PDA

View Full Version : OT: Computer Audio Interface

cmbicycles
06-17-2020, 06:11 PM
I'm looking into getting an audio interface for our computer (have PC and older mac) to use a standard (better quality) microphone for music lessons for my kids and probably for teaching in the fall for me when schools open virtually. Any advice on simple quality setup?

I was looking at the Focusrite scarlet 2i2 for a mic and instrument, as that is probably all I would need for the foreseeable future. Any others that someone would recommend?

Spaghetti Legs
06-17-2020, 09:10 PM
I recently got a Focusrite Scarlett Solo and absolutely love it. The solo has just one mic and one instrument input. I use it with Garageband on my Mac and have been playing and recording almost every day after letting my electric guitar gather dust for years. I think the 2i2 differs in that it has 2 mic inputs. I think people like that aspect for recording podcasts. At any rate, big thumbs up for Focusrite.

cmbicycles
06-17-2020, 10:01 PM
Interesting, I'll have to read a bit more as I thought the solo only had one input. Can you use the mic and instrument inputs simultaneously and mix them?

Mattre
06-17-2020, 10:02 PM
I've been using a 2i2 for about a year now to record guitars and it's been great. I like having separate outputs for monitors and headphones too.

Spaghetti Legs
06-20-2020, 04:19 PM
Interesting, I'll have to read a bit more as I thought the solo only had one input. Can you use the mic and instrument inputs simultaneously and mix them?

I think so but haven't tried it. The mic I have uses a standard audio jack instead of the microphone jack on the solo.