PDA

View Full Version : Tommasini Tecno Question

Rpou
06-16-2020, 02:42 PM
Hello all,

I am hoping that I am not posting this in the wrong place so I will apologize in advance if I am.

Also, I am pretty new to the forum and cycling in general.

I have been looking for a Italian bike that is newer with the 130 rear spacing. I came across this Tommasini Tecno on craigslist for $600. It is in my size and seems pretty reasonable in regards if I grab it and ride for awhile and don't like it I could pass it on without losing very much.

The biggest question I have is all the Tecnos I see online have steel lugs while this one is welded.

Does anyone know if a welded Tecno was in the lineup at one point in time. I guess I am just worried about it not being a Tommasini even though that seems like a small possibility.

tuscanyswe
06-16-2020, 02:48 PM
Dont know which years this was available. It may actually still be as tommasini does custom.

Its a tommasini tecno tig so no lugs..

I have a lugged one that is fantastic!

Rpou
06-16-2020, 02:59 PM
Thanks tuscanyswe. That makes sense.

Everything I have read about the Tommasini tecno is big time positive so that is good to affirm from your experience as well.

I wish that this one was steel lugs too because I really like the look of steel lugs, but at this price I think I will grab it just to try it out. If I end up losing a couple hundred bucks if I resale, then it will be worth the experience.

tuscanyswe
06-16-2020, 03:01 PM
Yeah tig makes for a sportier look and lugs may have more classic appeal. I like both depending on the mood.

I hope you really like it! Good luck

Rpou
06-16-2020, 03:13 PM
very good and thanks for the time and feedback.

thirdgenbird
06-16-2020, 03:41 PM
Yes, I have seen welded tecno frames. I think they were sold as a lighter and more performance oriented variant.

Pretty sure the full name is Tecno Tig as pointed out above.

Rpou
06-16-2020, 04:07 PM
Ahh, I see. I googled Tecno Tig and now I am getting some hits on the difference between the Tecno lugged and Tecno Tig.

This all checks out then.

This particular one seems to have some mish mash of aftermarket parts. Shimano PRO Stealth EVO integrated handlebar /stem, some kind of carbon seatpost, and MAVIC KSYRIUM wheels. They don't all seem to go together aesthetically.

Thanks again.

thirdgenbird
06-16-2020, 04:20 PM
Great frame but it’s certainly a “parts bin” build.

I think you could go a lot of ways with this. Period or modern. Silver or black.

I think I would be tempted to go with a Campagnolo 10 speed group or a 2015+ 11 speed group with a pre-15 crankset. It would really be pretty hard to go wrong as long as everything matches.

alexstar
06-16-2020, 04:38 PM
As others have said, yes, Tommasini has made a welded Tecno in the past called the Tecno Tig. I have a welded Tommasini myself and love it.

I would buy it and ride it. If you love it, and decide that you really want a lugged one, you can buy a new one at a later date.

I've always meant to buy a Tecno, too. Maybe that time is approaching...

grateful
06-16-2020, 05:30 PM
I have a full Chorus 10 Group that is taking up space if interested. It is all shiny alloy.

Rpou
06-16-2020, 05:52 PM
Well, I had already convinced myself to grab it so you all gave me the push while already falling.

If it works out, I do like the idea of the Campagnolo 10 speed so I will let you know. I think I would just log some miles on it first to see how I like it as is before I go full rebuild.

thirdgenbird
06-16-2020, 06:44 PM
Well, I had already convinced myself to grab it so you all gave me the push while already falling.

If it works out, I do like the idea of the Campagnolo 10 speed so I will let you know. I think I would just log some miles on it first to see how I like it as is before I go full rebuild.

Congratulations!

I have a full Chorus 10 Group that is taking up space if interested. It is all shiny alloy.

Record or chorus 10 would be ideal.