PDA

View Full Version : In praise of Shea butter

veggieburger
06-11-2020, 09:29 PM
I’ve had this nagging saddle sore right in the left crease, so I dipped into my wife’s fancy lotions and pulled out a tin of shea butter. Not a mix, no mineral oil etc, just pure Shea butter. The texture is chalky yet sticky, and it worked like a charm.

Not sure if this used by others, but if you’re having issues and it’s already in the house, worth trying.

Louis
06-11-2020, 09:36 PM
I’ve had this nagging saddle sore right in the left crease, so I dipped into my wife’s fancy lotions and pulled out a tin of shea butter.

She better not find out how/where you've been using it, otherwise you're going to have to buy her a new tin of it...

I believe some home-brew chamois cream recipes include shea butter.

ddeand
06-12-2020, 12:34 AM
That stuff is pretty good. I mixed up a batch of chamois cream, and shea butter was the main ingredient (along with coconut oil and lanolin).

veggieburger
06-12-2020, 06:00 AM
That stuff is pretty good. I mixed up a batch of chamois cream, and shea butter was the main ingredient (along with coconut oil and lanolin).

Do you remember the proportions? Would be very interested in trying this.

Veloo
06-12-2020, 06:08 AM
Yup, I already suffer from dry skin and even some patches of eczema. In the winter it gets bad. I find shea butter works better than anything else for me.

J.Higgins
06-12-2020, 06:13 AM
Never tried shea butter. I've been using Bag Balm since the 1960's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bag_Balm

If it works for cows it works for my bottom just fine.

zap
06-12-2020, 10:09 AM
Have been using real Shea butter for years as a skin moisturizer. Never thought to use shea butter as part of a chamois mix.

CDM
06-12-2020, 10:26 AM
My daughter is highly alergic to tree nuts. Shea butter comes from some type of nut and gave her extreme skin reaction...didnt need the epi pen but worth mentioning..

zap
06-12-2020, 10:36 AM
My daughter is highly alergic to tree nuts. Shea butter comes from some type of nut and gave her extreme skin reaction...didnt need the epi pen but worth mentioning..

Shea tree nuts.

David Tollefson
06-12-2020, 01:35 PM
Been making my own chamois cream for a while.

4 oz Shea butter
2 oz coconut oil
2 oz lanolin
3/4 tsp tea tree oil
3/4 tsp peppermint oil

Melt the shea butter, coconut oil and lanolin in a small sauce pan, add the tea tree and peppermint oils, mix. Pour into a small wide mouth jar. Put in freezer until it just starts to get some firmness, then pull it out and mix to get a smooth texture. Let fully set.

Blue Jays
06-12-2020, 01:44 PM
That chamois cream recipe sounds pretty easy-peasy to make, @David Tollefson.
It seems one could source those ingredients from any decent health food store.

reuben
06-12-2020, 03:23 PM
Wait, what? What are y'all doing? I thought the chamois was supposed to age, like leather. Yeah, keep it out of the sun so it doesn't crack, but never ever apply any sort of cream.

I've got a nice pair of premium '87 Assos that have that well-worn, well-loved bronzing.

reuben
06-12-2020, 03:24 PM

4 oz Shea butter
2 oz coconut oil
2 oz lanolin
3/4 tsp tea tree oil
3/4 tsp peppermint oil

Melt the shea butter, coconut oil and lanolin in a small sauce pan, add the tea tree and peppermint oils, mix. Pour into a small wide mouth jar. Put in freezer until it just starts to get some firmness, then pull it out and mix to get a smooth texture. Let fully set.

Crikey! What's next, balsamic vinegar reduction sauce? Cilantro?

It's a regular potpourri!

veggieburger
06-12-2020, 04:13 PM

4 oz Shea butter
2 oz coconut oil
2 oz lanolin
3/4 tsp tea tree oil
3/4 tsp peppermint oil

Excellent, thank you. The tea tree oil is a great thought.

David Tollefson
06-12-2020, 04:49 PM
That chamois cream recipe sounds pretty easy-peasy to make, @David Tollefson.
It seems one could source those ingredients from any decent health food store.

Or Amazon...

Also - the recipe isn't originally mine, just found it an Le Google.

ddeand
06-12-2020, 10:51 PM
Do you remember the proportions? Would be very interested in trying this.
Here’s the recipe I got online - very similar to David Tollefson’s recipe. I doubled the amounts and have enough for this year and maybe part of next year. It works really well.

Chamois Cream Recipe

4oz shea butter
2oz coconut oil
2oz lanolin
1/8oz tea tree oil
1/16oz peppermint oil
Quarter tube of Cortizone 10

1. Melt the shea butter and coconut oil together in a pot on the stove (or in a double boiler if you have one).
2. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
3. Stir in lanolin.
4. Place in freezer for 20 minutes (or until partially solidified).
5. Add essential oils and mix for 10 minutes.
6. Place in freezer 10 more minutes.
7. Whip until a butter-like consistency is achieved.
8. Once ready, place in a small jar for storage.
9. Test it out.
*Note that cooking times and exact preparation will vary depending on your cookware and the specific brands of ingredients you’re using

Blue Jays
06-12-2020, 11:16 PM
"...Also - the recipe isn't originally mine, just found it an Le Google..."Excellent, it is a classic old French concoction for cyclists! LOL.
This sounds like it will make enough for a few weeks of typical riding.

Clancy
06-13-2020, 07:00 AM
Here’s the recipe I got online - very similar to David Tollefson’s recipe. I doubled the amounts and have enough for this year and maybe part of next year. It works really well.

Chamois Cream Recipe

4oz shea butter
2oz coconut oil
2oz lanolin
1/8oz tea tree oil
1/16oz peppermint oil

1. Melt the shea butter and coconut oil together in a pot on the stove (or in a double boiler if you have one).
3. Stir in lanolin.
9. Test it out.
*Note that cooking times and exact preparation will vary depending on your cookware and the specific brands of ingredients you’re using

Although it might not make a difference, I think Cortizone comes in different size tubes. Do you know approximately how many ounces?

2metalhips
06-13-2020, 08:44 AM

Chamois Cream Recipe

4oz shea butter
2oz coconut oil
2oz lanolin
1/8oz tea tree oil
1/16oz peppermint oil

3. Stir in lanolin.
9. Test it out.

Is it April 1st?