PDA

View Full Version : Update! I Need a Different Master Link

Peter P.
06-20-2020, 09:13 PM
I'm running a 9 speed Shimano drivetrain with a Shimano 9 speed chain.

I'm using the correct KMC Super Link for my 9 speed chain. My problem is the link tends to skip when on the large ring, or causes the chain to unship onto the middle ring of my ATB triple setup.

Can anyone recommend a master link that's more compatible with my 9 speed Shimano drivetrain?

cinema
06-20-2020, 09:26 PM
never had problems w sram powerlink

kingpin75s
06-20-2020, 10:18 PM
I use Wipperman Connex links with all of my Shimano 9 speed chains.

Louis
06-20-2020, 10:24 PM
I've been using SRAM quick-disconnect links with Shimano 9-spd chains with zero problems. I've even re-used one or two for two chains instead of just one, and haven't had any problems either.

Veloo
06-21-2020, 04:57 AM
+1 for Wipperman.
Work great, just pricey.

oldpotatoe
06-21-2020, 06:03 AM
I'm running a 9 speed Shimano drivetrain with a Shimano 9 speed chain.

I'm using the correct KMC Super Link for my 9 speed chain. My problem is the link tends to skip when on the large ring, or causes the chain to unship onto the middle ring of my ATB triple setup.

Can anyone recommend a master link that's more compatible with my 9 speed Shimano drivetrain?

Wipperman connex..note, they have an 'Up and down'..

dddd
06-21-2020, 06:32 PM
This sounds like there may be an issue with the chainline dimension causing a bit too much of a crossing angle as the link engages the chainring teeth.

Since only the chain's inner links should be contacting the chainring teeth at all, perhaps the connecting link is just gripping the inner links that much tighter or looser than the rest of the outer links. Suspecting also that the connecting link is much more flexible than the rest of the chain's outer links, so the chain is probably bending a little more sharply local to the connecting link.

I would try a SRAM link.

ColonelJLloyd
06-21-2020, 06:52 PM
Can you not just 86 the master link altogether?

slambers3
06-21-2020, 07:08 PM
How old is the chain? Could differential wear be the cause of the chain skipping?

rustychisel
06-21-2020, 07:15 PM
Wipperman Connex

Peter P.
07-14-2020, 08:31 PM
I ordered a Wipperman link per the majority of the responses here.

In the interim, I looked again at my problem master link. I could have sworn I installed master links on all three of my bikes, at the same time, and bought the same KMC master link.

But when I looked at this link, it didn't say KMC on in like the other two. Instead, it said Superlink III and clearly wasn't engraved like the others. I have no idea where or when I got this.

I don't have a problem on the other two bikes.

So the Wipperman link arrived today and I couldn't wait to try it.

I could tell within the first couple minutes I had a winner. No more clunk as the link rolls over the chainring. No dropped chain/cross-chaining issues.

It was a $6.95 thrill. Thanks for the replies.

rustychisel
07-14-2020, 08:37 PM
Cheap thrills indeed.

Thanks for the update and confirmation.

Dave
07-14-2020, 08:50 PM
If the link fits properly, the clearance between the inner and outer plates should be the range of .004-008 inch. Use feeler gauges to check.

Veloo
07-14-2020, 10:33 PM
When I had a 10 speed Wipperman, I was loading the bike into my car trunk, heading out to a race. Both wheels were off and as I put the bike in the trunk, the link came loose and fell onto the ground. Took me a while to find it and being in a rush to get to the race didn't help.

GregL
07-14-2020, 11:16 PM
In the interim, I looked again at my problem master link. I could have sworn I installed master links on all three of my bikes, at the same time, and bought the same KMC master link.

But when I looked at this link, it didn't say KMC on in like the other two. Instead, it said Superlink III and clearly wasn't engraved like the others. I have no idea where or when I got this.
That's the Craig Superlink (http://sandsmachine.com/ac_slink.htm), sold through Lickton's (https://www.lickbike.com/productpage.php?PART_NUM_SUB=0338-08) bike shop in suburban Chicago. They were made in 8, 9, and 10-speed versions marked respectively with yellow, pink, and green labels. If you had the incorrect version on your chain, it would very likely cause the skipping issue. I used all three versions over the years with good results.

Greg

mokofoko
07-14-2020, 11:52 PM
Not that it matters much now, but my vote would have added another to the sram powerlink tally. I've been using one with my 7700 setup for years and never had a problem.

Peter P.
07-15-2020, 05:02 AM
That's the Craig Superlink (http://sandsmachine.com/ac_slink.htm), sold through Lickton's (https://www.lickbike.com/productpage.php?PART_NUM_SUB=0338-08) bike shop in suburban Chicago. They were made in 8, 9, and 10-speed versions marked respectively with yellow, pink, and green labels. If you had the incorrect version on your chain, it would very likely cause the skipping issue. I used all three versions over the years with good results.

Greg

Sure would have been nice if they engraved the link with the application.

Anyone here remember the very old "master link" that I think was sold by Lickton's as well? Instead of merely coupling the links together, there was a tiny screw for each pin! I had one, but soon freaked out of concern I'd lose a screw while on a ride and be SOL. Took it off and tossed it.

rustychisel
07-15-2020, 06:11 AM
...there was a tiny screw for each pin! I had one, but soon freaked out of concern I'd lose a screw while on a ride and be SOL. Took it off and tossed it.

old school half links have exactly that. Never lost one in many years of riding fixed gear.

m_sasso
07-15-2020, 12:57 PM
old school half links have exactly that. Never lost one in many years of riding fixed gear.

Izumi Super Tough and many of the other Izumi track chains still use these small screws. I currently have my Super Tough track chain off today along with my back up Izumi Jet Black for a re-waxing.

GregL
07-17-2020, 11:17 PM
Sure would have been nice if they engraved the link with the application.
As it turns out, they did. I looked closely at both a 9-speed and a 10-speed Superlink that I had in my parts bins. The 9-speed link had a “2” engraved on the outside of each half of the link. The 10-speed link was engraved on each half with a “3”. I also learned that they made two different models of 10-speed Superlinks. The version with green packaging was for Shimano. The version with blue packaging was for Campagnolo and SRAM.

Greg

Peter P.
07-18-2020, 09:23 AM
As it turns out, they did. ... The version with blue packaging was for Campagnolo and SRAM.

Greg

Yeah; makes sense to me-in a world where 2=9 and 3=10! And what a brilliant idea; color the PACKAGING, which you'll most likely throw away.

I'm still scratching my head at that logic.

ultraman6970
07-18-2020, 12:35 PM
Whats the difference between the campagnolo version and the shimano version of the links?? Do they say???

ColonelJLloyd
07-18-2020, 01:04 PM
Can you not just 86 the master link altogether?

Did I miss the answer to this?

Peter P.
07-18-2020, 01:21 PM
Did I miss the answer to this?

I could have sworn when I originally installed the chain that I did not use a master link, a master link came along somewhere afterwards. And, I could have sworn I had the problem when I originally installed the chain, too.

But logically I recognize would not make sense.

Obviously, my intent was to use a master link, therefore I don't want to go back!

But yeah; sounds like removing the master link completely would have solved the problem as well.

GregL
07-18-2020, 01:26 PM
Whats the difference between the campagnolo version and the shimano version of the links?? Do they say???
The Shimano version is 6.1mm wide. The Campy ultra-narrow version is 5.9-5.95mm wide. Dimensions are listed on the documentation included with the links.

Greg