PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Front Derailleur Problem

3DPaul
06-17-2020, 10:20 AM
Hello,

I'm having a bit of an issue with a front derailleur on my vintage build.
I've got a Vitus I believe Carbone 9 frameset and it comes with a Braze-on bit for the FD. I'm using a Campagnolo Chorus groupset.

The Braze-on bit on my frame seems to be quite thick and after I put an FD and the washer that came with it, there's not much space left for the bolt to screw on. I can still screw it on, but it seems like there should be more space left and I'm not sure if it is secure enough.

I was just wondering if anyone has had an issue like this or am I just being paranoid here?

I've attached a photo, hopefully it makes sense.

Thanks!

ultraman6970
06-17-2020, 10:59 AM
Hi, Im not sure but something doesnt look right besides the the problem u have.

The FD is male??? that I know of all the FD's are female... just asking, i might be super wrong too.

Now to your problem, I would change the piece for another one, if you cant just sand it down a mm or so. That thing looks to me like the ones you use in brakes.

oliver1850
06-17-2020, 12:01 PM
If you are set on using that FD the only thing you can do is to replace the concave washer with a thin stainless steel flat washer. That should gain a couple of threads. If the stud extends through the nut when tight it should be secure.

You might consider using a 9 speed era FD instead. They mount with a screw which can be any length required.

3DPaul
06-17-2020, 01:47 PM
Thanks a lot for your replies!

I found a thinner washer and it does work. It seems pretty tight and secure.
However, now I can't seem to get the angle right. It's not exactly parallel to the chainring. I assume it should be?

I don't mind getting another FD. From what I read a 9 speed FD should work perfectly fine with 8 speeds, right?

ultraman6970
06-17-2020, 03:12 PM
I do not have anything that old but would not surprise me that even a 10 speed would work fine. Specially if you are using d/t shifters or if the lever is a record that has bunch of small clickies.

oliver1850
06-17-2020, 10:28 PM
[QUOTE=3DPaul;2741394]Thanks a lot for your replies!

I found a thinner washer and it does work. It seems pretty tight and secure.
However, now I can't seem to get the angle right. It's not exactly parallel to the chainring. I assume it should be?

I don't mind getting another FD. From what I read a 9 speed FD should work perfectly fine with 8 speeds, right?[/QUOTE

This is one of the reasons that I do not like braze on tabs. If the angle of the tab relative to the centerline of the bike is off by a minute amount it can be hard to get the FD parallel to the rings. I have resorted to filing FD or the tab to get the alignment right. You may have to resort to that to get any given FD parallet to the chain rings.

There are Campagnolo 8 speed era FDs that mount with a bolt but they don't turn up as often as the 9 speed ones.

oldpotatoe
06-18-2020, 06:33 AM
Hi, Im not sure but something doesnt look right besides the the problem u have.

The FD is male??? that I know of all the FD's are female... just asking, i might be super wrong too.

Now to your problem, I would change the piece for another one, if you cant just sand it down a mm or so. That thing looks to me like the ones you use in brakes.

Really old Chorus, like from the mid 80s..I'd try to find a thinner plate, maybe even a shimano one or even just a flat washer, that will bend some to conform to the bend.
I don't mind getting another FD. From what I read a 9 speed FD should work perfectly fine with 8 speeds, right?

Pretty much any front der will work with 8s ERGO/DT friction left shifter..even other brands but the rest of the group would cry if it weren't Campagnolo...:)

3DPaul
06-18-2020, 10:55 AM
I found a Chorus FD on eBay that uses a bolt, the seller even said he's gonna send me a few extra ones to make sure it fits. So should be good. Now I just need to try and align it to the chainring.

This is literally the last part I needed for this build to be complete. This is my first one, so it's been a big challenge to figure out what fits and what doesn't. I must say, a really fun project though.

Thanks for all your replies, this has been a big help!