PDA

View Full Version : Helmet buying in age of Covid

buddybikes
06-14-2020, 02:43 PM
I have an original specialized prevail that just fits. I bought a new one same size number of years later (my parrot chewed bit of the front..) however the new one just doesn't fit my head shape. I have tried padding it, but not as good as the same size older one. I am in need of something now, but how do I go about doing it, shops probably won't want me sitting their trying everything on. Even the newer one is old (2012 stamp on it).

thx

AngryScientist
06-14-2020, 02:47 PM
i think you just roll the dice and take your chances, purchasing from a place with a good return policy. i would use competitive cyclist, maybe give them a call, most of the time i have called the person answering the phone was pretty cycling knowledgeable. let them make a suggestion based on what you can describe to them and budget, and return it and try again if it doesnt work out.

NHAero
06-14-2020, 02:50 PM
+1 on this. I ended up with a POC Octal Spin after ordering three helmets from CC and sending two back. This was before COVID19, so check their current policy, but they were great about it.

i think you just roll the dice and take your chances, purchasing from a place with a good return policy. i would use competitive cyclist, maybe give them a call, most of the time i have called the person answering the phone was pretty cycling knowledgeable. let them make a suggestion based on what you can describe to them and budget, and return it and try again if it doesnt work out.

Peter P.
06-14-2020, 03:02 PM
Just check your local bike shop's policy before you visit.

Your local shop should be adhering to whatever policy your state has implemented, so you could check your state's Covid policy. Most states have a Covid associated web site with all the relevant information.

Tying this in to helmets, be sure and try on your helmet both without and WITH a balaclava, if you have need to wear one. You'd be surprised when you discover your helmet is uncomfortably tight on winter rides.

Ask me how I know...

Tickdoc
06-14-2020, 03:41 PM
Just did this with my local shop...ordered a lazer that was too big, so they ordered a smaller one and except for the longish wait all is good. They took the unworn big one back no questions asked.

Blue Jays
06-14-2020, 03:50 PM
Go to bicycle shop that carries your preferred helmet brand. Wear a mask.
Put a new plastic bag on your head (not ALL the way, silly!) and try it on.
Alternately, see if you can find a NOS helmet that you know works for you and buy it.

:banana:

kramnnim
06-14-2020, 04:09 PM
What kind of parrot?

buddybikes
06-14-2020, 04:18 PM
Male Eclectus (we lost his wife 3 years ago) he is now 22

sw3759
06-14-2020, 04:48 PM
thats a hilarious story,having to replace a helmet because your Parrot ate your old one.certainly beats a crash replacement.beautiful Parrot btw..but now we have to know his name?

buddybikes
06-14-2020, 06:37 PM
thats a hilarious story,having to replace a helmet because your Parrot ate your old one.certainly beats a crash replacement.beautiful Parrot btw..but now we have to know his name?1698002034

Buddy

otherwise known as Budster, Bud Man. Back in the day, a flying 2 year old.

Here was him with his wife Ruby we lost in 2017

Peter P.
06-14-2020, 08:05 PM
Maybe Buddy was courting your helmet?

AngryScientist
06-14-2020, 08:09 PM
i really dont know anything about birds, but i will say, those are really beautiful creatures. very cool and thanks for sharing the pics.

i'm getting a very margaritaville vibe over here.