PDA

View Full Version : ot: attic ladder

vqdriver
06-17-2020, 07:21 PM
gotta pick one and not too many websites dedicated to reviewing these things. whatever reviews i've seen are more focused on features and design, and not so much longevity or capacity. it's going to a garage attic so space beneath it is not a factor. opening is 30/54 which i think is good size and if i want to maximize the opening i think my choices are pretty much louiseville or fakro. within fakro, i have the option of steel folding, or scissor type. i've owned both louiseville and werner ladders, but never heard of fakro. any experience/feedback? any experience with the scissor types? sure looks like it would bow and sway with weight on it.

pros/cons of wood vs steel?

steelbikerider
06-17-2020, 07:47 PM
I had one installed last summer and paid the extra $100 bucks or so for a folding aluminum ladder, much sturdier. My opening was only 50 x 24" or so.

It was worth it to pay another 200 or so to have it installed. I'm usuallly pretty handy around the house but even after watching a couple of videos, I was thinking an all day 2 person project. One guy came in and was done in 2 hours. I watched and realized that unless I had installed a few myself I would never have done it right. He even replaced all the trim and painted a primer coat on. I used Lowe's to get everything, including the install.

stephenmarklay
06-17-2020, 08:07 PM
Mine is a wood ladder deal. It works but the hinge is failing and the ladder doesn’t look all that sturdy. It is probably 25 years old so I guess it is normal wear and tear.

I might swap it out.