PDA

View Full Version : "Fanny" packs?

Dromen
06-14-2020, 04:12 PM
Any recommendations/thoughts on these for hauling stuff/hydration on long rides?

Finding my rides are getting longer and more unsupported. Usually load up with as many bottles as bike can handle and load up a backpack with hydration reservoir and supplies in remaining space. Problem - as temps rise in the midwest the load covering my back seems to restrict most of the ventilation of body heat, or at least seems so.

Thinking if i can get the luggage off my back the problem will at minimum be reduced.

Thoughts? Is this a viable option for carrying stuff, extra bottle(s), smallish reservoir, etc?

scoobydrew
06-14-2020, 04:20 PM
Dakine Hot Laps 5L
evoc Hip Pack Pro or Race
Osprey Seral

Plus many more. Ton of options depending on whether you need/want a hydration bladder.

"Hip packs" have been been a thing in the MTB world. Older full suspension frames didn't have water bottle mounts at all or not enough. Additionally, for shorter rides some riders don't feel the need to carry a full-on backpack.

Since my frame already has a water bottle mount, I usually carry the smaller Dakine Hot Laps 2L that actually has a loop for a spare bottle. It has enough space to stash spares, tools, food, phone, keys, wallet, etc.

Edit: Check out this page that compares a bunch of different options https://enduro-mtb.com/en/the-best-mtb-hip-pack/

mwynne
06-14-2020, 04:25 PM
Depending on frame space, I wonder if a frame bag might be worth looking into? I reckon you could fit a good sized hydration bladder in there.

Ken Robb
06-14-2020, 04:32 PM
I prefer letting my bike carry stuff than me carrying stuff on my person so I choose a saddlebag of the appropriate size for the day's ride from my collection. I also bought a handlebar bag that came with elastic cords that hook onto the front skewers to keep the bag from swinging. It fits great but I never really used it because I have a smaller bag that can be used on the saddle or strapped to the bars and THAT combined with one of my saddlebags was all the capacity I ever needed.

eBAUMANN
06-14-2020, 04:49 PM
For...road riding?

A frame bag would be a good way to go...one 3L bladder = around 4 big bottles.

Or you could use strap on mounts (TwoFish) to add cages to your fork blades.

I personally hate carrying anything on my back unless I absolutely have to. Even jersey pockets full of stuff bother me these days. If you can strap it to your bike, do it!

CMiller
06-14-2020, 04:59 PM
I really really love fanny packs when mountain biking. I imagine less comfortable on an aggressive drop bar position but most of my bikes are upright as it is.

charliedid
06-14-2020, 05:07 PM
What about one or two of these?

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/layouts/revelate/files/store/productphotos/504eb67c-da2c-433b-ac90-dc3ede421f47.jpg

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/cockpit/MountainFeedbag

Peter P.
06-14-2020, 08:16 PM
I used to use a fanny pack, but I didn't care much for the wide waist strap, and the pack would tend to list to one side.

I've since switched to a Camelbak and while it's a little less convenient to don and doff, it solves both problems and carries more. If cooling is a problem, you could try placing the bladder in the fridge or filling with ice cubes pre-ride. I don't care much for the bladders because cleaning is a pain, so I just pack the Camelbak with extra waterbottles when needed.

The surface of their packs are designed to channel air across your back.

I'd check out Camelbak's offerings; some of the models are more like lumbar packs, exposing more upper back if cooling is truly a problem.

Another solution are those tubular, "Tootsie Roll" style handlebar bags which are popular now.

p nut
06-14-2020, 09:16 PM
The MTB and commute crowd has liked Wingnut packs.

https://www.wingnutgear.com/

But like others have said, there are much better ways to carry water.
In addition to what’s been mentioned:
33oz Zefal magnum bottles
Seat post cage mount
Stem cap cage mount

Dromen
06-15-2020, 08:49 AM
C,
You know where i gravel ride, secure?

What about one or two of these?

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/layouts/revelate/files/store/productphotos/504eb67c-da2c-433b-ac90-dc3ede421f47.jpg

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/cockpit/MountainFeedbag

Dromen
06-15-2020, 08:50 AM
Gravel/Road. Definitely ride in drops a lot. Worried about waist band when not upright.

For...road riding?

A frame bag would be a good way to go...one 3L bladder = around 4 big bottles.

Or you could use strap on mounts (TwoFish) to add cages to your fork blades.

I personally hate carrying anything on my back unless I absolutely have to. Even jersey pockets full of stuff bother me these days. If you can strap it to your bike, do it!

Dromen
06-15-2020, 08:56 AM
Hmmm....Have a Revelate Pika seat post bag that would fit at least 2 probably 3 bottles. Only thing missing but not end of world stuff is reservoir delivery hose as most riding is on gravel where 2 hands required. Reservoir hose promotes hydration, bottles tend to be a bit forgotten when one handing isnt safe. Gunna be my first experiment this weekend since purchase not required.

Thx.

I prefer letting my bike carry stuff than me carrying stuff on my person so I choose a saddlebag of the appropriate size for the day's ride from my collection. I also bought a handlebar bag that came with elastic cords that hook onto the front skewers to keep the bag from swinging. It fits great but I never really used it because I have a smaller bag that can be used on the saddle or strapped to the bars and THAT combined with one of my saddlebags was all the capacity I ever needed.

Dromen
06-15-2020, 12:16 PM
So, saddle bag easily holds 2L reservoir or 2 bottles + way more extra space to carry supplies which backpack didnt with full rez. Heck, 5L reservoir or 5 bottles would fit. With a little more focus on opportunistic bottle drinking(nutrition in bottles too), should be a winner.

Oh yeah, the Pika w/ rez is 100g lighter than backpack so i will be speedier too! :):):)

10hr-ish ride planned for Father's Day, will report back in after testing.

Hmmm....Have a Revelate Pika seat post bag that would fit at least 2 probably 3 bottles. Only thing missing but not end of world stuff is reservoir delivery hose as most riding is on gravel where 2 hands required. Reservoir hose promotes hydration, bottles tend to be a bit forgotten when one handing isnt safe. Gunna be my first experiment this weekend since purchase not required.

Thx.

charliedid
06-15-2020, 05:37 PM
C,
You know where i gravel ride, secure?

Rock solid, it attaches at 3 points. I've used it on really bumpy trails with zero problems.

AngryScientist
06-15-2020, 05:43 PM
i do not see how a fanny pack would play well with rear jersey pockets?

for me:

i'm using a small bikepacking style saddle bag for unsupported hot rides. I stuff one of the bigger nalgene bottles in here, cinch down the straps tight and it's rock solid. holds my lunch too!

that said, my next bike will have bottle cage bosses on the fork legs to be loaded with anything cages and nalgene bottle strapped to the fork. seems like a good place to put extra water.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WLQq0N84Xss/Xr2PgvRY2QI/AAAAAAAADws/eCDPqpNBFYIg98VUL7vJLDUN5skUqsCQwCLcBGAsYHQ/s1200/IMG_5450.jpg

Macadamia
06-15-2020, 07:54 PM
I think some touring people put a reservoir in their frame triangle bag, not sure on the size.

froze
06-15-2020, 10:10 PM
fanny packs are great, you put hard stuff in it and pedal away...until you have an accident and the crash makes you land hard on that fanny pack which then damages whatever part of the body that thing was against.

I knew a rider that put a mini pump in his rear jersey pocket, had an accident, and yup, fusion time.

Going further back into time another cycling buddy was wearing cassette Walkman on his side, crashed, and the Walkman severely damaged his kidney.

I knew another cyclist that wore a cross all the time around his neck, one day he had a crash for some unexplained reason that cross dove into his neck burying itself right up to the ring that the chain was fastened to, this cross was about an inch and half long, and it missed his artery by about a 1/2 an inch.

I don't put anything hard in places close to my body.