PDA

View Full Version : OT: Covid - Got the bug

Duende
06-13-2020, 12:03 PM
Hey folks,

Been down for a few weeks. Got really sick. Flew to Tucson to check on my mom who has a heart condition... Somehow I end up getting sick and she's testing negative still (Thank god!).

It's been a rough ride, i unwittingly passed it to my brother who is now in the hospital. (For those who pray, we sure could use some more)

Please no judgements, we were very strict about maintaining our "bubble", but circumstance beyond our control put us in a compromised position.

Anyways, I'm letting you all know because recently I've been over-hearing friends and acquaintances nonchalantly make claims that they think they already had it.

Maybe they did already have it, but I seriously doubt it. What I do know for sure is this kind of speculation is reckless and dangerous.

I'm a very healthy individual, and this sickness took me down. I'm saying this not to incite fear. But as a plea that you all keep diligent with your social distancing practices for the safety of you and your loved ones.

This battle is not over...

Apologies if this is a hot topic... Just some caring advice from someone you all kind of know (albeit virtually).

colker
06-13-2020, 12:08 PM
It´s serious. Don´t ever doubt there is a horrible threat hanging above us.
You may have caught it on the plane ride since air conditioned atmospheres are the worst.

zmudshark
06-13-2020, 12:08 PM
How long after exposure did it take you to become ill? I'm asking because we just escaped Arizona a few days ago with my elderly in-laws in tow. It was the first time I had been around people since mid March. The airports were scary. I wore an N95 mask the entire time.

rallizes
06-13-2020, 12:11 PM
I am so sorry to hear this

Sending some good thoughts your way

texbike
06-13-2020, 12:13 PM
Hey folks,

Been down for a few weeks. Got really sick. Flew to Tucson to check on my mom who has a heart condition... Somehow I end up getting sick and she's testing negative still (Thank god!).

It's been a rough ride, i unwittingly passed it to my brother who is now in the hospital. (For those who pray, we sure could use some more)

Please no judgements, we were very strict about maintaining our "bubble", but circumstance beyond our control put us in a compromised position.

Anyways, I'm letting you all know because recently I've been over-hearing friends and acquaintances nonchalantly make claims that they think they already had it.

Maybe they did already have it, but I seriously doubt it. What I do know for sure is this kind of speculation is reckless and dangerous.

I'm a very healthy individual, and this sickness took me down. I'm saying this not to incite fear. But as a plea that you all keep diligent with your social distancing practices for the safety of you and your loved ones.

This battle is not over...

Apologies if this is a hot topic... Just some caring advice from someone you all kind of know (albeit virtually).

Man, I'm really sorry to hear that your family has been impacted. :( I hope that both you and your brother recover very quickly!

We're still social-distancing/isolating as much as possible, but there have been a couple of slip-ups recently. I had one this morning where I by nature shook the hand of someone that I had just met. They seemed healthy enough, but you don't know. It wasn't until after we shook that I thought - "Wow! Shouldn't have done that". Those small slip-ups like that make me nervous.

Again, I hope that you guys recover VERY quickly.

Texbike

makoti
06-13-2020, 12:14 PM
Not judging. We be as careful as we can, but at some point, you have to live your life.

Here's hoping all of you make full recoveries!

parris
06-13-2020, 12:15 PM
I've had several coworkers as well as a number of inmates that have had it. Two of my coworkers got zapped twice and it put them down hard.

What we've seen in the locations that are/were hot spots in our county were that more often than not it got introduced by contract traveling health care workers that ended up working after contracting it and bringing it into various facilities. That's how it got into our facility AND also the county nursing home.

Hope you and your family come through it.

I've gotten several calls from the county health department informing me that I'd been exposed on multiple occasions. I know/knew when and who exposed me as do coworkers so the call was them checking a box. They told me to self quarantine for the 2 weeks when not at work due to me being an essential worker. ALL of us that have gotten those calls have shaken our collective heads at things.

robt57
06-13-2020, 12:15 PM
You can only be so lucky in a way as far not getting infected. And getting over it even more luck hopefully is possible.

T&P for your brothers recovery!!!

Duende
06-13-2020, 12:17 PM
How long after exposure did it take you to become ill? I'm asking because we just escaped Arizona a few days ago with my elderly in-laws in tow. It was the first time I had been around people since mid March. The airports were scary. I wore an N95 mask the entire time.

I believe I caught it here in AZ, and not on the flight. I started developing symptoms after I had already been here a week. My brother (who did not fly) developed symptoms just a few days after that.

Everyone else I had contact (w/social distancing) with before that has tested negative.

akelman
06-13-2020, 12:27 PM
Whatever the circumstances, however it happened that you got sick, sending you and yours best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery. This is a terrible moment, and, no matter how much magical thinking we see around us, I fear it's not yet close to over. I expect that hundreds of thousands of people are going to be joining you in the coming months. Again, I hope you and yours get well soon.

Spinner
06-13-2020, 12:46 PM
Very sorry to read about the plight of you and your brother; all the best to you both.

So may across the country are not taking the pandemic seriously. They are being selfish and immature as they claim of being denied their rights.

Good health and safety to all Paceliners.

Duende
06-13-2020, 12:49 PM
Thanks for all the kind words everyone. It REALLY means a lot.

It was important to me to share, and perhaps in doing so, be a gentle reminder to everyone to keep diligent.

fignon's barber
06-13-2020, 01:04 PM
Best wishes for a quick recovery. You could have picked it up anytime within about 2 weeks of showing symptoms. Don't worry about how you got it, just spend your mental energy on getting better and being positive.

smellymcfatfats
06-13-2020, 01:05 PM
Good luck stranger! I've been reading about positive case spikes happening all over the U.S. since things started "reopening". It's really sad, wish you and yours a speedy recovery.

dbnm
06-13-2020, 01:09 PM
I wish you and your family a quick recovery.

We've been extremely careful and have just started to expand our circle and I am being very cautious about it. Very select people who have kept themselves locked up and away from others.

Be well!

merlinmurph
06-13-2020, 01:10 PM
Good luck to you and your family. We all try our best to distance, now do what you can to fight it.

Good luck!

charliedid
06-13-2020, 01:15 PM
Glad to hear you are okay. I have been chatting this morning with my wife about metrics for re-opening etc. Neither of us feels anyone knows enough and that we both feel it's too soon to venture out for anything but essentials. I'm looking out my window at all the people eating lunch outside at a local spot thinking...nope.

Everyone makes their decisions and I understand the need to open places or they just die out but the next 30 days are going to be rather insightful IMO

Be safe all.

Edit: Also I live in a pretty dense urban neighborhood with a ton of care centers and nursing homes with a fair amount of elderly in regular housing as well. I hear the low drone sirens every day. Every damn day and just a few minutes ago. Def. not out of the woods yet.

Clancy
06-13-2020, 01:22 PM
I am going in for outpatient surgery Tuesday for a torn rotator cuff. Part of the labs was getting a COVID test which was negative. We’ve been continuing to act as if on lockdown with the exception of this surgery. I feel comfortable going into it as so many precautions are in place and I’m blessed to have a wife who’s an ER nurse.

Thanks for the timely and important message and thoughts and prayers for you and your brother to have a quick recovery.

To everyone else also please be careful

OtayBW
06-13-2020, 01:23 PM
Sorry you got ill, and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Just curious though: How crowded was your flight(s)? I know you mentioned that you did not believe you got it from the airline, but as someone who is watching and waiting until I think it's safe to go back and fly again, I'm curious about the conditions you experienced.
Thanks!

72gmc
06-13-2020, 01:23 PM
Good thoughts to you and your family. Trying to maintain a minimum of external contacts around here. Hard to see people struggling with all of the challenges this pandemic is creating.

Duende
06-13-2020, 01:38 PM
Sorry you got ill, and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Just curious though: How crowded was your flight(s)? I know you mentioned that you did not believe you got it from the airline, but as someone who is watching and waiting until I think it's safe to go back and fly again, I'm curious about the conditions you experienced.
Thanks!

The flight was full, but with the restricted seating that's actually not very many people.

I flew United, and they seemed to be following strict protocols, although I can't say if they cleaned the plane before I got on.

One strange thing though, was that despite both the airport and United airlines stating that it was mandatory for everyone to wear face protection... there were still some individuals who insisted on not wearing masks who were on my flight.

OtayBW
06-13-2020, 02:26 PM
The flight was full, but with the restricted seating that's actually not very many people.

I flew United, and they seemed to be following strict protocols, although I can't say if they cleaned the plane before I got on.

One strange thing though, was that despite both the airport and United airlines stating that it was mandatory for everyone to wear face protection... there were still some individuals who insisted on not wearing masks who were on my flight.Interesting. I guess restricted seating, but full means all but middle seats were taken. And yes - apparently it's policy/mandatory to wear masks, but not enforced. I don't believe I'm ready to start flying just yet.

Thanks for the info, and take care if yourself.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

jimcav
06-13-2020, 02:35 PM
I just went there for 2 days to ride Sedona and Flagstaff. I stopped only for gas at the pump. I stayed in flagstaff 2 nights, and while there got take out. I crossed streets, etc when picking up food--no sense being near anyone if I can avoid it.

I saw only 3 hikers in Sedona, moved well off the trail for them; and maybe passed or was passed by 4 people total on the bike in Flagstaff. Nice to have such awesome and long trails with so few on them.

It was however disturbing to see how many on the streets, waiting outside areas for food, and waiting INSIDE restaurants did not have masks. Indoor seating was occurring in several restaurants, with spacing between tables, but still--it is a closed atmosphere. All the servers/cashiers had masks, but obviously none of the diners.

As the experts say, the masks mainly helps to protect others, but for the wearer it just gives you maybe some additional protection/time against breathing in the infectious dose of virus.

At a tiny bagel place guys came in to order/pick-up without masks. No surprise the cases are increasing in AZ. There are far too many not taking it seriously, with no regard to where they (even if they don't get very sick) may spread it, nor to the risk they pose to those working in masks.

I really hope your brother recovers fully, and fast.

I hope you too are fully recovered soon.

Dino Suegiù
06-13-2020, 02:46 PM
@ Duende:
I am so unclear regarding what is happening generally and furthermore in Arizona specifically, why there so elevated, but regardless:
a sincere "Get Well Soon" to you and yours.

Such scary times, including now the casual reduction of vigilance, conduct which is truly baffling when we see the factual numbers unequivocally proving that if anything more vigilance and care would be clearly be beneficial to all.

Peter P.
06-13-2020, 03:02 PM
So may across the country are not taking the pandemic seriously. They are being selfish and immature as they claim of being denied their rights.

I was in the big box hardware store today and counted six people not wearing masks. One woman had her nose exposed.

Then I went to the supermarket and saw one person without a mask.

At the park this morning (see my blog address below) I saw people gathering for an impromptu car show (tricked out Subaru's or Mazda's so something similar). They were all without masks and not practicing social distancing. I'd guess the group was still forming but there were at least 30 people gathering.

Our local high schools held their graduations yesterday. Even though people were supposed to follow the typical Covid rules, photos in the newspaper showed many people hugging and posing for group photos without masks.

My buddy crashed and broke his pelvis several weeks ago. After the doctor gave him clearance to get on a trainer, I lent him mine. Once a week, I would bring my rollers over and, while maintaining social distancing outside, I would ease his boredom and we would "train" together in his driveway. Yesterday he was cleared to ride on the road (he had already sneaked in a 4 mile road ride prior to the doc's O.K.!). Anyway, on the phone today I offered to join him on his next road ride. Later, I realized with my snot rockets and spitting, as well as the unpredictable social distances, that would not be a good thing. I'll be swearing off group rides until the CDC gives the green light.

The Associated Press reports there has been a rise in the number of reported cases in 1/2 of our states, "a trend experts attributed in part to the gradual reopening of businesses over the past few weeks."

teleguy57
06-13-2020, 03:10 PM
First, best wishes and prayers for a good recovery and safety for those still negative.

I'm amazed here in my part of WI how many people are unmasked (not in political sense:)). My wife and I are being as careful as we can be, but it is very clear not all are taking the same point of view.

weaponsgrade
06-13-2020, 03:12 PM
Wishing you a speedy recovery

Hawker
06-13-2020, 03:28 PM
Duende,
Very sorry friend that you've had this but trust you are totally on the mend. None the less...you have my prayers for yourself and your family. When you're able....go for a ride!!

paredown
06-13-2020, 04:37 PM
Duende--best to you and your brother--hope you both continue to recover quickly.

I've read more than my share of articles--punchline--'This is not the 'flu'--I'm erring on the side of caution for the foreseeable future...

joosttx
06-13-2020, 04:58 PM
So sorry to read this. I am happy that your recovered and hopefully your brother will too. Do you have any residual side effects?

AngryScientist
06-13-2020, 05:02 PM
Duende, so sorry to hear. Sincerely wishing for a full recovery for you and your family.

I don't think we need to get into another Covid discussion here on the forum just yet though.

Thanks for checking in and the reminders.

Cheers, be well!