PDA

View Full Version : Oval Seatposts for MTB

d_douglas
01-25-2007, 03:43 PM
If I weigh 195 and ride XC, will an Oval Concepts post support me? They are old school cool, but they need to be Thomson strong, IMO. If so, which of the cheap ones is suitable? There are three models...

Opinions?

Darren

coylifut
01-25-2007, 03:46 PM
If I weigh 195 and ride XC, will an Oval Concepts post support me? They are old school cool, but they need to be Thomson strong, IMO. If so, which of the cheap ones is suitable? There are three models...

Opinions?

Darren

I use em on my cross bikes with no problem, but I'm 162 and easy on equipment. Is there a reason for not getting the Thomson? That's what I use on the MTB.

keno
01-25-2007, 05:55 PM
but my experience with an Oval Seatpost. http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=24725&highlight=keno

keno

CNote
01-25-2007, 09:32 PM
Oval Concepts seatposts belong in the trash heap. The first one sent to me by QBP had a noticeable crack in it. The second one wouldn't hold the saddle's tilt for more than 30 seconds regardless of torque. Worst bike-related item I've ever bought.

d_douglas
01-26-2007, 01:52 AM
I will stick with the Thomson.

Perhaps not surprisingly, there was no dissent by other Forumites on the trashing that the post was given - silence is deadly.

coylifut
01-26-2007, 10:29 AM
I've found the clamp, which is shared by the Richey and the Pro brand, gives folks problems, yet it's the most used clamp in the pro cx world. The trick is to alternate tightening it from side to side and to torque it far past spec, but evenly between bolts. Once locked into place, it'll stay secure through a season of racing cross. I've never broken a bolt or stripped the top plate no matter how much I've over torqued it. I have broken the clamp on a Thomson post JRA more than once, yet still prefer it over this design. The other thing that is annoying about this particular clamp is that it wont hold level while torqueing and the nose tilts slightly forward, so you have to start with the saddle tilted up a bit to gain level by the time you are done torqueing it.

My take is that it does work really well for off-road use, but you have to get to know it's idiosyncracies