PDA

View Full Version : helmet question

shrimp123
06-12-2020, 03:13 AM
helmets have pads (sweat pads, cushions, call them what you may)

I like cycling caps

now for the million zapatta question
do you remove the pads and wear helmet on caps?
do you leave the pads and compress them between cap and helmet?

I tried both... no-pads felt ok. just checking if i am missing something (except the pads) ?

Thanks

ahumblecycler
06-12-2020, 04:27 AM
My caps are thin and therefore keep the pads in the helmets. My current helmet is a Kask Protone and previous was a Lazer Z1. Be sure to regularly wash the helmet (I wear mine into the shower) and caps to keep everything from stinking and growing funky stuff :banana:

OtayBW
06-12-2020, 05:55 AM
I give my helmet a spritz with ~50-70% isopropal alcohol after every ride, and that seems to keep it reasonably clean.

Peter P.
06-12-2020, 06:24 AM
I'd leave the pads in.

I'll hazard a guess; should you ever get in a serious accident with an eventual court trial and the helmet is part of the trial, expect the mfr. to say removal of the pads was deemed a modification and voids the warranty or any other protections. That's the way the (legal) world works.

Like ahumblecycler, I bring my helmet into the shower after a sweaty ride. I just rinse it off for maybe 5 seconds. Does the trick.

charliedid
06-12-2020, 08:36 AM
I leave the pads and wash in shower every so often. I also have a spray cleaner that I hit it with.

But back to the original, not all helmets fit great with all caps. One thing I found is caps like the Giro synthetic ones or the Japanese old school super thin style works best for me. Many caps are not really designed to fit under a helmet in my experience.

Leave those pads in.

shrimp123
06-12-2020, 09:04 PM
got it. leave pads in place, get used to them and enjoy the rides.
and wash them when nose reminds the brain.

Thanks folks.