PDA

View Full Version : help me get the steel fork thing

soulspinner
01-25-2007, 05:47 AM
In dreaming up my next ride I spoke with a few builders who absolutely prefer steel forks on their steel frames. Mr kirk says he can tune that fork to my liking and the weight diff isnt that dramatic. My experience with steel forks(colnago and cracknfail) were that they did not ride as well as the Reynolds forks (Ouzo and Ouzo lite). What have I been missing?

atmo
01-25-2007, 06:13 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=16219

soulspinner
01-25-2007, 06:25 AM
:beer:

R2D2
01-25-2007, 06:43 AM
There's one thing that thread did not mention that gives steel fork/frame a distinct advantage in handling. The fork and frame can be cold set on an allignment table. If alignment is out on a CF fork or frame you're just stuck with it. And there are a lot of CF forks that are out of alignment coming off the mold. Weight is one thing but I like alignment a lot. Hate to see a bike listing to one side or crabbing down the road. A bike that doesn't track true is one uncomfortable ride whatever material it's made from.

Big Dan
01-25-2007, 07:08 AM
Steel forks rule.............. :D
Listen to Dave.

J.Greene
01-25-2007, 07:25 AM
I'd take the best advice of DK or whoever is building your bike. If I didn't I'd feel kinda foolish knowing I took their second best advice or had a bike with their second best ride.

JG

H.Frank Beshear
01-25-2007, 07:31 AM
Dave's forks are sweet. His frames are pretty nice too :D . I may be a little biased (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=215860&postcount=27) though :cool: .

CNY rider
01-25-2007, 07:54 AM
snipped

[QUOTE=R2D2]. If alignment is out on a CF fork or frame you're just stuck with it. And there are a lot of CF forks that are out of alignment coming off the mold. QUOTE]

Is this something you believe to be true, or do you have data to show that it is true?

Fat Robert
01-25-2007, 08:15 AM
so...I should send the Ritchey carbon fork I have left over to Kirk P., or whatever frame cat I select for the new bike, to check the alignment -- and if its wack, its time to go with another option.

hmmm.

next question: lugs and carbon fork. travesty?

David Kirk
01-25-2007, 08:31 AM
While I think that most carbon forks have acceptable alignment it's correct that you get what you get with a carbon fork. Not much opportunity to correct what came out of the mold.

When we developed the F1 fork all those years ago there was lots of tweaking to the mold, process, and machining of the dropouts to get the alignment to be as spot on as we could offer with a steel fork. In the end we did good but it was a lot of work. Unfortunately many other fork makers haven't gone through that process.

I have seen some pretty poor alignment from some carbon forks. There would be no way the bike they were stuck in would track straight.....no way.

But I think if you stay away from the crap and stay with a Reynolds or equivalent you'll be fine.

Dave

dave thompson
01-25-2007, 08:51 AM
snipped

[QUOTE=R2D2]. If alignment is out on a CF fork or frame you're just stuck with it. And there are a lot of CF forks that are out of alignment coming off the mold. QUOTE]

Is this something you believe to be true, or do you have data to show that it is true?
Yes, here: http://www.calfeedesign.com/forksymmetry.htm

CNY rider
01-25-2007, 09:02 AM
Dave, that's a great link, thanks.

I've always stuck with Reynolds carbon forks.

Is it true that Serotta re-checks the alignment and quality of the Ouzo Pro and other non-Serotta constructed forks they send out on their bikes? I have an O2 on my Legend; just curious.

R2D2
01-25-2007, 09:09 AM
Thanks Dave.
That was the article I remember reading.

weisan
01-25-2007, 09:18 AM
I have seen some pretty poor alignment from some carbon forks. There would be no way the bike they were stuck in would track straight.....no way.

And I thought all these years that my balancing skills are so terrible as not able to maintain a straight line...never for once thought it could be the lousy fork I have stucked on those bikes...anyway, these days when I look at a fork, I gravitate towards one thing only: Can it take 32mm tires? :D

Fixed
01-25-2007, 09:23 AM
bro it's simple steel bike = steel fork imho
cheers

znfdl
01-25-2007, 09:28 AM
bro it's simple steel bike = steel fork imho
cheers

+1

Custom steel frame = object of art

Custom steel fork = object of art

Object of Art = Object of Art

You now have proof that a steel frame needs a steel fork

:D

tv_vt
01-25-2007, 09:32 AM
Maybe someone can help me here - I've got a basic Jamis Aurora steel bike that I use as a beater/commuter. It was cheap but really rides great. Steel fork - that I KNOW is not in alignment, and probably can't be aligned. So who should I call to get a new one that isn't really expensive, that takes long reach sidepulls, and has a rake of 50mm?

Thanks!

Thom

David Kirk
01-25-2007, 09:40 AM
Maybe someone can help me here - I've got a basic Jamis Aurora steel bike that I use as a beater/commuter. It was cheap but really rides great. Steel fork - that I KNOW is not in alignment, and probably can't be aligned. So who should I call to get a new one that isn't really expensive, that takes long reach sidepulls, and has a rake of 50mm?

Thanks!

Thom

I'll bet it can be aligned.

Dave

atmo
01-25-2007, 10:09 AM
shalom steel israel atmo.

cadence90
01-25-2007, 10:19 AM
How come it's A-OK to have a carbon touring bike with retro bits, but not a modern steel bike with carbon bits??? :D

kbone
01-25-2007, 10:24 AM
Hope I am not hijacking the thread but... I have a question regarding steel forks. Do folks use them with Ti frames or is carbon the only option? If folks do use them, what kind do they use? I don't think a lugged fork would look good with a non-lugged frame.

Fixed
01-25-2007, 10:45 AM
How come it's A-OK to have a carbon touring bike with retro bits, but not a modern steel bike with carbon bits??? :D
bro life is like that sometimes imho
cheers

dauwhe
01-25-2007, 10:49 AM
Hope I am not hijacking the thread but... I have a question regarding steel forks. Do folks use them with Ti frames or is carbon the only option? If folks do use them, what kind do they use? I don't think a lugged fork would look good with a non-lugged frame.

Tournesol has done titanium frames with steel forks. And my Tournesol will have a fork with traditional crown (I'm pretty sure) but a welded frame. I bet it will look pretty darn good to me!

Dave

weisan
01-25-2007, 10:54 AM
Someone posted a link to eye-candy crown fork over another thread...
http://platedforkcrown.blogspot.com/

Whoa! Me likey...

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2651/1772/400/nakedcrown.jpg

cadence90
01-25-2007, 10:58 AM
bro life is like that sometimes imho
cheers
Depends on the viewpoint, imho.

chrisroph
01-25-2007, 11:52 AM
If DK is bulding you a bike you'd be nuts to not have him build the fork, and a stem for that matter. You can always put on a reynolds later if you want to experiment but I bet you $10 you will prefer the ride and solidity of a steel fork.

Fixed
01-25-2007, 02:04 PM
amen ,bro