PDA

View Full Version : Cassette tool piloting pin

CMiller
06-16-2020, 04:58 PM
I am going to buy one of the great looking Abbey Crombie cassette tools - undecided whether I want to get two-sided Shimano/Campagnolo or Shimano regular/thru axle. The thru axle tool has a pilot pin for 12mm.

My bikes are: 2 thru axle Shimano, 2 quick release Shimano, 1 quick release Campagnolo.

Do you all find the pilot pins to be helpful or are the regular tools fine for casual use?

https://www.abbeybiketools.com/products/dual-sided-crombie-tool?ref=yotpo_93&variant=242364892

https://www.abbeybiketools.com/products/crombie-thru-axle-std-handle?ref=yotpo_93&variant=16650079751

donevwil
06-16-2020, 05:02 PM
I have not used the Crombie with the piloting pin, but my regular Shim/Campy Crombie works fine on TAs. I also have all three variants and didn't want two tools.

fmradio516
06-16-2020, 09:13 PM
I have not used the Crombie with the piloting pin, but my regular Shim/Campy Crombie works fine on TAs. I also have all three variants and didn't want two tools.

+100

I definitely benefit more from the campy/shimano one that I would ever from the pinned one.

davidb
06-16-2020, 10:43 PM
I have both in the shop. Never use the "pilot" one. Use the Campagnolo/Shimano multiple times every day. Disc rotors and cassette lockrings.

Dino Suegiù
06-16-2020, 11:46 PM
Wow Abbey tools are so gorgeous, really beautiful stuff. I don't need any, want to buy all. :help:

CMiller
06-17-2020, 12:04 AM
Thanks all, looks like it’s decided!

jtakeda
06-17-2020, 12:38 AM
Thanks all, looks like it’s decided!

I have the dual sided shimano/campy one but I think the pilot pin one is designed for tightening rotor lockrings so theyre kind of different tools.

I cant get my crombie to tighten down rotor lockrings so i use the wrench style lockring instead

tristan
06-17-2020, 04:15 AM
The pin is for removing super tight cassettes, generally sram XD ones which like to affix themselves to the freehub. Unless you're using XD cassettes you'll be fine without the guide pin.

clarendon
06-17-2020, 11:25 AM
I am also looking at the dual sided Crombie (Campy/Shimano) but unsure whether I get the Abbey chain whip that goes with it or the Pedros Vise whip (or something else). Any advice? Thanks

pdonk
06-17-2020, 12:00 PM
I am also looking at the dual sided Crombie (Campy/Shimano) but unsure whether I get the Abbey chain whip that goes with it or the Pedros Vise whip (or something else). Any advice? Thanks

I have two abbey chain whips - one for track and one regular - really nice tools to use and the fact the Crombie fits inside the chain whip is nice for storage