PDA

View Full Version : Spinergy PBO experience?

scarnley
01-25-2007, 12:29 AM
About to pull the trigger on some Spinergy PBO spoked Xaero wheels, and was curious if anyone had any time spent on a set, or really any of the PBO clinchers?

Just finished a build on my new Nove, and it needs some new shoes to match it's ownself.

Thanks for any help!

Too Tall
01-25-2007, 07:47 AM
Personal experiance with Spinergy is dismal at best and in my opinion represent some really questionable material designs. In principle they work but boy howdy do they go cheap on materials and warranty was ,for me, the worst evah. Ask me what I really think ;)

jmewkill
01-25-2007, 07:58 AM
I had a pair each of the Rev-x's and the Xaero's. I got them quite cheaply, used them, didn't have any real issues, sold them. More sizzle than steak I think. Seems either people thought they were ok, or hated them.

I think the company suffered when Cannondale declared bankruptcy and have struggled ever since.

jdgreen
01-26-2007, 08:54 PM
I have a pair of the spox with black and yellow spokes. Somewhat heavy, they seem to respond poorly in crosswinds, and I have had trouble with the spokes breaking more than normal. On the positive note, they are good looking wheels on the bike I run them on "a ti with yellow decals", and they are very smooth riding.

2mnyBikes
01-27-2007, 01:35 PM
I weigh over 200 lbs. and I've had a set of Xaero Lite's for over 4 years that have been very smooth riding and totally reliable. Other than a slight re-true of the rear wheel during the first year I had them, they haven't been touched. And, I just bought a brand new set of Xaero's for a carbon frame build I putting together. So as for me, I give them high marks.

stevep
01-27-2007, 01:42 PM
im w/ tt.
there is a lot of better stuff out there.
get anything else. will be better.

Ligero
01-27-2007, 09:06 PM
I had a pair of them about 4 years ago and broke a drive side spoke after 100 miles. It took almost 2 years, Yes 2 years, to get a replacement spoke from Spinergy.

2mnyBikes
01-28-2007, 12:37 AM
I must live a charmed life, or my first set of Xaero's was a stroke of luck. In any case, I hope set number two treats me as well - here's hoping.

deechee
01-28-2007, 07:24 AM
sigh. I was crazy enough to buy the Xaeros a few years ago since I was told it would dampen the harsh ride of my alu frame. I completely believe that it did.

That said, I had some problems with the rear hub which required me to send back the wheel. I think that, and the constant need to re-true my wheels (I'm not heavy, I was around 145lbs at the time) kind of put me off. But I kept them and they're on my gf's bike now.

Some friends of mine scored the Stealths at a ridiculously low price and I know at least one guy who's ridden them a whole season with no issue.

I also found the wheels a bit flexy for sprinting (not that I really care since I suck at it)

deechee
01-28-2007, 07:25 AM
oh and don't forget the extremely noisy rear hub. click CLIK CLICK CLICK ...

2mnyBikes
01-28-2007, 05:08 PM
After reading all the negative comments about the Xaero's in this thread, which is completely opposite to my experience, I decided to take them for a ride today. I have Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX tires mounted on them and run them on my full carbon bike. Took a nice 30 mile solo ride and enjoyed every minute of it, including the smooth ride provided by the Xaero's! :D

Once again, maybe I'm just lucky, but they've been absolutely great for me.

http://img180.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ns3vu2.jpg