PDA

View Full Version : Days in a row on a bike?

NHAero
06-14-2020, 02:52 PM
What's your longest streak? I wasn't thinking about it, since in New England there are definitely weather days one may wish to stay inside on, but I'm up to 44 days right now and curious how long I can keep it going.

AngryScientist
06-14-2020, 02:54 PM
that's really impressive.
life always intervenes for me, i can never get past a small handfull of consecutive days. 44 days is strong work.

weather has certainly been super cooperative!

charliedid
06-14-2020, 03:00 PM
366 in about 1993

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biker72
06-14-2020, 03:00 PM
WOW!!! 44 days.
I do keep records of my rides and the longest consecutive run is just 12 days. Some of those days were somewhat shorter rides too.

donevwil
06-14-2020, 03:08 PM
44 days is incredible, I need such life balance.

My longest was 35 days shortly after starting to race in '91. Single, sharing a house on an OC beach with 2 others (cheap living then), got laid off and happily living on unemployment. What a wonderful time. All spoiled when my previous employer threatened to report me to the EDD if I didn't come back to work (I'd said no twice).

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Blue Jays
06-14-2020, 03:54 PM
That is awesome, @NHAero! It has been ages since I kept such detailed records.
It does give me a good idea to go for a 30-day attempt, even if it requires indoor time.
Good for you. Great idea for an inspirational Paceline thread.

prototoast
06-14-2020, 04:18 PM
I'm not sure what my record is. I try to ride, even a short ride, every day, though I typically take a day off every two weeks or so. I'm on a 9 day streak now, and last month I did 23 days in a row--but all this is just what comes naturally, I've never aimed for a ride streak.

Seramount
06-14-2020, 04:21 PM
rode 341 days last year.

longest consecutive streak was 78...

73 of those were 30-46 miles in distance.

charliedid
06-14-2020, 04:35 PM
366 in about 1993

Technically I guess it was 93-94 since it was new years day to new years day.

David in Maine
06-14-2020, 04:56 PM
I averaged 70 miles a day for 62 days when I toured across the US in 1993. I think I also commuted to work every day for one school year, but it was only a 5 or 6 miles round trip, and I'm sure I took some weekends off. It was in Massachusetts, so I plowed through some rough weather.

David

NHAero
06-14-2020, 05:05 PM
I knew there would be some real standouts here.

Every day for a year! In Chicago? Impressive!
And in Austin - I imagine some days you got up and out pretty early in the day?

I bought a used Wahoo Elemnt here last October so now I have it on each ride, no matter how short. And some days are short - I may have ridden to my friend's house down the street, or to the PO, or bank, or to work. Average miles/day over that 44 days is just 25.6. Living on an island makes it easier to have a bicycle lifestyle, where the car sits for days at a time, and I have way more miles on bikes than in motor vehicles. When we last went to use the truck to go to the transfer station, the battery was dead :)

charliedid
06-14-2020, 05:11 PM
I knew there would be some real standouts here.

Every day for a year! In Chicago? Impressive!

I bought a used Wahoo Elemnt here last October so now I have it on each ride, no matter how short. And some days are short - I may have ridden to my friend's house down the street, or to the PO, or bank, or to work. Average miles/day over that 44 days is just 25.6. Living on an island makes it easier to have a bicycle lifestyle, where the car sits for days at a time, and I have way more miles on bikes than in motor vehicles. When we last went to use the truck to go to the transfer station, the battery was dead :)

Yeah it's only impressive because of the weather not the total mileage but it did happen. It started after I came back from a 12 month trip over seas and it was to initially be "ride to work every day regardless of the weather" and my girlfriend decided that every day for a year was more impressive. 15 miles was the minimum and there were many 15 mile days in there.

Seramount
06-14-2020, 05:22 PM

um, not really...

a) srsly not into getting up when it's still dark

b) actually don't mind the heat...will take sweating over shivering any day

NHAero
06-14-2020, 05:30 PM
Got it, northerner here :)

um, not really...

a) srsly not into getting up when it's still dark

b) actually don't mind the heat...will take sweating over shivering any day

merlinmurph
06-14-2020, 05:45 PM
At 66, I need a break. 5 days a week is good for me. Sometimes, I look forward to a rainy day (sorry).

When I rediscovered my bike in the late 80's, I would get in about 14 straight days before weather or a hike or something broke the short streak.

Good for you guys getting those days in.

Tickdoc
06-14-2020, 06:49 PM
So jelly. I had a great little consecutive run during my two week quarantine and another two weeks of limited to emergency only and basically no work.

Best march ever!

Now it’s back to the grind and I’m just too tired after a hard days work half of the time.

mcfarton
06-14-2020, 07:11 PM
I aim to ride/run 6 days a week. I try to split it 3/3. I take a day each week for recovery. I should probably start mixing in more core work and give my legs another day off. I go with the same theory as weight lifters. You can’t do the same muscles everyday and expect to get stronger.

NHAero
07-21-2020, 07:11 AM
Reached 80 days yesterday. Some days are really short - it was really sticky and hot end of day yesterday, just did 40 minutes in the State Forest on the Pivot. I'm shooting for August 9th as 100 days, and if I make it I'll be giving it a rest shortly afterwards, as I have a work trip of the island on the 18th where I'll be leaving at 6 am and back at 11 pm. Sure, I could throw a bike in the car and ride somewhere to say I did, but end of August is our week in the NH White Mtns and won't be riding then (hard to ride after a day hiking the Presidentials for this old body :)

Waldo62
07-21-2020, 02:19 PM
321. I wanted to go a year. On day 322, I came home from a night out with my wife at 11:15 and was going to get on the trainer for half an hour (my minimum ride during the streak), when I realized that if I did that I wouldn't get up to meet friends for our 6:00 am ride the next morning. Being with them was more important than keeping the streak alive, so I skipped the trainer session and had a great ride with my buds next morning. I never regretted letting go of the streak.

bigbill
07-21-2020, 02:44 PM
2013-2018, I did "every day in May". Outside rides only, no trainer time. I was lucky to have a rail-trail behind my neighborhood so I could still ride in inclement weather. In 2016, got hailed on twice. I'd normally finish up with around 1000 miles.

PaMtbRider
07-21-2020, 02:55 PM
This became a thing with a local cycling friend. It started out as a "can you ride your bike every day for a month". It kept evolving till he had over 1000 days straight. For him, the ride had to be outside and at least 5 miles.

To me this seemed like a great way to ruin a sport / hobby I enjoy. I love riding my bike, till I don't.

Riding in snow storms, 100 degree plus heat, torrential rains, gives me no pleasure. If I am on a tour and the weather turns sour, I will suck it up and make the best of it. If I'm at home and can't enjoy a ride due to health, weather, or simply just burnt out, I'm going to enjoy my time doing something else.

In recent years I probably don't have many continuous riding day streaks that reach into the double digits. For lifetime bragging rights, I did ride cross country, self supported, and averaged just over 100 miles a day for 34 days straight.

NHAero
07-21-2020, 04:25 PM
So far no days with awful weather, and that's the luck of the draw. One day we got 4 inches of rain, but it was in the forecast so I got out early. And no trainer miles here.

No bragging rights at all, just a silly thing I'm doing!

This became a thing with a local cycling friend. It started out as a "can you ride your bike every day for a month". It kept evolving till he had over 1000 days straight. For him, the ride had to be outside and at least 5 miles.

To me this seemed like a great way to ruin a sport / hobby I enjoy. I love riding my bike, till I don't.

Riding in snow storms, 100 degree plus heat, torrential rains, gives me no pleasure. If I am on a tour and the weather turns sour, I will suck it up and make the best of it. If I'm at home and can't enjoy a ride due to health, weather, or simply just burnt out, I'm going to enjoy my time doing something else.

In recent years I probably don't have many continuous riding day streaks that reach into the double digits. For lifetime bragging rights, I did ride cross country, self supported, and averaged just over 100 miles a day for 34 days straight.

tbike4
07-21-2020, 05:20 PM
I am at 46 days today. Missed 2 days in early June from weather. I DO NOT like riding in the wet. I plan to go every day in July so 56 hopefully. Only do long rides on weekends with a group so monthly milage is not huge. 675-750 miles. Can only do this since I have been working from home. Go out during the week by 6:30 and do a solo of 20-25 to be ready for texting/ Whatsapp by 8:30.

Some of you guys have incredible streaks. Holy cow.

osbk67
07-22-2020, 02:36 AM
Streaks are big in the distance running community, both for consecutive days running and same event every year. Champion English marathoner Ron Hill got to around 45 years without missing a day. Qualification varies, but often a minimum of 3 miles/5km, sometimes just one mile, and outside only to count.

A good friend of mine, very competitive club runner with some decent PBs, has run the same half marathon every year for about 35 years, and got to a 500-day streak a few years back. Was never the same again.

Anecdotally the runners with the longest careers are often those who take complete breaks between seasons and don't train injured. To each their own, but I'd sooner do one different event each year than the same one every year.

mokofoko
07-22-2020, 08:05 AM
So far I'm at roughly 70 uninterrupted days of at least 20 miles outdoors. If not for about 24 hours where I was driving, the tally would be at least 6 months for me. Lots of time for me to bike now thanks to covid-19...

At this point I'm kind of just trying to see how many days I can go before I start feeling pain and find myself unable to ride.

NHAero
07-22-2020, 09:12 AM
My 'streak' is definitely abled by COVID19.
That's amazing about Ron Hill!

bicycletricycle
07-22-2020, 09:38 AM
if commuting counts than I am sure I have done at least a year straight. no car.

jimoots
07-23-2020, 05:42 AM
I try ride 13 out of every 14 days.

SlowPokePete
07-23-2020, 06:23 AM
Well I'm riding less now that I gotta climb 125' per mile...seems like I need a day off in between very ride lol!

SPP

SlowPokePete
07-23-2020, 06:23 AM
And no trainer miles here.
!

^like^

SPP

Robot870
07-23-2020, 08:57 AM
Between commuting and riding for sport on the weekends its 7 days a week now for the last 2 years......A few days off here and there for horrible weather (weekends only) but its a non stop bike life!

Keith A
07-23-2020, 01:02 PM
Thread drift ahead...

How about the most number of days surfing? This guy surfed every day by catching at least 3 waves each of those days for 14,641 consecutive days :eek:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_Webster#:~:text=Dale%20Webster%2C%20known%20a s%20%22The,appearance%20in%20Step%20into%20Liquid
https://www.surfer.com/features/everyday-dale-ends-his-streak/

NHAero
08-09-2020, 12:42 PM
100th day today - 2,078 miles during that span. Won't be much longer, as I have a work related trip soon during which it's very unlikely I can squeeze in a ride. Then shortly afterwards our annual hiking trip in the White Mountains. It's been a lot of fun. There have been a scant handful of days where I didn't feel like going out, but once on a bike was 100% glad I did. So perhaps that's been the biggest benefit of the streak.