PDA

View Full Version : Teach Me About MTN Bikes

ZOOMZOOM123
06-20-2020, 07:59 PM
Hello Paceliners,

My father is looking to get into mountain biking. He just wants to hit the local flat trails. No jumps, no ramps, no crazy hills or anything too radical.

My question is should he get a cross country bike or a trail bike? I'm not completely sure of the differences, just like I'm not completely sure about the differences between all-road and gravel bikes. Anyways, he lives in Texas so not much elevation.

I think we're just going to go with some off the shelf, and looking to spend around 5k.

All suggestions and advice are welcome. Thanks in advance!

fmradio516
06-20-2020, 08:06 PM
I would say go cross-country if he doesnt want to get to technical. Sounds like he just wants to ride around?

ZOOMZOOM123
06-20-2020, 08:16 PM
Yup, mostly just putzing around. But wouldnt a trail bike also give him a wider range if he so chooses?

fa63
06-20-2020, 08:22 PM
For that budget, the new Santa Cruz Tallboy is very nice. It is an XC-ish bike that can also handle some gnarly stuff. The new Trek Supercaliber looks nice too for a more pure XC style bike.

djg21
06-20-2020, 08:30 PM
Hello Paceliners,

My father is looking to get into mountain biking. He just wants to hit the local flat trails. No jumps, no ramps, no crazy hills or anything too radical.

My question is should he get a cross country bike or a trail bike? I'm not completely sure of the differences, just like I'm not completely sure about the differences between all-road and gravel bikes. Anyways, he lives in Texas so not much elevation.

I think we're just going to go with some off the shelf, and looking to spend around 5k.

All suggestions and advice are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Trail bikes have slacker geometry, more travel, are more comfortable, and are more stable. You can do more with a Trail bike, and unless your dad is racing XC, he should look at a mid-travel Trail bike. There are lot of nice bikes available. I’m looking to pick up a Pivot Trail 429. There are lot of good bikes on the market.

Louis
06-20-2020, 11:29 PM

How much you choose to spend is none of my business, and maybe I'm just cheap, but to me this seems like a lot of money for someone who's just dipping his toe into the shallow end.

When I'm just trying something out I tend to go for a more gradual approach, and spend a fraction of that on something that will do the job but isn't necessarily 100% of what I might want. If after a while of doing whatever I decide it's something I really enjoy, then I go ahead and upgrade. If it isn't, I haven't spent a good chunk of money on something that's a bust.

Good luck to your father - it's great that he's still active and doing stuff - that's definitely the most important thing.

Jaybee
06-20-2020, 11:59 PM
For that budget, the new Santa Cruz Tallboy is very nice. It is an XC-ish bike that can also handle some gnarly stuff. The new Trek Supercaliber looks nice too for a more pure XC style bike.

Trail bikes have slacker geometry, more travel, are more comfortable, and are more stable. You can do more with a Trail bike, and unless your dad is racing XC, he should look at a mid-travel Trail bike. There are lot of nice bikes available. I’m looking to pick up a Pivot Trail 429.

Take a look at something like the Pivot Trail 429. There are lot of good bikes on the market.

This is the right track, IMO. A modern short travel 29" trail bike is crazy capable while still being zippy where you want it to be. Forgiving for a new learner too. It will keep him upright in situations where a hardedge XC race machine might be a little too twitchy. If it turns out that he's just an old version of Nino Schurter with skills to match, then get him his 22 lb. Sworks Epic.

Frankwurst
06-21-2020, 06:50 AM
How much you choose to spend is none of my business, and maybe I'm just cheap, but to me this seems like a lot of money for someone who's just dipping his toe into the shallow end.

When I'm just trying something out I tend to go for a more gradual approach, and spend a fraction of that on something that will do the job but isn't necessarily 100% of what I might want. If after a while of doing whatever I decide it's something I really enjoy, then I go ahead and upgrade. If it isn't, I haven't spent a good chunk of money on something that's a bust.

Good luck to your father - it's great that he's still active and doing stuff - that's definitely the most important thing.

I'd agree with Louis here. 5k to me is alot of scoots. I'd be willing to bet for half that much he could find something to test the water. If he's really into it he has alot of wiggle room for an upgrade. I've been toying with the same idea your father has but like him I don't have a clue as to what I might want or what would be best suited for me or your father. I wish him luck and many years of fun with his choice.:beer:

colker
06-21-2020, 11:31 AM
I'd agree with Louis here. 5k to me is alot of scoots. I'd be willing to bet for half that much he could find something to test the water. If he's really into it he has alot of wiggle room for an upgrade. I've been toying with the same idea your father has but like him I don't have a clue as to what I might want or what would be best suited for me or your father. I wish him luck and many years of fun with his choice.:beer:

Surly Karate Monkey.

ZOOMZOOM123
06-22-2020, 12:31 AM

All valid points. I think he was mostly just throwing around numbers. There's also the argument of buying nice now so that he wouldn't have to deal with upgrading and selling a used bike. And if it's not for him, I would never say no to a nice MTN bike :p

I think the aluminum Santa Cruz Tallboy is the way we're going to go. Any reason to go for the R upgrade over the D?

duff_duffy
06-22-2020, 12:59 AM
With 5k budget you can get some crazy good bikes for that amount. Is he open to used? Pick up an aluminum used nice hard tail with XT build. With the $4250 saved go on a 2 week adventure with him and the bike. It will last a lifetime and the memories even more so.

This week I’ve been riding my wife’s 10 year old Specislized mt bike that fits awful with my son on local trails. It’s probably worth $50, but I’m having 10x the amount of fun as many of the folks on their carbon masterpieces and shocks on the fork, frame, and even the seatpost - I don’t think they even feel bumps:). I’m looking for something else but the more I ride it the more I realize how little I need in a bike.

fa63
06-22-2020, 06:50 AM
For an extra $700, it gives you a dropper post, nicer brakes and perhaps most importantly, a much nicer fork. I would go for the R upgrade if it was my money.

All valid points. I think he was mostly just throwing around numbers. There's also the argument of buying nice now so that he wouldn't have to deal with upgrading and selling a used bike. And if it's not for him, I would never say no to a nice MTN bike :p

I think the aluminum Santa Cruz Tallboy is the way we're going to go. Any reason to go for the R upgrade over the D?

oldpotatoe
06-22-2020, 07:40 AM
5k to me is alot of scoots.

Did you ever live in Portugal? I haven't heard that, 'Scoots' since I lived in the Azores in 1960s(Father in USAF)...:)

vespasianus
06-22-2020, 08:44 AM
Honestly, if all he wants to do is ride "local flat trails. No jumps, no ramps, no crazy hills or anything too radical" I would either suggest a 650b gravel bike or a 29er hard tail mountain bike. For such a bike, I don't think you need to spend more than 2K.

Something like a Trek Stache would be great - if not a little overkill. A Marin Pine mountain or the like would also work for what you describe.

p nut
06-22-2020, 09:08 AM
Two people can ride the same trail on the same bike and have completely different experiences.

While I would lean towards the suggestions made above of a trail bike (more upright, comfortable, plush, etc), I would highly suggest going to a shop and demoing a few bikes on the trails (not around a parking lot). At $5k, you’re also in e-bike territory if that tickles his fancy.