blend burgers, and his own burger blend named after the shop...

AngryScientist
06-23-2020, 03:33 PM
Thanks to this post...I Just got back from the butcher, dropping a small fortune on a5 wagyu, wagyu dogs (probably nothing special), house smoked bacon, jalapeño cheddar brats, brisket blend burgers, wagyu blend burgers, and his own burger blend named after the shop...

that sounds great!

i must say: i have over the years tried some fancy pants hot dogs, and while they were good in an over-sophisticated sort of way, for hot dogs, i prefer the low brow Thumanns!

b33
06-23-2020, 03:43 PM

FYI - I did get two WAGYU non-rated Tomahawk steaks. Had one last night and it was really good. Is it twice as good as a prime Tomahawk steak? Not even close. It was barely just better. My limited time with Waygu is that it's gotta be rated A4 or A5 (which costs a lot). It's not a porterhouse or T-Bone. You know how you got Sushi at the grocery store or Toro at a "real" sushi house. It's that.

My wife and I planned on once every other month Waygu A5.

Back to the OP - knives matter, just like bikes do :cool:

b33
06-23-2020, 03:47 PM
i prefer the low brow Thumanns!

That is my go-to when I am in a Food Lion or someplace I do not know.

Angry, have you tried Hebrew National? That's my go-to for all hotdogs. Also, try butterflying it before so that it's split and grill marks in the buns. I've had multiple teenage kids till me it's the best dog they ever had. I learned it working in a clam shack in the 80s - the owner would Butterfly the foot-longs if it was slow. That and a toasted bun . . . .

Likes2ridefar
06-23-2020, 04:34 PM
FYI - I did get two WAGYU non-rated Tomahawk steaks. Had one last night and it was really good. Is it twice as good as a prime Tomahawk steak? Not even close. It was barely just better. My limited time with Waygu is that it's gotta be rated A4 or A5 (which costs a lot). It's not a porterhouse or T-Bone. You know how you got Sushi at the grocery store or Toro at a "real" sushi house. It's that.

My wife and I planned on once every other month Waygu A5.

Back to the OP - knives matter, just like bikes do :cool:

Last time I cooked a tomahawk steak on a cast iron skillet stove top I melted my parents microwave above the range and nearly started a fire :eek:

FlashUNC
06-23-2020, 05:52 PM
Whatever Mitch & Murray downtown offered for second place.

Tandem Rider
06-24-2020, 01:22 AM
We've had a set of 8 of these https://lamsonproducts.com/ for forever. MrsTR really wanted them so we got them, proof that I married up. I have never had to sharpen them, money well spent. :banana:

djg
06-24-2020, 08:06 AM
that sounds great!

i must say: i have over the years tried some fancy pants hot dogs, and while they were good in an over-sophisticated sort of way, for hot dogs, i prefer the low brow Thumanns!

I'm not sure I understand the point of Wagyu hot dogs. We'd like the meat to be particularly tender before we grind it into a pulp? Or very highly marbled because we cannot figure out how to get the percentage of fat that we like?

Likes2ridefar
06-24-2020, 08:27 AM
I'm not sure I understand the point of Wagyu hot dogs. We'd like the meat to be particularly tender before we grind it into a pulp? Or very highly marbled because we cannot figure out how to get the percentage of fat that we like?

I think it is maybe for a richer flavor due to higher fat content? I don’t know. As I mentioned I’m not expecting anything special. They were 12.99/lb...

I also bought some Berkshire pork dogs while at the butcher yesterday that he brings in from Iowa. He said they are better than he has ever been able to make which I assume includes his own wagyu dogs. Grilling both tonight so will report back.

Ozz
06-24-2020, 10:20 AM
what do you do with all the leftover scraps after trimming the best cuts? Grind them up and make hot dogs of course...…

It's just utilizing as much of the meat as possible....

jimcav
08-09-2020, 03:31 PM
I'm circling back to this as I just learned today you can order wagyu A5 from Costco online. I don't have enough friends to warrant the 6 lbs, but thought it was interesting they offer it ($999 for 6lbs)

Tandem Rider
08-09-2020, 08:46 PM
I'm circling back to this as I just learned today you can order wagyu A5 from Costco online. I don't have enough friends to warrant the 6 lbs, but thought it was interesting they offer it ($999 for 6lbs)

Wagyu A5? Aren't I your friend???? :) I might find a way if I were you... :cool:

fmradio516
08-10-2020, 09:48 AM

Thats a really good price, I think.

9tubes
08-10-2020, 02:54 PM
On the OP question, I would ask two key questions:

Are you willing to sharpen them? If so, then go with non-serrated. As another person said, the serrations get dull quickly when pressed against a hard plate. Serrated knives are much more difficult to sharpen and often the price to sharpen can rival the price of the knife.

What's your budget for the purchase?

b33
08-10-2020, 03:41 PM
To the OP - who I hoped had nabbed some grand western steaks.

I grabbed a set of Wusthof classic knives the day after Christmas at a Williams Sonoma Outlet - I added 4 Wusthof classic steak knives.

I've had them for 3.5 years and my wife and I eat 95% or in the past 4 months 100% of our meals at home.

I just sent them back to knife aid for sharpening - their fee is flat, which makes no sense as a straight streak knife is the same price as a 9 inch serrated bread knife.

Well, for $80 all my knives are basically brand new. I'd go with good, classic knives and get them sharpened by a pro from time to time.

sfo1
10-11-2022, 04:12 PM
Looking for a new set of steak knives. Prefer forged; anything a better value than Dalstrong? Also, will be in Paris in a few weeks and would enjoy taking advantage of the $ to find a Thiers-area made set.

Anyone aware of cutlery shops in Paris for such?

tellyho
10-11-2022, 04:20 PM
Late to the game. But a knife fan. Many of the injuries I've sustained from knives have been from serrated knives. I despise them. Unpredictable cutting, hard to clean meat fibers off. I have a cheap set of Laguiole knives that I'll happily send you for free. Looking for a good set of plain blade steak knives here.

Joel
10-11-2022, 04:37 PM
Lots of years in the restaurant business.

The answer is straight / fine edge - IF you take the time to keep them sharp. Otherwise they become as nasty and unpredictable as any dull knife.

We have a hodge-podge of brands at home. The brand is secondary to the care.

Just my two cents...

luke_ross
10-13-2022, 05:41 AM
Late to the party, but throwing out some great A5 recommendations. Eataly has been working a steady relationship with a purveyor in Japan who overnights some fine A5 fairly consistently. Comes with birth certificates, COA, and bloodline/BMI tests. They also do an occasional 30-50% off A5 sale biannually.
Sauce- I work there and have been in the meat industry for 20+ years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

verticaldoug
10-13-2022, 06:24 AM
Looking for a new set of steak knives. Prefer forged; anything a better value than Dalstrong? Also, will be in Paris in a few weeks and would enjoy taking advantage of the $ to find a Thiers-area made set.

Anyone aware of cutlery shops in Paris for such?

https://www.laguiole-paris.com/

https://couteaux-courty.com/en/

https://www.couteaujaponais.com/
Not what you looking for but still cool