PDA

View Full Version : Tubeless Tires & Wheels

jckid
01-26-2007, 11:08 AM
I am considering a set of wheels (Mavic Crossmax SL) that can be run tubeless or with tubes. Where I live, we have a real problem with these tiny thorns that come from dead weeds. I'm not sure exactly what they're called. I have to run all of my bikes, even my road bike, with tire liners to eliminate constant flats. The little thorns blow onto the bike path and they're so small that you can get them stuck in your tire and not even notice. If you venture off-road, you can end up with like 50 of them stuck in your tires. Even when trail running I have to stop when I get back on the pavement to pick the thorns out of the soles of my shoes. Needless to say, they're a real nuisance.

Because of this, running tubeless tires sounds crazy to me. Am I missing something here? Are tubeless tires extra tuff, or are they just like regular tires? If I buy tubeless tires, can I still install tubes and tire liners in them? I've never actually seen tubeless tires, so I'm not sure how they're made. I hate the extra weight that tire liners add, but I hate stopping to fix flats even more. I'm thinking that some of you may live in desert areas that may be able to share some of your tips regarding this.

theprep
01-26-2007, 01:57 PM
A tubeless UST tire would make a great choice if combinied with some latex tire sealant to seal up the small holes.

I have used the Stans solution with regular, non UST tires with great results. Not one flat in 2 years. DT Swiss makes a solution as well.

gdw
01-26-2007, 04:02 PM
Most UST tires, there are exceptions, are 150 to 200 grams heavier than the equivalent standard tire and the extra weight is usually in the sidewalls so they will fall victim to goatheads and thorns just like regular tires. As the prep advised, add sealant and they should offer the puncture protection you need. If you are concerned with weight (your goal of 20 lbs probably has been shelved?) run regular tires without inner tubes and sealant. You should be able to mount them without too many problems on the Mavic rims. Check out this link for more detailed information:
http://www.notubes.com/
You can use inner tubes with UST tires so make sure to carry at least one with you at all times in case of emergency.

Ti-Boy
01-26-2007, 04:17 PM
I've been on tubeless since 01. No flats yet in any of the 5 states I've ridden them. I run Stan's sealent just in case. My wife had one problem, stick went right through the center thread. Put a boot and tube in and good to go. I run between 30-32 psi which makes for good traction in my usual rocky terrain. I'm a fan.

jckid
01-27-2007, 11:17 AM
The sealant sounds like a good idea. I hope this isn't a totally stupid question, but could someone explain how you use it or apply it? Wouldn't it leave a goopy mess on the inside of the rim?

gdw
01-27-2007, 11:22 AM
http://www.notubes.com/support_detailed.php
http://www.notubes.com/support_movies.php

DRZRM
01-27-2007, 01:26 PM
I've been on Mavic Crossmax XLs for over a year with no flats at all. I don't worry about bike weight too much (given how much of it I carry on my body, 6'3" 220) but I love the ride. I don't use sealant, but it sounds like its a good solution for your ride conditions.