PDA

View Full Version : For shop folks: Are you taking in repairs?

Elefantino
06-21-2020, 08:13 AM
At one point last month we had 120 open repair orders and a wait time of five weeks. And because we don't take reservations, it means we had 120 bikes for repair. We had to rearrange the shop to handle the overflow because we only have 42 hooks in the back room.

So we stopped taking in repairs until we got caught up. When we halved that number, we opened up again on Thursday and in two days took in 43 bikes ... so we shut down again. Now we're booked out until July 18.

Other shops in our company are open; they mostly have three FT mechanics and we have two. But some smaller shops in the area have also closed for repairs.

One good way to look at it is that we are the busiest repair shop in the Triangle area. The flip side is that we are the busiest repair shop in the Triangle.

unterhausen
06-21-2020, 08:22 AM
I went to my LBS and the owner said he wanted to hire me to answer the phone. I know they are busy, but they sold all but a few of their bikes so they had room for repair storage. Don't know if they are throttling the repair intake. They weren't open at the beginning of the shut down, don't remember when they opened back up.

fa63
06-21-2020, 08:23 AM
We have hired two more people and changed our business model slightly to be able to continue taking in repairs (it used to be that we had folks do a little bit everything, now we have at least two people dedicated to service only). It helps that the two people we hired were former mechanics or had prior experience. We currently have around 100 bikes in for service, but have been able to maintain a roughly 2-week turnaround on most repairs.

buddybikes
06-21-2020, 08:26 AM
Heard one of the higher level shops in my extended area is booking into August.

When will the little pop up's begin if people aren't working and can do stuff under the table (or perhaps that is happening and I don't see)

ultraman6970
06-21-2020, 08:32 AM
Question/s, clearly the key word here is pandemic and happy this type of thing is happening with the shops, being that last year many shops were ready to close the doors. My question is, what is all that people doing with the bikes? asking because noticed like the same pattern in a couple of shops here in the area, even they sold stuff that was in the racks that they never thought was going to make it off the store, the other fact is that clearly a lot of repaired and new bikes moving around but i do not see that many people riding those bikes at all. The trail we have should be packed with people but thats not the case.

Any idea since you guys talk with the clients, any idea whats going on with the bikes?

fa63
06-21-2020, 08:36 AM
The trails around here are definitely more packed than they have been. Also, a lot of our customers tell us that they just ride in their neighborhood, so you wouldn't see these folks on the streets or on the trails.

Question/s, clearly the key word here is pandemic and happy this type of thing is happening with the shops, being that last year many shops were ready to close the doors. My question is, what is all that people doing with the bikes? asking because noticed like the same pattern in a couple of shops here in the area, even they sold stuff that was in the racks that they never thought was going to make it off the store, the other fact is that clearly a lot of repaired and new bikes moving around but i do not see that many people riding those bikes at all. The trail we have should be packed with people but thats not the case.

Any idea since you guys talk with the clients, any idea whats going on with the bikes?

Elefantino
06-21-2020, 08:37 AM
Around here everyone is riding -- in the words of Agador from "The Birdcage," -- again, or for the first time. They're dragging their old bikes out from under the garage cobwebs. We did have a discussion about whether to charge for bike cleaning because some of them are coated with icky things but decided in a neighborly way not to.

We have a good trail and greenway system in our area so people are desperate to get out and do something, even though NC has slowly reopened.

For the most part, people have been understanding.

54ny77
06-21-2020, 08:45 AM
This is most positive thread on the forum right now!

Awesome stuff.

A co-worker of mine had a new-ish (year or so old) beach cruiser that he bought, it didn't quite fit him right but he held onto it so he could still tool around the neighborhood with his kids. He has been trying to buy bikes for his young kids who are growing, and like one poster said, the LBS's in the area are completely sold out of inventory for that and simple inexpensive adult bikes like cruisers/mtb's.

He decided to test the waters and put his bike on craigslist for a little more than he paid for it--he said he had a dozen offers within the first couple hours!

He was psyched, and used the $ to put an order in for a new bike at his LBS that fit better.

likebikes
06-21-2020, 08:49 AM
glad i'm not in the bike biz anymore

biker72
06-21-2020, 09:03 AM
We had to officially close one day a week so the mechanics could come in and catch up on repairs. I've never seen anything like this.

Along with a record number of repairs, new bikes are being purchased in unprecedented numbers.

ultraman6970
06-21-2020, 09:11 AM
The birdcage... :) honestly saw some parts of it but never completely because I saw "La Cage aux Folles" back 78 ish. The original version is funny in its own right, the good thing is that the 90s birdcage held his own right due to the cast, specially with azaria and williams, put other people in there and the movie would have tanked IMO. Sorry for the change of topic :D

Gummee
06-21-2020, 09:49 AM
Heard one of the higher level shops in my extended area is booking into August.

When will the little pop up's begin if people aren't working and can do stuff under the table (or perhaps that is happening and I don't see)

I ran across Mittens Pop Up on a repair visit to NW DC. Evidently she and her partner had it figured out and are seriously busy too

M

kppolich
06-21-2020, 10:10 AM
Most shops around the area we not prepared for the surge of new business that came all at once. Those that were willing to change their ways rearranged the shop, the business roles, and got organized. Those that didn't pivot are swamped or losing business because people are taking their bike elsewhere.

Noticeable changes that I have noticed here include:
-Clear designated paths into the store for dropping off or picking up a repair
-Clear paths in the store for buying a new bike
-Clear path in the store for buying other items not complete bikes.
-The foresight to have 1 person to handle the phone so the sales people can sell and the wenches can wrench and stay on task.
-Designate 2 hours before public open or after close to button things up and get orders ready for pickup in the morning.

jlwdm
06-21-2020, 04:36 PM
i know Richardson Bike Mart used to have a huge repair shop at the main store. RBR must be able to handle more business as they are doing local radio advertising.

Jeff

Dino Suegiù
06-21-2020, 05:16 PM
My shop is overwhelmed with both acquisitions and repairs.

They are still staying extremely prudent and cautious = no customers allowed in store. They erected two large canvas canopies in the parking lot, under which customers can discuss work/wait/transact there, all with rigorous distancing enforced. Repairs are done by staff inside, so person-person contact is minimal. The owner is fanatical about Covid-respect, and is applauded for it. The outdoor shaded seating area solution has worked very well. I am glad for them that business is good.

duff_duffy
06-21-2020, 05:30 PM
My backyard shop is crazy busy;) three neighbors I rarely talk to just brought bikes to fix. 2 brake adjustments and 1 shimano w-d40 shifter back to life fix. I’ve never felt so important!

skitlets
06-21-2020, 05:50 PM
My backyard shop is crazy busy;) three neighbors I rarely talk to just brought bikes to fix. 2 brake adjustments and 1 shimano w-d40 shifter back to life fix. I’ve never felt so important!

You're a good neighbor!

Dino Suegiù
06-21-2020, 05:51 PM

Good on you!

Be very wary of excessive praise though.

Remember what Muddy Waters wrote:
"Nobody loves me, but my mother,
And she might be jivin' too."

:)

superbowlpats
06-21-2020, 06:16 PM
My LBS closes on Tuesdays and Thursdays to work on bikes. current lead time is 2 weeks which is supposedly very good compared to other shops nearby.

tuxbailey
06-21-2020, 06:35 PM
Good thing I have this forum to ask question about repair as it will probably take a whole summer to get the bike fixed.

Also glad that I bought my daughter her Quick CX in January since I don't think I can find any now.

adub
06-21-2020, 06:42 PM
Savvy business owners will figure this out and be better for it!

Double shift mechanics, there are 24 hours in a day, 7 days a week!

With all the threads of the demise of the local LBS, this is a great thing, go get'em!

unterhausen
06-21-2020, 06:58 PM
I offered to fix bikes for free on my local buy nothing club, but nobody took me up on it.

john903
06-21-2020, 07:24 PM
I have a small home shop and have been very busy as well. I am definitely seeing the, drag the bike out of the garage and can you fix it, thing going on. I think it's great I really enjoy getting people out on their bikes even if they just ride around the neighborhood. at least their out having fun.
I say keep them coming.

kppolich
06-21-2020, 07:47 PM
Savvy business owners will figure this out and be better for it!

Double shift mechanics, there are 24 hours in a day, 7 days a week!

With all the threads of the demise of the local LBS, this is a great thing, go get'em!

The best shop in town here was on top of it from the jump. Immediate website updates and social media updates saying the best way to bring your bike in for the fastest turnaround time.

-Bring it in clean
-Here is our menu of services
-Thanks

buddybikes
06-21-2020, 07:50 PM
Good thing I have this forum to ask question about repair as it will probably take a whole summer to get the bike fixed.

Also glad that I bought my daughter her Quick CX in January since I don't think I can find any now.

As you can see in this forum, you need a back up bike, and a back up to your back up (10+ times over).

many_styles
06-21-2020, 08:06 PM
Most shops around the area we not prepared for the surge of new business that came all at once. Those that were willing to change their ways rearranged the shop, the business roles, and got organized. Those that didn't pivot are swamped or losing business because people are taking their bike elsewhere.

Noticeable changes that I have noticed here include:
-Clear designated paths into the store for dropping off or picking up a repair
-Clear paths in the store for buying a new bike
-Clear path in the store for buying other items not complete bikes.
-The foresight to have 1 person to handle the phone so the sales people can sell and the wenches can wrench and stay on task.
-Designate 2 hours before public open or after close to button things up and get orders ready for pickup in the morning.

This!

Granted, for a smaller shop, or maybe even a one person shop, there’s def a need to brainstorm ideas to strategically meet the high demand; limit the queue (full builds, wheel, minor repairs, etc). Once that’s met, no more service requests can be taken until queue goes down.

Set aside time to communicate to customers (end of day) on repair/build status. It’s def not the fun side of running a biz, but necessary, and customers really appreciate it.

I’ve pretty much given up the idea of being able to build a new bike this summer, and try my best to do all repairs myself.

As with anything that’s been affected by COVID, it’ll be interesting how all industries stay flexible and afloat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tuxbailey
06-21-2020, 08:29 PM
As you can see in this forum, you need a back up bike, and a back up to your back up (10+ times over).

Good thing I do have a back up, it is on the trainer...

dbnm
06-21-2020, 08:30 PM
I love this thread.

many_styles
06-22-2020, 01:29 AM
A great video of the ex-owner of Sugar Wheels in PDX talking about what it took to run a successful biz: https://youtu.be/eik-uMSy0dM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjf
06-22-2020, 02:39 AM
Extremely busy over the past few months the shop I'm currently wrenching at.

-Any sort of hybrid, single speed, or other variation of bike that is sub $600 lasts for all of 24 hours at the store, if we're lucky.

-Getting product in for service has leveled out, but was taking upwards of 10-14 days from order being placed due to the lag in ship time from distributors. (Previous timeline was 2 days tops for most warehouses)

-Scheduling service has varied from 2-3 weeks, and is still holding steady at 2 weeks.

-Everyone is dragging out their old bike from the garage that hasn't seen the light of day in upwards of 10 years, and is extremely upset when the cost of fixing it outweighs its worth.

-Along with the above point, much different clientele than I'm used to dealing with. Generally speaking, most people in Socal seem to treat bicycles as toys, rather than a means of transportation or recreation.

-Lots of being yelled at by customers when we are unable to meet their unreasonable demands of costs and timelines:confused::confused:

oldpotatoe
06-22-2020, 05:48 AM
Extremely busy over the past few months the shop I'm currently wrenching at.

-Any sort of hybrid, single speed, or other variation of bike that is sub $600 lasts for all of 24 hours at the store, if we're lucky.

-Getting product in for service has leveled out, but was taking upwards of 10-14 days from order being placed due to the lag in ship time from distributors. (Previous timeline was 2 days tops for most warehouses)

-Scheduling service has varied from 2-3 weeks, and is still holding steady at 2 weeks.

-Everyone is dragging out their old bike from the garage that hasn't seen the light of day in upwards of 10 years, and is extremely upset when the cost of fixing it outweighs its worth.

-Along with the above point, much different clientele than I'm used to dealing with. Generally speaking, most people in Socal seem to treat bicycles as toys, rather than a means of transportation or recreation.

-Lots of being yelled at by customers when we are unable to meet their unreasonable demands of costs and timelines:confused::confused:

Well, not everything has changed in the bike biz I see...:)

fa63
06-22-2020, 06:37 AM
I have been pleasantly surprised at how understanding the folks around here have been. Two things we have done that have also worked well:

-We ask people to bring their bike in for a quote, so we can go over and tell them if it needs any special order parts. We then tell people to hang on to their bike until it is their turn so they can keep riding (if their bike is still operational) while they wait.

-We offer expedited services for an upcharge, where the owner of the shop stays after hours to complete repairs. He only takes in one or two a day, but those who are in a hurry have been taking advantage of the offer.

jpsawyer23
06-22-2020, 10:06 AM
At one point last month we had 120 open repair orders and a wait time of five weeks. And because we don't take reservations, it means we had 120 bikes for repair. We had to rearrange the shop to handle the overflow because we only have 42 hooks in the back room.

So we stopped taking in repairs until we got caught up. When we halved that number, we opened up again on Thursday and in two days took in 43 bikes ... so we shut down again. Now we're booked out until July 18.

Other shops in our company are open; they mostly have three FT mechanics and we have two. But some smaller shops in the area have also closed for repairs.

One good way to look at it is that we are the busiest repair shop in the Triangle area. The flip side is that we are the busiest repair shop in the Triangle.

We have had a steady queue of 100+ repairs in the shop and been out for 20+ days for the last two months. The other shops in the are have been the same. We also rearranged the shop to accommodate more bikes and severely limit the area the customer is allowed in. We also werent doing reservations, but had to start as we were just running out of space to move around. Only caveat is that people now have the time to pick up their bikes the same day they are finished.
we also had to get another phone line to deal with the volume of calls. I've been flirting with the idea of getting a handsfree headset the phone rings so often.

It has been unpredictable and unsustainable. I definitely didnt think it would continue like this for so long. We are closing for the last two weeks of july to get caught up and to have a week off to stay sane.

mjf
06-22-2020, 08:26 PM
Well, not everything has changed in the bike biz I see...:)

The fact that it's happening isn't unusual, but rather the frequency of being yelled at.

So many people who are not familiar with how a shop functions, especially during this pandemic.

We're doing our best, but the sheer volume has overwhelmed all of us.

batman1425
06-22-2020, 08:36 PM
We're 2-3 weeks out. At the worse, it was 4-5. 3 FT mechanics with 3 revolving part timers every day. If we can't have a PT mech knock it out fast while the customer waits outside, it gets put on the schedule for them to return with the bike for their appointment. We don't have space to take anything else but can turn things over quick enough to keep up with the schedule. Most folks have been understanding of the timelines and we don't push if they want to look elsewhere for faster service.

KJMUNC
06-22-2020, 09:12 PM

Yep, I dropped by my LBS here last week to check in and was told they almost wished it were just back to normal. Lots of people who show up and are pissed about there NOT being any bikes to buy, having to wait for repairs, not getting what they want in that second....etc, etc. Pretty typical behavior for Entitlement Town, USA but still sucks to hear as the LBS guys are taking the brunt of it.

The shop itself is normally full of bikes on racks for sale, but the ENTIRE sales floor is stacked with bikes in for repair.

If nothing else, maybe this helps some of the struggling shops stay around a while longer and puts more money in people's pockets who are putting in long hours wrenching.

oldpotatoe
06-23-2020, 06:35 AM
Yep, I dropped by my LBS here last week to check in and was told they almost wished it were just back to normal. Lots of people who show up and are pissed about there NOT being any bikes to buy, having to wait for repairs, not getting what they want in that second....etc, etc. Pretty typical behavior for Entitlement Town, USA but still sucks to hear as the LBS guys are taking the brunt of it.

The shop itself is normally full of bikes on racks for sale, but the ENTIRE sales floor is stacked with bikes in for repair.

If nothing else, maybe this helps some of the struggling shops stay around a while longer and puts more money in people's pockets who are putting in long hours wrenching.

Lots in the above post.

-Agree..bike suppliers of bikes and bike 'stuff' have a flow through 'model', so they build then distribute a certain amount..think toilet paper..then the demand gets YUGE, off the page and manufacturing and distribution just isn't set up for that. BUT ignorant people blame the retail place, where, in fact, it's the manufacturing/distribution. PLUS, the smart manufacturers see that this is kinda temporary..they won't be building new factories because this demand is unique and SITUATIONAL, not normal and won't stay the way it is..

-When running service in Morgul-Bismark..gent brings in a nearly new GT ZasKar(remember those) for his 'free tuneup'..We put it down stairs to do later..owner/sales guy dives downstairs, has sold a GT ZasKar, looking for the right size, doesn't look at the repair tag(we think on purpose) and SELLS THE Customer's bike..as new...quite a hoot..:eek: