PDA

View Full Version : Bang for the buck 149/160 brake rotors?

Nomadmax
06-14-2020, 02:34 PM
OP is building me a set of light disc wheels, lighter than I have now anyway. All I'll need when they arrive is a set of rotors 140mm and 160mm that are center lock compatible.

The whole idea was to get the wheel weight down but I don't want something super-light that's fragile; all I wanna do it ride them. For sure, I don't want something that's so light that it'll need to be replaced because of durability issues.

Any ideas?

Talk about a question I NEVER thought I'd ask.

scoobydrew
06-14-2020, 02:50 PM
Shimano RT800 (Ultegra) or RT900 (Dura-Ace) rotors. The Shimano MTB Ice-Tech rotors are also worth considering and typically cheaper.

eBAUMANN
06-14-2020, 02:50 PM
what kind of riding are you doing?
the big thing with rotors is heat dissipation, see: current shimano road offerings

if you anticipate riding long descents that will require heavy braking, it would be worth investing in some rotors than can handle that kind of abuse.

you are riding mostly flat terrain, it really doesnt matter much.

ive had good luck with shimano xt/xtr (or ultegra/DA), TRP, magura, and SRAM centerline offerings.

Nomadmax
06-14-2020, 02:56 PM
what kind of riding are you doing?
the big thing with rotors is heat dissipation, see: current shimano road offerings

if you anticipate riding long descents that will require heavy braking, it would be worth investing in some rotors than can handle that kind of abuse.

you are riding mostly flat terrain, it really doesnt matter much.

ive had good luck with shimano xt/xtr (or ultegra/DA), TRP, magura, and SRAM centerline offerings.

Riding the road in SW & SE Ohio. No mountains but we do have some good hills/descents and I am an aggressive descender.

Nomadmax
06-14-2020, 10:12 PM
Shimano Ultegra it is! Thanks all ;)