PDA

View Full Version : Will a HRM help?

Johnny P
06-20-2020, 04:10 PM
I have a question for the community.

I have chronic atrial fibrilation. I have been riding with this condition for about 10 years. This year I seem much slower than normal. I am considering riding with a heart rate monitor (HRM). However, since I have atrial fibrilation, will the HRM give me accurate data and will it be useful in any way in helping me gauge my effort when riding?

Thanks.

robt57
06-20-2020, 04:14 PM
Sports centered Cardio sawbones...

The HRM is a gauge, the Sports Cardio guy is the guy to tell you when and what zones for how long for which training goals.

Not us, all due respect.

Me, I just have chronic PVCs, HRM freaks out when it happens in zone 3-4 too. ;) PVC in my case benign happy to say, your in a different category entirely.

bjf
06-20-2020, 05:19 PM
I had chronic afib. I had always used an HRM, so I was able to compare data collected with afib to that collected before it appeared. I found that my rates tracked the same curves on a given ride, except that the afib numbers were about 30 BPM higher. So I'd say the HRM was still useful.

BTW, I had an ablation almost a year ago and have been in sinus ever since. Maybe something to consider.

OldCrank
06-20-2020, 05:58 PM
I think the Garmin HRM sends data once per second, so I don't think that's the tool for AFib.
But I am a mere geek without medical knowhow.
Let us know what you learn, this is interesting and important stuff!

robt57
06-20-2020, 06:06 PM
BTW, I had an ablation almost a year ago and have been in sinus ever since. Maybe something to consider.

I have several in my family [same generation] having had to have these. Thanks to Grandma, who passed it down the pool it seems. One hit it first shot, 2 more had to have 2nd attempts. Not something you want over treated.

Imagine my delight when I learned my inheritance was not that but rather benign PVCs.

Peter P.
06-20-2020, 06:36 PM
I have a question for the community.

I have chronic atrial fibrilation. I have been riding with this condition for about 10 years. This year I seem much slower than normal. I am considering riding with a heart rate monitor (HRM). However, since I have atrial fibrilation, will the HRM give me accurate data and will it be useful in any way in helping me gauge my effort when riding?

Thanks.

Wouldn't it depend on the brand and model HRM you use? It's got to read and store the data accurately, so you can analyze the readout later.

I think you need to research available products.

Johnny P
06-20-2020, 06:57 PM
I had chronic afib. I had always used an HRM, so I was able to compare data collected with afib to that collected before it appeared. I found that my rates tracked the same curves on a given ride, except that the afib numbers were about 30 BPM higher. So I'd say the HRM was still useful.

The have had two ablations. The first didn't last very long. The second lasted a year. Well, I actually went from having atrial flutter first which the second ablation got ride of. Now I have afib. Haven't tried a third ablation.

My problem also seem to be hereditary. My mother has the same issue as does a younger brother. My brother can tell when he goes into afib. My mother and I not.

bjf
06-20-2020, 07:40 PM
Wouldn't it depend on the brand and model HRM you use? It's got to read and store the data accurately, so you can analyze the readout later.

I think you need to research available products.

I use a Garmin 500. It records and you can download the data. I even used to send screenshots to my cardiologist.

bjf
06-20-2020, 07:42 PM
The have had two ablations. The first didn't last very long. The second lasted a year. Well, I actually went from having atrial flutter first which the second ablation got ride of. Now I have afib. Haven't tried a third ablation.

My problem also seem to be hereditary. My mother has the same issue as does a younger brother. My brother can tell when he goes into afib. My mother and I not.

Sorry to hear that. Based on my experience, I do think a HRM can be useful as an indicator when something abnormal for you is happening.

2LeftCleats
06-20-2020, 08:09 PM
When you say you’re a little slower, you need to clarify. Do you mean heart rate is slower or speed is slower? If HR is slower it could be from meds you may be taking for a fib. If it’s slower speed, I’d suggest talking with your cardiologist to see if there is another issue. Probably, if you are in a fib constantly, a HRM could be valuable, but perhaps a power meter would be more useful.

Johnny P
06-21-2020, 09:07 PM
When you say you’re a little slower, you need to clarify. Do you mean heart rate is slower or speed is slower? If HR is slower it could be from meds you may be taking for a fib. If it’s slower speed, I’d suggest talking with your cardiologist to see if there is another issue. Probably, if you are in a fib constantly, a HRM could be valuable, but perhaps a power meter would be more useful.

Speed is slower and my meds have been the same for the last three years. I believe I am constantly in afib. May have to give a HRM a try.

chrisroph
06-22-2020, 10:37 AM
HRM will help in that it will record spikes in HR when in AFIB. I went through this 4 years ago and, after trying meds, cutting caffeine, and a number of other lifestyle changes chose to have a cryoablation and its one of the best decisions I've ever made for my health. I'm comfortably riding 100+miles per week without rhythm issues or concerns. While I don't push myself into anaerobic zones, I'm able to ride with the same folks I've ridden with for the past 30 years.