PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle lifestyle

NHAero
06-22-2020, 06:08 PM
Curious how many of us think of ourselves as living a bicycle lifestyle. I'm sure there are multiple possible definitions. For me, it means that the default is grabbing a bike instead of a car for transportation - using bikes for more than sport and recreation. This year, due to COVID19, I have way more miles on bikes than in motor vehicles because I haven't made any trips off Martha's Vineyard in four months.

Today I was tired and it was hot (for Martha's Vineyard, not for you southern folks - it was 80F). I had to make a quick stop at the office (WFH but had to drop something off) and then get some groceries. I took the Big Dummy, got 7-8 miles in, with my usual blazing BD speed of 11-12 mph.

I couldn't have lived this way when I lived in NH - too snowy/icy, and things I needed were too far - groceries were a 25 mile round trip not 7 miles. I don't have kids to haul around, which I imagine for many Americans means a car (though my real urban friends manage without). Our house is in the center of a 5 mile radius that has both of our work places, the places we shop, the library, the film center, the Town Beach (also a Big Dummy destination, to carry chairs and umbrella). And we border a big conservation area, and are just north of the State Forest, so often times destinations like the college league ballpark or the film center can be reached mostly off-road (small island with 300 miles of trails). And finally, it doesn't get super cold here in winter, and we don't usually get much snow, so year round riding is possible. We're a bit colder and wetter than Copenhagen, for example.

Others?

jtakeda
06-22-2020, 06:22 PM
When I lived in Oakland parking was so competitive on my street that if I drove the truck anywhere I wouldnt have a place to park when I got back and would be at risk for my truck being stolen or broken into and so I biked EVERYWHERE.

work-errands-recreation-picking up the dry cleaning-cat food and litter-you name it.

Where I'm at now --its 102 degrees--the closest grocery store is 30 miles roundtrip and well....im not really up for a 2.5 hour grocery run in this heat haha

Dino Suegiù
06-22-2020, 06:38 PM
Ant Bike Mike is a hero.

He's the Mike I want to be like.

mass_biker
06-22-2020, 06:48 PM
I've not been driving very much at all with physical access to our office closed (everyone WFH) and travel-for-work halted. So, for runs to the local market, I've been taking one of my two around-time bikes (depending on how much stuff I have to cart).

Everything is within a few miles. A "4 bag" haul is definitely a bit of work. But it is fun work. Upright, with sneakers etc. A shorter (beer run) afford a bit more flexibility.

When I lived in New England (metro Boston) - I used to commute to work pretty much every day on my upright bike. And that was a work environment that was work and tie. Biking - even with more "work-y" clothes - at a low speed (and with panniers etc. to get work stuff off my back) was still faster than the T.

I wish the infrastructure was more supportive - in my neighborhood, everything is reasonably accessible by bike. But more than 5+ miles in a radius of home, it definitely gets more challenging.

m_b

Robot870
06-22-2020, 07:03 PM
I tossed everything - House, cars, jet skis, motorcycles etc - and moved into Manhattan because of the bicycle. I do everything on the bike. Commute, train, ride Bear mtn and lock em up for dinner........It's been the best decision i made! 7 days a week on the bike......

NHAero
06-22-2020, 07:09 PM
No longer a Mass Biker? Where now?

I've not been driving very much at all with physical access to our office closed (everyone WFH) and travel-for-work halted. So, for runs to the local market, I've been taking one of my two around-time bikes (depending on how much stuff I have to cart).

Everything is within a few miles. A "4 bag" haul is definitely a bit of work. But it is fun work. Upright, with sneakers etc. A shorter (beer run) afford a bit more flexibility.

When I lived in New England (metro Boston) - I used to commute to work pretty much every day on my upright bike. And that was a work environment that was work and tie. Biking - even with more "work-y" clothes - at a low speed (and with panniers etc. to get work stuff off my back) was still faster than the T.

I wish the infrastructure was more supportive - in my neighborhood, everything is reasonably accessible by bike. But more than 5+ miles in a radius of home, it definitely gets more challenging.

m_b

mass_biker
06-22-2020, 07:15 PM
Was in Mass. a long (long) time.
Olden times.
Like BiEx (Harvard Square) olden times.
My first "real" road bike was from Belmont WW (!).
And I cut my racing teeth at Wells Ave.
So yes. Olden times.

Anyway.

Been in the midAtlantic now for about 10 years.
But I never changed the handle.

m_b

NHAero
06-22-2020, 07:16 PM
That's awesome!
In Sept 2018 I wanted to see the Giacometti retrospective at the Guggenheim so I came up to NYC for 3 days, and bought a Citibike pass. Even though those bikes are tanks, I really liked riding around for transportation there, and found it safer by far than riding in Boston. Highlight was crossing back from Brooklyn one day on the Manhattan Bridge bike lane, and as I was taking in the sights, I looked down and saw about 100 Bromptons out on a group ride.

I tossed everything - House, cars, jet skis, motorcycles etc - and moved into Manhattan because of the bicycle. I do everything on the bike. Commute, train, ride Bear mtn and lock em up for dinner........It's been the best decision i made! 7 days a week on the bike......

NHAero
06-22-2020, 07:17 PM
I was there in undergrad and grad school '71-75 - that olden?

Was in Mass. a long (long) time.
Olden times.
Like BiEx (Harvard Square) olden times.
My first "real" road bike was from Belmont WW (!).
And I cut my racing teeth at Wells Ave.
So yes. Olden times.

Anyway.

Been in the midAtlantic now for about 10 years.
But I never changed the handle.

m_b

XXtwindad
06-22-2020, 07:19 PM
[QUOTE=NHAero;2744468]Curious how many of us think of ourselves as living a bicycle lifestyle. I'm sure there are multiple possible definitions. For me, it means that the default is grabbing a bike instead of a car for transportation - using bikes for more than sport and recreation. This year, due to COVID19, I have way more miles on bikes than in motor vehicles because I haven't made any trips off Martha's Vineyard in four months.

Today I was tired and it was hot (for Martha's Vineyard, not for you southern folks - it was 80F). I had to make a quick stop at the office (WFH but had to drop something off) and then get some groceries. I took the Big Dummy, got 7-8 miles in, with my usual blazing BD speed of 11-12 mph.

I couldn't have lived this way when I lived in NH - too snowy/icy, and things I needed were too far - groceries were a 25 mile round trip not 7 miles. I don't have kids to haul around, which I imagine for many Americans means a car (though my real urban friends manage without). Our house is in the center of a 5 mile radius that has both of our work places, the places we shop, the library, the film center, the Town Beach (also a Big Dummy destination, to carry chairs and umbrella). And we border a big conservation area, and are just north of the State Forest, so often times destinations like the college league ballpark or the film center can be reached mostly off-road (small island with 300 miles of trails). And finally, it doesn't get super cold here in winter, and we don't usually get much snow, so year round riding is possible. We're a bit colder and wetter than Copenhagen, for example.

Others?

See above for your answer :)

Robot870
06-22-2020, 07:22 PM
The NYC cycling scene is just beyond awesome. From the fastest of the fastest to the wild and crazy. Endless adventure.....

I finally feel like I'm living.....

jimoots
06-22-2020, 07:40 PM
It's definitely a lifestyle, but like you acknowledge, that lifestyle is different for many.

At 35, I've ridden bikes longer than I haven't. It would have to be 25 years of being really passionate about riding a bike and they've enabled transportation, freedom and flexibility for much of that.

The two wheels and bits of metal underneath me have both literally and metaphorically brought me to where I am today. Much of the good fortune and opportunity I have right now is because of the bike. I am not embellishing that one bit. It's a conversation better had over a beer and in person rather than typed through a keyboard!

What that lifestyle means to me now - at my age and living where I live [in a hilly region] is different to when I was 15, 20, or 25 living on a much flatter and more bicycle friendly terrain.

That said, I still ride - quite literally - every day but the car does get picked in favour of the bike more than it used to.

NHAero
06-22-2020, 07:45 PM
I trying to guess whether the Moots or the Colnago is your utility bike :-)
It's definitely a lifestyle, but like you acknowledge, that lifestyle is different for many.

At 35, I've ridden bikes longer than I haven't. It would have to be 25 years of being really passionate about riding a bike and they've enabled transportation, freedom and flexibility for much of that.

The two wheels and bits of metal underneath me have both literally and metaphorically brought me to where I am today. Much of the good fortune and opportunity I have right now is because of the bike. I am not embellishing that one bit. It's a conversation better had over a beer and in person rather than typed through a keyboard!

What that lifestyle means to me now - at my age and living where I live [in a hilly region] is different to when I was 15, 20, or 25 living on a much flatter and more bicycle friendly terrain.

That said, I still ride - quite literally - every day but the car does get picked in favour of the bike more than it used to.

NHAero
06-22-2020, 07:47 PM
Hey, they make kid seats for the Dummy! And once they outgrow them, time for them to ride with you - soon they'll be pulling you up the hills :-)
Actually, you need an e-cargo bike :-)

[QUOTE=NHAero;2744468]Curious how many of us think of ourselves as living a bicycle lifestyle. I'm sure there are multiple possible definitions. For me, it means that the default is grabbing a bike instead of a car for transportation - using bikes for more than sport and recreation. This year, due to COVID19, I have way more miles on bikes than in motor vehicles because I haven't made any trips off Martha's Vineyard in four months.

Others?

See above for your answer :)

jimoots
06-22-2020, 09:04 PM
I trying to guess whether the Moots or the Colnago is your utility bike :-)

The Moots is the workhorse - it's edging close to 90,000km since I've owned it! Rain/hail/shine bike.

I have a handful of other bikes though. CX, MTB and what got me into bikes - BMX (park/street stuff). At last count there are 11 bikes and a few more frames in the garage!

54ny77
06-23-2020, 12:07 AM
Stay single!

weaponsgrade
06-23-2020, 01:01 AM
I use my bike for transportation whenever I can. I'd say 99% of my grocery trips are by bike.

oldpotatoe
06-23-2020, 06:13 AM
Even tho I'm around bike stuff a LOT(build lotsa wheels) and do a lot of bike work for a couple of guys I know..my bike is a leisure time activity, something I do sometimes, not everyday, a tool. I know some people who breathe, eat and sleep some sort of activity or thing(not just bikes), and that is GREAT. But I haven't really ridden these last 3 months at all. COVID is part of it and my wife walks, doesn't ride(or own) a bike and I'm walking with her these days..yes, altho safe, I'm more than a little paranoid during these bizarre times.

So, I'm not sure how I 'describe' myself in terms of the 'bike'...Not daily tied to all things 'bike'...There I said it and not 'mainstream' thought here but..

:)

NHAero
06-23-2020, 06:39 AM
Sweet utility machine there! And you are the man, doing stadiums on it :)I use my bike for transportation whenever I can. I'd say 99% of my grocery trips are by bike.

SimonC
06-23-2020, 07:11 AM
Funny, Covid has flipped things around.

I'm usually a cycle commuter all year round, and run errands on the bike on my way to / from work. One of the key reasons for that is that my time at home is mostly taken up with family life (three young kids) so it's hard to take time out for leisure cycling.

But since lockdown I'm not commuting to work. However, I am actually finding time in the evenings to get out for discretionary rides just to help maintain my wellbeing.

arimajol
06-23-2020, 08:30 AM
I'm riding for sport or "just going for a ride" much more during the pandemic, as opposed to commuting to work, to social stuff, to run errands, since we don't do a whole lot these days. It has me thinking about how I can improve my commuter bike, as it's going to suck to go back to that being the bike I spend most of my time in the saddle on.

Robot870
06-23-2020, 08:31 AM
Stay single!

No way! My Girlfriend is a cat 1 go fast girl.....We ride together 4 days a week and its the best. I always rode by myself while the lady's sat at home......That was a mistake for me -

cmg
06-23-2020, 11:26 AM
not a commuter but bikes are a main focus. Bikes in my living room, bike parts everywhere, even on dinner table. 2 rooms of 3 bedroom house has bike parts. ride 3-4 times a week. so yea a biking lifestyle.

Johnnysmooth
06-23-2020, 11:42 AM
First to the OP, you live in a unique environ on the Vineyard. Lived there for a couple of yrs in early 80's, still return a few times a yr.

Been commuting by bike in Boston area for abt 3 decades now, though not as frequently as I use - more a result of WHF than anything else. Do ride several times a week, road or MTB but not for utilitarian purposes.

Pandemic, thoughts of heading downtown via mass transit vs bike as well as desire to use bike for more purposes, eg shopping now has me considering a cargo e-bike that I can share with my spouse.

Not sure if that is a bike lifestyle or not but bikes have always been a VERY important part of my life since childhood. They represent freedom, they are healthy & green, they are humanity's finest invention. Can't imagine never having one in my life, even now as I deal with cancer. The bike will always be there for me.

NHAero
06-23-2020, 01:34 PM
Hang in there, you'll beat that disease - lotta miles left for you to ride. Thoughts and prayers going out to you.

And a e-cargo bike sounds like the ticket! One of the aspects of the big Dummy I thought about when i got it was that there was a lot of space behind the seat tube for a motor.

First to the OP, you live in a unique environ on the Vineyard. Lived there for a couple of yrs in early 80's, still ran a few times a yr.

Been commuting by bike in Boston area for abt 3 decades now, though not as frequently as I use - more a result of WHF than anything else. Do ride several times a week, road or MTB but not for utilitarian purposes.

Pandemic, thoughts of heading downtown via mass transit vs bike as well as desire to use bike for more purposes, eg shopping now has me considering a cargo e-bike that I can share with my spouse.

Not sure if that is a bike lifestyle or not but bikes have always been a VERY important part of my life since childhood. They represent freedom, they are healthy & green, they are humanity's finest invention. Can't imagine never having one in my life, even now as I deal with cancer. The bike will always be there for me.

djg21
06-23-2020, 02:04 PM
Curious how many of us think of ourselves as living a bicycle lifestyle. I'm sure there are multiple possible definitions. For me, it means that the default is grabbing a bike instead of a car for transportation - using bikes for more than sport and recreation. This year, due to COVID19, I have way more miles on bikes than in motor vehicles because I haven't made any trips off Martha's Vineyard in four months.

Others?

Thread hijack. I miss the Tour of Martha’s Vineyard. That was my favorite race. I’d always go out to the Vineyard for the week after Labor Day and do the Race. Always had decent results there too. I loved the sprint into the stiff headwind into Oak Bluffs on Seaview. All the little guys would get blown backwards and I could stay seated, get low, and diesel past everyone in the last couple hundred yards. It’s too bad that the race went away.

edward12
06-23-2020, 02:23 PM
Having had the misfortune of moving from Sacramento to my hometown, Fresno, California, I pressed my Steve Rex gentleman's/city bike to full-time porteur. The basket is quite voluminous and I make all of my grocery runs with this bike. So far, no troublesome interactions with the locals and/or monster trucks.

NHAero
06-23-2020, 02:28 PM
Awesome bikes keep appearing! DT shifters on this one?

Having had the misfortune of moving from Sacramento to my hometown, Fresno, California, I pressed my Steve Rex gentleman's/city bike to full-time porteur. The basket is quite voluminous and I make all of my grocery runs with this bike. So far, no troublesome interactions with the locals and/or monster trucks.

edward12
06-23-2020, 02:42 PM
Yup - Dura Ace 7800 group (Sugino Alpina 46/34 cranks) with DT shifters...:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk