PDA

View Full Version : Is this a bike?

duff_duffy
06-19-2020, 08:18 PM
These are cool. Does it count as a bike?
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/podbike-combines-human-electric-power-174605504.html

NHAero
06-19-2020, 08:42 PM
I haven't ridden a velomobile with electric assist, but I can say that riding one without assist like the Quest is an absolute blast and it definitely is a bike (trike, really!) A friend who was a serious rando cyclist (PBP finisher, Ultra Randonneur) switched to one, and he holds course records even in hilly courses with his.

As Ti Designs sez, if the pedals are turning, it's all good.

Steve in SLO
06-19-2020, 08:47 PM
Looks like fun, but it is, strictly speaking, a quadracycle.

Mark McM
06-19-2020, 08:57 PM
These are cool. Does it count as a bike?
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/podbike-combines-human-electric-power-174605504.html

Technically no, it is a tricycle. But people today tend to associate any pedal powered machine with "bicycle". For example, the oxymoronically named "stationary bicycle" - a bicycles is a transportation vehicle with two wheels, whereas a "stationary bicycle" has 1 or less wheels, and can't transport you anywhere.

As a bit of trivia, it turns out that pedal powered tricycles and quadacycles (4 wheels) actually pre-date the bicycle by half a century or more. Technically, they weren't actually pedal powered, but instead were more commonly treadle powered.

Tz779
06-19-2020, 09:00 PM
ummm, no.

charliedid
06-19-2020, 09:11 PM
HPV - Human Powered Vehicle

I've always wished I lived some place where and Organic Transit Elf (https://organictransit.com/)would be useful. Sadly that is not the city of Chicago :-)

ultraman6970
06-20-2020, 12:41 AM
Isnt this the same guy that made like a 4 wheels like bike, think sweeden or something that way of the world?

unterhausen
06-20-2020, 09:48 AM
I think in most places, an electric powered 4 wheeler is a car and needs to be licensed, insured and inspected as a car. That's why there are so many 3 wheeled cars masquerading as motorcycles. Someone recently posted elsewhere that they couldn't get insurance from the bike manufacturers association for a 4 wheeled pedal powered bike, no e-assist.

There was a guy here in town that had a 3 wheel 'bent with an electric motor. Looked like a hoot to ride. He was extremely reckless with it though.

old_fat_and_slow
06-20-2020, 11:19 AM
Why would you want to ride inside a bubble (except when it's raining). Isn't a lot of the fun of biking being free in the outdoors feeling the sun, the wind and the elements??

No thanks, if I need to go somewhere while it's raining I'll stick to my redneck, gas guzzling, V-8 pickup.

Toeclips
06-20-2020, 11:21 AM
I see that motor assisted has trickled down from the pro's....couldn't help it

williammmm
06-20-2020, 11:43 AM
Some credible sources cited by the author in this article:

“In my opinion, this transport is better than a real car,” one user wrote.

“It looks fun,” one added.

“I want one,” another person wrote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk