PDA

View Full Version : Best alloy rim brake clincher wheel set?

drgonzo
06-20-2020, 11:23 AM
I'll soon need to pull the trigger on a new wheel set for my latest build. The bike is a Ti road that will be built up with mech Campy SR 12, rim brakes and 28mm tires. I never race, rarely ride in the wet, I'm about 170#, do a lot of climbing and centuries. I value ride quality, durability, aesthetics, and weight - in that order.

I'm way beyond trying to save a few bucks - I want the very "best". I DONT want carbon rims nor tubulars. I was pretty much set on going with Campy Shamal Mille C17 or Campy Shamal C17 Ultras (choice would come down to availability).

I figured I'd see if you guys think I'm missing something? Is there another brand I should consider? Should I consider having custom wheels made?

Thanks! :bike:

Latestart
06-20-2020, 11:26 AM
I have a set with White Industry Hubs and H+Son rims, have been great wheels for a lot of miles and every piece is serviceable.

vincenz
06-20-2020, 11:42 AM
With an SR12 build, I’d go Shamals everyday if going alloy. An alternative would be Neutron Ultras, but I think G3 lacing would look better with SR12.

FlashUNC
06-20-2020, 11:42 AM
Shamals.

robt57
06-20-2020, 11:45 AM
HEDs on a custom build, else H+ Archetypes you prolly would not notice a difference except in your wallet.

I find the Fulcrum top tier and slightly below VG wheels.

All that aside, braking performance on wheels I have is noticeably best on some Pacaenti V1 SL23. They have a grooved machine surface that just make for some quite good modulation and power.

I do not know if the newer Pacenti still have this, but recommend you don't buy anything with the V1 rim, run away in fact. I am on my third rear in a short time. If I was not stuck with having bought 8 I would not keep using one on the rear, spoke beds crack.

But 28mm tires and decent breathing room to touchy points, 19-20c internal make nice with a 28. And will have a well footed shape as to please the ride aficionado.

Swiss Stop Flash EVO IMO add stopping power and modulate excellent. My top pick, and they make a few variations in case your rim choice is extra fat and frame or calipers don't like that to assist in that dept.

Tickdoc
06-20-2020, 11:53 AM
easy choice for me...shamals. bombproof, lightweight....maybe not the most aero, but the roll well and stop great.

yinzerniner
06-20-2020, 11:58 AM
If only clinchers then the shamals are the way to go.

If you need tubeless then shamal two way (if sticking with 25mm tires) or HED Ardennes black with bigger rubber.

tomato coupe
06-20-2020, 12:04 PM
With an SR12 build, I’d go Shamals ...

Shamals.

...shamals.

... shamals are the way to go.

If you need tubeless then shamal two way ...

Have Zondas been dethroned as the most oft-cited wheel set?

TRA
06-20-2020, 12:08 PM
Go with the Shamal Milles...a bit hefty but bullet proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thirdgenbird
06-20-2020, 12:12 PM
Have Zondas been dethroned as the most oft-cited wheel set?

I haven’t had the current shamals, but zonda wheels seem to be 98% of the performance, easier to true (on the rare occurrence it’s needed) and cheaper. Shamals are more of an ultimate expression of alloy wheels. Great match for super record.

Zonda is the universal answer. Shamal is a specific answer.

davidb
06-20-2020, 12:16 PM
HED rims DT Competition spokes, brass nipples, laced to. Hubs you can afford, 105 great last forever, Ultegra, Dura-Ace, White Industries, Chris King. Lots of great hub options. The HD rims can go tubless or clincher. Smooth brake track that is wide enough it easy to set brake pads. If you do not want to mess around go to Prowheelbuilder or Chris King both sell awesome HED clincher wheelsets.

thirdgenbird
06-20-2020, 12:22 PM
Shimano and Chris King hubs won’t be suitable for Campagnolo 12 speed.

tv_vt
06-20-2020, 12:59 PM
Agree with the trending Shamal consensus, but if DA could be considered, I'd throw in the Dura Ace c40 wheelset with the medium carbon fairing as an option. Or a Campy/Fulcrum model with a similar 40mm or so fairing. Shamals aren't exactly known for having any aero benefits.

NHAero
06-20-2020, 01:01 PM
Bought these (http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/2016/10/06/easton-ea90-sl-wheelset/) from nmrt here, super set of wheels.

yinzerniner
06-20-2020, 01:13 PM
Agree with the trending Shamal consensus, but if DA could be considered, I'd throw in the Dura Ace c40 wheelset with the medium carbon fairing as an option. Or a Campy/Fulcrum model with a similar 40mm or so fairing. Shamals aren't exactly known for having any aero benefits.

If going with carbon faring then HED jet black series is the way to go for the OPs needs. Better braking, campy compatible, and proven to be amongst the best for aero. Also the backbone of the Jet series is the Belgium/Ardennes which is also generally acknowledged as the finest alloy rim available. But they use very fragile fairings to the point where they don’t advise hanging the bike by the wheel.

But against current wisdom, aero isn’t everything. How wheels feel with regards to responsiveness, handling, and everyday usability is just as if not more important for long term satisfaction. Granted a lot of that is subjective and possibly a placebo effect, but being stuck with shimano hubs cassettes only on the DAs and cracking a faring on the Jets will objectively negatively affect ones overall opinion.

Also, shamals look dope AF!
https://bikerumor-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/3311_z_campagnolo-alluminum-wheels-shamal-mille-main.jpg

Bought these (http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/2016/10/06/easton-ea90-sl-wheelset/) from nmrt here, super set of wheels.
I still kick myself for selling that set of wheels. My favorite pair ever.

Velocipede
06-20-2020, 01:30 PM
I get to play with everything from custom to prebuilt. Consistently, Zonda and Shamal wheels are the Gold Standard. Quiet, smooth, super functional and relatively light for a prebuilt. Fits perfectly with Campy drivetrains. And they look great. You can't go wrong with either of them.

dan_hudson
06-20-2020, 01:31 PM
Fulcrum Zero Nite if you like more traditional spoke lacing. Really like the braking surface coating. Lots of the quality of old-school ceramic but without the howl (knock wood). Need to use the blue pads though.

Have been considering trying the Boyd version but have noticed a few posts of folks saying it wears off. I'm seeing some wear on the Zeros but not to the extent I gather folks are seeing on the Boyds.

ThasFACE
06-20-2020, 01:40 PM
Have both shamal ultra and Mille. Both are fantastic. Only potential issue could be the finish on the Mille, but I only say that because I’ve heard people complain. Personally, they’re still pristine, but I don’t ride the Mille’s in junk conditions.

bob heinatz
06-20-2020, 01:48 PM
I have a pair of Hed Belgium+ handbuild by Sugarwheels with campy compatible Chris King hubs. Great wheel set, very durable.

It's about 5 years old in great condition. They have been sitting in my garage for the past 2 years collecting dust. I do need to sell these. If you have any interest let me know.

thirdgenbird
06-20-2020, 02:42 PM
I have a pair of Hed Belgium+ handbuild by Sugarwheels with campy compatible Chris King hubs. Great wheel set, very durable.

It's about 5 years old in great condition. They have been sitting in my garage for the past 2 years collecting dust. I do need to sell these. If you have any interest let me know.

Pretty sure CK hubs will not accept a 12spd cassette.

biker72
06-20-2020, 02:55 PM
The Shamals are very popular but the Zondas I've had have been totally trouble free. Decent weight at a bargain price.

Hellgate
06-20-2020, 03:02 PM
Agree with the trending Shamal consensus, but if DA could be considered, I'd throw in the Dura Ace c40 wheelset with the medium carbon fairing as an option. Or a Campy/Fulcrum model with a similar 40mm or so fairing. Shamals aren't exactly known for having any aero benefits.Sacrilege

prototoast
06-20-2020, 03:09 PM
Their US availability is now limited, but a force rims are really nice, if you wanted to get a custom set built.

drgonzo
06-20-2020, 03:22 PM
Sacrilege

Exactly! :p

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Considering my unhealthy fixation on Campy, the fact that my neutrons and electrons have served me so well, and the overwhelming consensus that Shamals are as good as they look, I’m going with them. Pretty sure I’ll go for Mille unless I find some Ultras for much cheaper.

Ill post pics once I have the build together. Thanks again!!

NoBlink
06-21-2020, 03:43 AM
You can’t go wrong with the Shamals. However if you find the black coating of the Milles to be very important, I’d suggest to also look at the DT Swiss 1400 Oxic wheels (either 21 or the 32mm).

The black coating on these DT rims seems to be more durable than the Mille / Fulcrum Nite version. (However; with long use in the rain, it will also wear eventually).

one60
06-21-2020, 03:57 AM
I have both pair of the PR1400 Oxics and they have been solid performers. They arrive ready for tubeless set up with valves and a syringe kit from Milkit and the solid RSW quick releases all built around DT hubs and spokes. The weight of the lower profile rimmed wheelset is very competitive for 'climbing wheels' and one can descend with confidence.

OXIC coating has proven very durable. Save the rim brake!

oldpotatoe
06-21-2020, 06:06 AM
I'll soon need to pull the trigger on a new wheel set for my latest build. The bike is a Ti road that will be built up with mech Campy SR 12, rim brakes and 28mm tires. I never race, rarely ride in the wet, I'm about 170#, do a lot of climbing and centuries. I value ride quality, durability, aesthetics, and weight - in that order.

I'm way beyond trying to save a few bucks - I want the very "best". I DONT want carbon rims nor tubulars. I was pretty much set on going with Campy Shamal Mille C17 or Campy Shamal C17 Ultras (choice would come down to availability).

I figured I'd see if you guys think I'm missing something? Is there another brand I should consider? Should I consider having custom wheels made?

Thanks! :bike:

Just do those..you could have a custom set built, say using WI, Aivee, Hope, DT hubs with say, DT 411 rims but not sure the 'performance' would be any better...

oldpotatoe
06-21-2020, 06:08 AM

Nope, no CK and 123s Campag..alas.
The bike is a Ti road that will be built up with mech Campy SR 12

EliteVelo
06-21-2020, 10:21 AM
Another vote for Shamals. Unless you're in a hurry, rumor has it that Campy will be coming out with a new version of both the Shamal and Zonda. What it entails is unknown to me, other that the obvious increase in price I'm assuming.

vincenz
06-21-2020, 10:28 AM
Another vote for Shamals. Unless you're in a hurry, rumor has it that Campy will be coming out with a new version of both the Shamal and Zonda. What it entails is unknown to me, other that the obvious increase in price I'm assuming.

I am VERY interested in that. Either way, PBK has a great price on Milles right now.

DeBike
06-21-2020, 10:31 AM
I love my Zonda's. I've never had Shamals as I have no reason to spend that much money on a set of wheels. Zondas are less than half the price and I repeat, I love my Zondas. How much you can afford, or are willing to spend, definitely a factor.

oldpotatoe
06-21-2020, 01:09 PM

Hmmmm, good thing shimano has never increased the prices on their wheels.....
😤

jtbadge
06-21-2020, 01:10 PM
Hmmmm, good thing shimano has never increased the prices on their wheels.....
😤

What does any of that post have to do with Shimano?

EliteVelo
06-21-2020, 03:35 PM

First thing that came to mind as well....

BTW, since we're stirring the pot, I have both Campy Shamal and Shimano C24, and if blindfolded, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Both are amazing clinchers right outta the box.

shinomaster
06-21-2020, 03:41 PM
Go with the Shamal Milles...a bit hefty but bullet proof.

Hefty? Shamals are my all time favorite wheels after having ridden nice Hand-builts, Neutron Ultras, Neutrons, Zondas, and Ksyrium Es ( also nice but lame hubs) Shamals are so responsive and climb better than most everything are roll so fast on the super smooth hubs.

cgolvin
06-21-2020, 04:09 PM
Seems like you've already decided, but here's another data/opinion point given the earlier mention of this alternative.

I have a pair of WI/Archetype handbuilts and a pair of (previous gen) Shamal Ultras. While I like them both, I much prefer the Shamals. I've had to service the WI hubs more frequently and have broken several spokes on the rear of that set (first spokes I broke in decades of riding, were due to a ding in the rim).

So, another vote for Shamals.

Joe
06-21-2020, 04:33 PM
You can’t go wrong with the Shamals. However if you find the black coating of the Milles to be very important, I’d suggest to also look at the DT Swiss 1400 Oxic wheels (either 21 or the 32mm)

Are the DT Swiss wheels compatible with Campy 12 speed cassettes?

Tony T
06-21-2020, 05:15 PM
I have a set with White Industry Hubs and H+Son rims, have been great wheels for a lot of miles and every piece is serviceable.

Same here. Was my first build, and after a few years and many miles, still true (I put in a stand to check annually)

flying
06-21-2020, 10:11 PM
I always smile thinking Campy likes to hide Easter egg products in their line

Meaning a product so good in function & cost yet hidden by lack of trumpeting

I think the Zonda C17 is such a product
At $350 & 1540 grams compared to $786 for Shamals 1449 gram? I guess if you want the Mille Black then yes $862 & 1469 grams??
(recent prices from ProBikeKit known for good deals on Campy Wheels)

Another IMO is Campagnolo's H11 carbon crank. At 636 grams & with USB Ceramic bearing it rivals Record/Super Record weight at the often crazy low price of $260 on sale ;)

drgonzo
06-21-2020, 10:21 PM

Hmm, now that sounds intriguing. I wonder if this is why I'm having seeing a lot of "out of stock" for current Shamals with Campy hubs? Any sense on timing? I'm looking at needing the wheels in mid to late August.

prototoast
06-21-2020, 11:15 PM
Hmm, now that sounds intriguing. I wonder if this is why I'm having seeing a lot of "out of stock" for current Shamals with Campy hubs? Any sense on timing? I'm looking at needing the wheels in mid to late August.

I assumed all the "out of stock" was related to supply chain issues + surging bike demand due to covid.

robertbb
06-22-2020, 03:38 AM
I've owned Shamal C17's and Zonda C17's.

My honest opinion having put thousands of km's on both, is that I'd choose the Zonda's any day of the week. The weight difference was negligible at ~75 grams (and it's fairly clear that was mostly in the hub - an all aluminium affair vs the carbon-tubed hubshell on the Shamals).

More importantly, I felt the thick aluminium spokes on the Shamals really inhibited the wheel - they'd kinda "top out" and reach "terminal velocity", particularly in head-winds... and they also really felt heavy in crosswinds.

The Zondas, did not suffer those issues whatsoever. Plus I did not notice any reduction in performance on climbs. As far as I could tell, stiffness was a wash between the two.

Zonda's have record hubs (check the part number). They are just so damn sweet.

For their price, they are an ABSOLUTE steal. If I'm being totally honest, I'm not sure Bora's are even close to twice the wheel the Zonda's are... and yet cost 7-8 times as much.

If rumours of an updated C19 aluminium Campy wheel are true... boy oh boy! Curious to know if they keep both models... they seem to be really cutting down on inventory.

NoBlink
06-22-2020, 03:43 AM
Are the DT Swiss wheels compatible with Campy 12 speed cassettes?

Yes, if you set them up / have them set up with the right Campagnolo body.

vincenz
06-22-2020, 05:17 AM

I think they do it on purpose because nothing else on the market comes close at that price point. It’s easily the gateway drug into Campy. Like iPhone is into the Apple ecosystem.

My honest opinion having put thousands of km's on both, is that I'd choose the Zonda's any day of the week. The weight difference was negligible at ~75 grams (and it's fairly clear that was mostly in the hub - an all aluminium affair vs the carbon-tubed hubshell on the Shamals).

More importantly, I felt the thick aluminium spokes on the Shamals really inhibited the wheel - they'd kinda "top out" and reach "terminal velocity", particularly in head-winds... and they also really felt heavy in crosswinds.

The Zondas, did not suffer those issues whatsoever. Plus I did not notice any reduction in performance on climbs. As far as I could tell, stiffness was a wash between the two.

For their price, they are an ABSOLUTE steal. If I'm being totally honest, I'm not sure Bora's are even close to twice the wheel the Zonda's are... and yet cost 7-8 times as much.

If rumours of an updated C19 aluminium Campy wheel are true... boy oh boy! Curious to know if they keep both models... they seem to be really cutting down on inventory.

I’ve found Shamals slightly stiffer/harsher than Zondas due to their aluminum spokes. Not a huge difference though and both are plenty stiff with the G3 lacing.

Street price for boras are closer to 4-5x that of Zondas, not 7-8x. And I don’t think Zondas can be compared to Boras in performance. It’s a whole other ball game and worth the entry price. Boras spin up and hold speed especially in a way that make aluminum wheels just feel slow, Zondas and Shamals included.

flying
06-22-2020, 11:37 AM
I think they do it on purpose because nothing else on the market comes close at that price point. It’s easily the gateway drug into Campy. Like iPhone is into the Apple ecosystem.

:beer: That is a great way to explain it ;)

EliteVelo
06-22-2020, 12:42 PM

It is my belief that the out of stocks are due to the current pandemic.

As far as timing, my Campy source informs me that they cannot exacerbate on the new launch, but new Shamals are inevitable. Zonda in question. I wish I had better answers, but unfortunately I do not. Either way, you cannot go wrong with the current models imo.

Not to get too far of topic, I'm going to further guess that the Bora line will all be streamlined to WTO only.

Reedy1
06-23-2020, 09:45 PM
Currently Fulcrum zero night - which I love
And before that fulcrum zero ,s and fulcrum 1 ,s . Bombproof- never had a single issue with any of them

tomato coupe
06-23-2020, 09:56 PM
As far as timing, my Campy source informs me that they cannot exacerbate on the new launch, but new Shamals are inevitable.

Typo? Auto spell?

vincenz
06-23-2020, 10:05 PM
Typo? Auto spell?

Expound, explicate, elucidate

Velocipede
06-23-2020, 10:32 PM
I've seen the 2021 Presentation. Get the current Shamals. Seriously.

The reason places are out of stock was the month long shutdown in Italy. Just remember, that if you want something, get it now or put the order in fast. August is coming quick and they'll be closed again for a month.

nortx-Dave
06-23-2020, 11:01 PM

Meaning a product so good in function & cost yet hidden by lack of trumpeting

I think the Zonda C17 is such a product
At $350 & 1540 grams compared to $786 for Shamals 1449 gram? I guess if you want the Mille Black then yes $862 & 1469 grams??
(recent prices from ProBikeKit known for good deals on Campy Wheels)

In case the OP hasn't already decided I'll cast my vote for the Zondas. I've had a pair on my Lynskey for exactly 1 year and 5 days and have 9617 miles to date and I cannot say enough good things about them. Super durable, extremely reliable, an overall killer value. I'd buy another pair in a heartbeat.

But.......on my incoming Bishop I've spec'ed Bora WTO 33's. I can't wait to do my own comparo.

TMD
06-23-2020, 11:56 PM
Dt swiss 1400 dicut oxic 21's look great on my serotta titanium build. With a set of conti 5000's and tubilito's they climb amazing.

Joe
06-24-2020, 12:04 AM
Hmm, now that sounds intriguing. I wonder if this is why I'm having seeing a lot of "out of stock" for current Shamals with Campy hubs?Any sense on timing? I'm looking at needing the wheels in mid to late August.

I’ve noticed the same thing. If you don’t mind my asking, did you find a source for these?

oldpotatoe
06-24-2020, 06:43 AM

comment on this about Campagnolo wheels
other that the obvious increase in price I'm assuming.

ALL bike companies raise their prices for new stuff, not just Campagnolo.

You don't like it when something that is implied that only Campagnolo 'does wrong' or is 'bad', is actually something that is done industry wide, like raising prices for new stuff or stop/start making stuff..like shimano and clothes...:)

scpknees
06-24-2020, 07:50 AM
Just spent a day over in the western part of Wisconsin which is full of steep climbs on a new pair of Shamal Ultra's. Happy I bought them.

drgonzo
06-24-2020, 09:02 AM
I’ve noticed the same thing. If you don’t mind my asking, did you find a source for these?

Seems some places are getting them back in stock. Glory Cycles says they have them - https://glorycycles.com/campagnolo-shamal-mille-clincher/

I've seen the 2021 Presentation. Get the current Shamals. Seriously.

Super curious to know what you saw that made you think the current models are better?

Velocipede
06-24-2020, 10:06 AM
Super curious to know what you saw that made you think the current models are better?

Just look at the title of your thread. That says it all. ;)

BY THE WAY, Zonda's aren't changing.

I've ridden both. Personally, for the money, you can't beat the Zonda wheels. BUT, if you have the cash, spring for the Shamal wheels. Especially if you're a bigger rider who can mash the pedals. They are so much stiffer. Both are equally quiet and smooth. But the spokes and design on the Shamals do let the rider feel the road a bit more. Not as soft.

vincenz
06-24-2020, 11:06 AM
Just look at the title of your thread. That says it all. ;)

BY THE WAY, Zonda's aren't changing.

Shamals are going carbon?!

Would make sense. Lower price point carbon to differentiate from Boras.

Velocipede
06-24-2020, 11:08 AM
Shamals are going carbon?!

I decline to comment on the grounds it may incriminate me.

makoti
06-24-2020, 11:26 AM

https://www.bike24.com/p2178022.html?q=shamals

Robot870
06-24-2020, 11:29 AM
I'm currently running HED Jet 4/6's and they have been bomb proof......Set it and forget it!

TRA
06-27-2020, 05:43 PM
Hefty? Shamals are my all time favorite wheels after having ridden nice Hand-builts, Neutron Ultras, Neutrons, Zondas, and Ksyrium Es ( also nice but lame hubs) Shamals are so responsive and climb better than most everything are roll so fast on the super smooth hubs.

Yes, hefty:-)

Velocipede
06-27-2020, 08:01 PM

1450 grams isn't horribly hefty.

TRA
06-27-2020, 08:14 PM
OK...maybe not horribly so:-)

scho74
06-28-2020, 12:59 AM
Shamal C17s! I love mine. Durability has been good, got the rear hub serviced recently and it feels brand new again.

https://live.staticflickr.com/746/32745913401_3de8cdb3c0_b.jpg

nachetetm
06-28-2020, 05:41 AM
I decline to comment on the grounds it may incriminate me.Like Fulcrum Racing carbons or like quattro carbons? I bet the former...
Zonda Mille C19 would be absolutely perfect.

oldpotatoe
06-28-2020, 06:10 AM

BUT..is 1250g wheelset 'light'?..that's about 8 ounces on a 3000 ounce bike and rider 'package' vs a 1450g wheelset..Yer water bottle weighs, what, 3-4 times that?

tomato coupe
06-28-2020, 05:09 PM
Agree..is 1250g wheelset 'light'?..that's about 8 ounces on a 3000 ounce bike and rider 'package' vs a 1450g wheelset.

OMG. Your 'package' weighs that much?

tv_vt
06-28-2020, 05:21 PM
OMG. Your 'package' weighs that much?

3000 ounces = 187.5 pounds. Average American male weighs about 197 pounds.

So, the point of your post is what? :rolleyes:

tomato coupe
06-28-2020, 05:52 PM
So, the point of your post is what? :rolleyes:

Humor.

cloudchaser
06-29-2020, 08:11 AM
I got it, and thought it was funny :hello: