PDA

View Full Version : Planning ahead: Help me find my next SS winter bike. Now with discs!

Gummee
06-12-2020, 10:00 PM
In the ongoing move to 'all discs, all the time' in the garage, I'm planning on the next SS bike.

...but which frame?!

Big-ish tires and fenders are key. 28s are fine with fenders.

I like the looks of both the London Road and the Kinesis 4S. AL is good. I'd rather not ride a steel bike on wet, salty, slushy roads.

Other ideas?

Less expensive is better since it IS a winter bike

M

robt57
06-12-2020, 10:11 PM
Crockett Alloy, frames used are dirt.

thirdgenbird
06-12-2020, 10:15 PM
I bought this:
https://www.momentum-biking.com/us/ux-ss

It’s certainly budget, but it’s fun.

robt57
06-12-2020, 11:06 PM
Used Traitor Crusade or Transition Rapture [same things] are quite descent. I had flipped 2 last summer stealing the Hylex brake off them and still making a few dollars. Rode the Acid Green one quite a bit and like it a lot.

44mm headtube with 1-1/8 steel fork, so upgrade to a cheap used carbon tapered at some point nice option as well. Although I thought the matching acid green fork baller myself.

EDIT: Chromo DB frame/chromo Fork.

2metalhips
06-13-2020, 08:40 AM
Salsa Stormchaser

stephenmarklay
06-13-2020, 09:03 AM
This is right up my alley… I have been really enjoying my cheap SS lately.

But I have been eyeballing one that is lighter than the Hi-Ten frame it has :eek: Even so it’s a blast.

I had not heard of a couple of these so it is great to see some bikes I was unaware of.

JAGI410
06-13-2020, 09:13 AM
Salsa Stormchaser

This was my first thought as well. Hard to come by, but luckily there's a few months before it's needed.

gomango
06-13-2020, 10:44 AM
This was my first thought as well. Hard to come by, but luckily there's a few months before it's needed.

Yes, I have a friend that commutes on one. I have ridden it twice and I like it. The welds are a little on the cavemen side, but on a commuter I couldn't care less.

I just picked up an old Nature Boy from a former Fulton team member. That's what I'll ride. I ride GK SK's (700x32) on our cruddy St. Paul roads and they'll fit the Nature Boy just right.

robt57
06-13-2020, 11:05 AM
Also, used Traitor Reuben Disc worth a google...

Higher end than the ones I posted above. You'd need to build up a ENO for it though.