PDA

View Full Version : OT: who does this ?!?!?! (heads up manet)

Serpico
01-25-2007, 10:50 AM
New Jersey Cracks Down on Talking on a Cell Phone While Cycling

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) -- New Jersey may have unresolved problems with taxes, child welfare and gangs, but lawmakers are ready to crack down on one perceived danger: talking on a cell phone while riding a bike.

A legislative committee has approved a bill that would make it illegal for people to use a hand-held telephone while riding a bicycle on a public road. Hands-free devices would be allowed and lawbreakers would face fines ranging from $100 to $250.

Assemblyman Jon Bramnick, a bill sponsor, said the measure is meant to protect bicyclists and the people they may strike when riding and yakking at the same time.

``That is, in our judgment, a danger to pedestrians as well as to the bicyclists themselves, due to the fact that now they have one hand on the handlebars, they're talking to someone and they're on a public highway,'' said Bramnick, a Union County Republican.

The bill, among 6,928 introduced this session by New Jersey lawmakers, was given the nod Thursday by an Assembly public safety panel and now can be considered by the full Assembly. The Senate has taken no action on the idea.

Pete Garnich, owner of Knapp's Cyclery in Lawrence, said it's a waste of time.

His store takes people out on weekly group rides and Garnich said he can't recall anyone talking on a cell phone while riding a bike.

``I wouldn't say it's a problem,'' he said. ``You can't breathe and talk. It's absolutely ridiculous.''

In 2005, 784 people were killed, including 17 in New Jersey, and 45,000 were injured in bicycle crashes in the United States, accounting for 2 percent of traffic fatalities, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. An agency spokesman said no statistics are kept for crashes involving cell phones and bikes.

(While 25 percent of the nation's bicycle fatalities in 2005 involved alcohol, the state attorney general's office says it's not illegal to bike while drunk in New Jersey.)

Bramnick admitted he also has no data on injuries caused by distracted riders. He called the cell phone biking bill ``a common sense proposal'' based on observations he and others have made ``in the more densely populated communities.''

Not all legislators are eager to support the measure.

``As my father used to tell me, 'You can't legislate common sense,' and that's exactly what this bill tries to do, as the Legislature has already tried to do on so many other occasions,'' said Assemblyman Richard Merkt, R-Morris. ``Is anyone dumb enough to use a cell phone in a dangerous manner while riding a bicycle really going to be smart enough to know about or pay attention to some legislator's new law? Seems unlikely to me.''

It was unclear Friday when legislators might take more action on the bill, or when they would take up other proposals offered by lawmakers. Those include declaring September ``Handwashing Awareness Month,'' a plan languishing in an Assembly health committee.

manet
01-25-2007, 11:28 AM
successful cruising relies on a strong signal

oracle
01-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Pete Garnich, owner of Knapp's Cyclery in Lawrence, said it's a waste of time.

His store takes people out on weekly group rides and Garnich said he can't recall anyone talking on a cell phone while riding a bike.

``I wouldn't say it's a problem,'' he said. ``You can't breathe and talk. It's absolutely ridiculous.''

???

Kevan
01-25-2007, 11:41 AM
yes dear."

"About 12:30.."

"Sure... a gallon of milk...

and toilet paper... sure, how many rolls?"

"Dinner with the Smith's?...sounds good..

"Where we?...Oh....What time?"

Don't you just hate listening to this crap in a paceline?

Hardlyrob
01-25-2007, 11:53 AM
I can see it now - with the criteria outlined in this bill: "That is, in our judgment, a danger to pedestrians as well as to the bicyclists themselves, due to the fact that now they have one hand on the handlebars..."

DT shifters - Out! You could easily be distracted and hit a pedestrian while trimming that rear der.

Water bottles - Illegal! One hand, and when used in the fashion they are intended - often not fully looking at the road!

Just to be safe I'm taking the cages off my bikes and plugging the bosses so I won't be tempted to participate in unsafe cycling.

Powerbars - Outlawed! You try eating one without using a hand while riding.

Oh yeah - don't you need to breathe to be able to talk? I'm just sayin'

Rob

Too Tall
01-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Humor related to topic? ZNFNDL once used his cell phone to call his wife...while stoking my tandem! He did it just to hack off some other riders...knucklehead!

Maryland will enact a law prohibiting cell phone use w/o headset soon. GOOD! Isn't riding a bike subject to motor vehicle laws? Soooo, hate to sound uncreative and all but why not enforce MV laws for dorks who pull out cell phones on a bike?

Lincoln
01-25-2007, 12:32 PM
Knuckleheads.

As with cars, the issue is primarily one of distraction not coordination. The headset just makes it harder to predict which moron is about to cut you off.

Hang Up And Drive (Ride)

Serpico
01-25-2007, 03:14 PM

Those include declaring September "Handwashing Awareness Month,'' a plan languishing in an Assembly health committee.

no comment

Peter P.
01-25-2007, 10:13 PM
When they answer the phone, you attack.

It's that simple. Either they'll hang up or get dropped. Problem solved.

shinomaster
01-25-2007, 10:18 PM
One more reason to stay away from the Garden State.

fierte_poser
01-25-2007, 10:20 PM

Ummm.... uh.... maybe if I was the better rider. How embarrassing would it be to get dropped by the guy on the phone. :crap:

Grant McLean
01-25-2007, 10:33 PM
(While 25 percent of the nation's bicycle fatalities in 2005 involved alcohol, the state attorney general's office says it's not illegal to bike while drunk in New Jersey.)

why drive drunk when you can ride home p!ssed, legally! (?)

6,928 bills, and counting....

g

Elefantino
01-26-2007, 03:46 AM

Better yet, carry your cell phone, dial their number, then attack.

It'll work at least once.

1centaur
01-26-2007, 05:09 AM
"..25% of bicycle fatalities involved alcohol.."

Love the unquestioning reporter. Assumes it was the cyclist who imbibed. Like the police mantra after a car crash: "speed was involved." No duh, going zero miles per hour would make accidents while driving difficult.

Always watch out for the word, "involved," when reading crime statistics.

Fixed
01-26-2007, 08:33 AM
bro I'd be out of a job if i couldn't talk on the cell and ride ...track stand and talk on the phone is ok though .
cheers

R2D2
01-26-2007, 08:39 AM
I saw Lance do it.

catulle
01-26-2007, 08:49 AM
They're trying to ban smoke signals where I'm from, atmo... Last year they tried to ban drums but the monkeys protested and that was that... God please save me from the busybodies trying to save me... :butt:

zap
01-26-2007, 08:54 AM
New Jersey Cracks Down on Talking on a Cell Phone While Cycling

????

Every once in a while I close a deal while riding.

Surely there are more important issues to pursue than cyclists talking on the phone or waving good day or eating or reading a cue or wiping snot off their face while riding a bike.

Dorky Zap.

torquer
01-26-2007, 10:15 AM
A legislative committee has approved a bill that would make it illegal for people to use a hand-held telephone while riding a bicycle on a public road. Hands-free devices would be allowed and lawbreakers would face fines ranging from $100 to $250.

Assemblyman Jon Bramnick, a bill sponsor, said the measure is meant to protect bicyclists and the people they may strike when riding and yakking at the same time.

``That is, in our judgment, a danger to pedestrians as well as to the bicyclists themselves, due to the fact that now they have one hand on the handlebars, they're talking to someone and they're on a public highway,'' said Bramnick, a Union County Republican.

Are drivers allowed to use hand-helds?

If they are not, why is this law necessary? Aren't cyclists subject to the same laws as drivers (when they are on public roads)?

If drivers are allowed to yack-n-drive, then this law truly is outrageous.

I do like that that handwashing awareness initiative. Reminds me of a certain Seinfeld episode involving a pizza maker's bathroom habits.