PDA

View Full Version : What canti or V brakes with Campy 11 levers?

Veloo
06-15-2020, 10:00 AM
Looking at a fork with canti brake bosses to go on the road bike which runs Athena 11 brake levers.

What canti or V brakes are you using with your Campy 11 levers that give good stopping power?

Ones that use road style pads would be a plus so I don't have to go out and buy more pads.

thirdgenbird
06-15-2020, 10:06 AM
I love my Campagnolo CX cantilever brakes. They worked great with 10spd and 12spd so I would assume 11 would be the same. Maybe a bit hard to find today, but worth it. They use Shimano-style road pads.

Edit:
I guess they were an 11spd era part.

lookout2015
06-15-2020, 10:12 AM
Paul minimotos

nalax
06-15-2020, 10:20 AM
Paul Mini-Motos here too

C40_guy
06-15-2020, 01:38 PM
If I didn't already have a couple of sets of the TRP CX8.4 brakes, I'd be looking for Mini Motos. In fact, I am looking for Mini Motos. :)

jpsawyer23
06-17-2020, 06:05 AM
I love my Campagnolo CX cantilever brakes. They worked great with 10spd and 12spd so I would assume 11 would be the same. Maybe a bit hard to find today, but worth it. They use Shimano-style road pads.

Edit:
I guess they were an 11spd era part.

One of my favorite canti brakes as well.
They are impossible to find though. At one point they were extremely easy to find and then just disappeared.

As for new brakes, I just put a hand on the shorter Box components One v brakes, and they are really nice and they make a short pull version.

thirdgenbird
06-17-2020, 08:54 AM
One of my favorite canti brakes as well.
They are impossible to find though. At one point they were extremely easy to find and then just disappeared.

Agreed. I’ve never seen anything quite like it. It seems stock vanished from every seller almost overnight. I really regret not buying a pair in black and in silver. I don’t recall what I paid, but I recall it being a bargain.

C40_guy
06-17-2020, 09:39 AM
Easier to find the old MTB Campy cantilevers.

I tried a set of the then-new cantis, found them a bit quirky and went back to Paul, and Spooky, and Mr. Grumpy (didn't like those at all). Finally converted most of my canti bikes to vbrakes. I think my unicorn Master CX still has Spooky brakes...just couldn't put vbrakes on that one. Ernesto would not approve.

fignon's barber
06-17-2020, 10:12 AM
I think you can get by with almost any canti. I used a pair of cheapo Avid shorty's with campy, and it worked fine.

Hindmost
06-17-2020, 10:31 AM
Agreed. I’ve never seen anything quite like it. It seems stock vanished from every seller almost overnight. I really regret not buying a pair in black and in silver. I don’t recall what I paid, but I recall it being a bargain.

I think there are only offered for two years as part of their CX product line. They were manufactured by Tektro.

thirdgenbird
06-17-2020, 10:40 AM
I think there are only offered for two years as part of their CX product line. They were manufactured by Tektro.

Yes, it was pretty short. I though maybe three years. They are tektro produced like the centaur to chorus brakes. It’s just normal that discontinued bits hang around for a while at the retail level. You can still find new mirage, veloce, and centaur 10 items. These brakes disappeared about as quickly as they arrived. I assume they were produced in pretty low numbers.

thwart
06-17-2020, 11:32 AM
Paul Mini-Motos here too

Cable pull issues make this less than ideal with my Campy 11 recent build, at least IMO. Super braking power, though. So I'm happy with the end result, even in spite of the hassle.

I did a hybrid of TRP cantis in the rear and Mini-Motos up front. The rear set up was super easy by comparison. And yes, I will wrap the bars eventually... :rolleyes:

Sorry about size of this image...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxfmw1pf1auzued/IMG_1820.JPG?raw=1

FWIW I have the Campy CX cantis on another bike, currently set up with the red Kool-Stop pads, after using the stock pads for a season. I do like these brakes, but the stopping power does not match the setup above.

That bike is running 10 spd ergos.

jtbadge
06-17-2020, 11:35 AM
If you find dual MiniMotos too grabby, the mullet setup is great. Paul Touring Canti in the rear is the classic pairing.

Brian Cdn
06-17-2020, 04:27 PM
Avid Shortys. Been using them with Campy 11 shifters for years. Stops just fine.

colker
06-17-2020, 08:57 PM
A good cantilever brake is a well adjusted cantilever brake. There is the old geometry, high profile, and new geo low profile. Both need experience in set up. Both are good.

There is only a few v brakes you can use w/ road levers: Paul´s minimotos and a couple other mini vees. They are easier to adjust than cantis.

jpsawyer23
06-19-2020, 06:46 AM

I remember staring at them on QBP for months contemplating buying them with almost no change in the inventory numbers. When I finally decided to buy them they were inexplicably out of stock and I couldnt find them anywhere. Ebay or the likes. I really regret not buying them. I also remember them being fairly inexpensive.

fredd
09-18-2022, 10:29 AM
*About mini motos*

Cable pull issues make this less than ideal with my Campy 11 recent build, at least IMO. Super braking power, though. So I'm happy with the end result, even in spite of the hassle.

Reviving this thread to ask about campy 11 levers and mini motos. Planning on running this on the front for CX. I see that paul don’t recommend it. Will this be an issue with mud in the equation? Should I run shimano shifters?

thwart
09-18-2022, 11:47 AM
*About mini motos*
Reviving this thread to ask about campy 11 levers and mini motos. Planning on running this on the front for CX. I see that paul don’t recommend it. Will this be an issue with mud in the equation? Should I run shimano shifters?

After messing around with different pads and toe-in, I finally have a very strong and squeal-free front brake on the Goodrich. However there is only 2 mm or so of clearance from toe’d-in brake pad to rim. So it works well with my all-road use of this steel frame and fork bike with nice ‘n true rims. Muddy CX course, or a broken spoke… maybe not so much.

Certainly possible that a carbon fork would allow less toe-in and more clearance.

Would this be improved with a (slightly) longer cable pull lever like Shimano? Don’t know, haven’t tried.

wombatspeed
09-18-2022, 11:49 AM
My experience from Running 11speed style Campy levers:
1. For ultimate brake power, a miniV with shortish arms, like the 8.4
2. For CX Racing: avid ultimate. MUCH better modulation which is really good to have when the course gets sketchy. And the braking power is still more than enough.

Pick your poison!