PDA

View Full Version : Shoe sizing

tjk23
06-16-2020, 07:00 AM
So in my quest for new shoes it's really got me to thinking about cycling shoe sizing. I never really thought about having a wide foot until about 7 years ago when I needed to replace my old Sworks shoes, which were a regular 43. Tried a ton of shoes until I found a pair of Lakes in a 43 wide. I have been looking to replace them and I am struggling to find ones that I like and that fit. The new lakes I tried are either too big or to small making me feel like Goldilocks but unable to find the one that fits just right.
So this all has me wondering. My foot width is 110mm, is that truly wide? Cycling shoes are the only shoes I need a wide in. Anyone else in the situation and if so what brands do you wear?

Veloo
06-16-2020, 07:41 AM
I'd say you're a wide cuz I'm also 11 cm and I struggle to find proper fit.

I wear Lake 43.5 wide but they told me they have gone a bit wider since the days of the CX330.

I got D2 road shoes a few years ago.

Recently got custom Luck MTB shoes.

After years of discomfort/ pain, it was a justifiable splurge.

OtayBW
06-16-2020, 09:19 AM
So in my quest for new shoes it's really got me to thinking about cycling shoe sizing. I never really thought about having a wide foot until about 7 years ago when I needed to replace my old Sworks shoes, which were a regular 43. Tried a ton of shoes until I found a pair of Lakes in a 43 wide. I have been looking to replace them and I am struggling to find ones that I like and that fit. The new lakes I tried are either too big or to small making me feel like Goldilocks but unable to find the one that fits just right.
So this all has me wondering. My foot width is 110mm, is that truly wide? Cycling shoes are the only shoes I need a wide in. Anyone else in the situation and if so what brands do you wear?
Lake has a pretty good sizing guide that will put your 110mm into context. They also make a suite of wide and extra wide sizes for many shoes. Check it out.

Hellgate
06-16-2020, 10:30 AM
Lake is great. They have at least 3 lasts with two widths. Their sizing guide is very helpful too.

https://lakecycling.com/pages/sizing-charts

ultraman6970
06-16-2020, 11:26 AM
OP, i do not know what shoe model u had but what i noticed with lake is that as fancier the shoe model the bigger it gets, so a 45 in low end will be tighter than the high end models.

Remember got a 45 in the super high end model that was moldeable like for 200 bucks at ebay, those are like 500 or 600 bucks. Size apparently was what they said, the insole said 45 and measured with other 45s insoles from lake i had moving around and that shoe fit like a 47, had to return them. So never knew if it was a mislabeled shoe, or what. My best guess is that because the high end vs the low end the differences are the material used inside of the shoe and that makes a difference, the low end stuff uses like fabric mesh thing, the high end uses leather and really tight, so that creates more room.

I can tell you that the cx218 44.5 is what they say it is... the 45 cx237 feels a lot bigger than half a size, i would say almost a full size bigger... both shoes have different material inside, the 237 is full leather, the 218 is thick fabric.

Hope this helps you.

tjk23
06-16-2020, 12:09 PM
My last two pair of shoes were Lake CX401 wide and Lake CX402 wide. Paid over $500 for the 402s which need replacing. Trying to avoid the CX403 price tag.

AngryScientist
06-16-2020, 12:22 PM
i dont know if this helps you, but here is my data point story:

my ideal shoe is Giro. they fit my foot perfectly.

standard sidi, i feel is too narrow for me, so i just got a set of mega sidi (wide), and they were too wide for me, so i purchased some aftermarket insoles which took up some volume and they are now perfect for me.

so, as a suggestion, maybe:

go wide and use some higher/medium volume insoles

or

try giro

donevwil
06-16-2020, 12:30 PM
Did you ever try Specialized in wide? My road shoes are Spec Pro Roads from a many years back in 49W, they fit perfectly.

I primarily wear Lake MTB and CX shoes currently, 50W in both the Sport and Competition lasts. Sport last fits well, but heel is way too roomy, Competition fits better as it's a bit wider up front with a slightly narrower, albeit still too roomy, heel. Tried a Race last which were definitely too narrow. The fact is I'm probably a 49W in Lake which, obviously, doesn't exist.

Recently picked up a pair of Bont Vaypors XCs in 50W, these appear to fit perfectly even prior to forming. Since their stack is so much less than the Lakes they are sitting in a box until I can afford a second pair and sell the Lakes.

paredown
06-18-2020, 03:23 PM
I'm bumping this because I'm still puzzling over shoe sizes. I'm finding that different companies will translate Euro sizes to slightly different US sizes. One way to check what's up is to look for the nominal size in mm, which the Lake sizing chart does.

I found a second chart for Fizik shoes here--also giving Euro/US/nominal in mm:
https://www.pushys.com.au/sizechart/view/block/id/fizik-shoe-sizing-chart/

Edit to add: found this brand comparison on Rapha:
https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/stories/shoe-comparison-guide

Oddly, I found out that Specialized changed their "US' size for the 45s--on my older shoes, 45 is translated as a US 12 (nominal 290mm); on newer shoes, 45 is translated as 11.5 (same nominal size).

Anyways I now have two sets of shoes that I purchased used that are too big--wish I had got more detail oriented before ordering blindly. Ah well, there is always eBay!:banana: