PDA

View Full Version : Shipping from Canada?

Spaceman Spiff
06-11-2020, 10:44 AM
I've found a bike I'm interested in on PinkBike. It looks to be in good shape, is exactly what I want, and the price is great. The only complication is that it's in Canada and the seller is hesitant to ship to the US.

What are your experiences shipping from Canada? How do the customs/duties/fees/whatever work out? What other complications arise?

The seller is just up the coast in BC and I'm in Oregon. So distance-wise, it wouldn't be a huge shipping rate. If it were a bit closer, I'd just burn a day driving up there myself!

jmoore
06-11-2020, 10:57 AM
What's the value of the bike? Customs only kick in when the value is over $800USD.

mktng
06-11-2020, 10:59 AM
It's painless. During regular times. You'll likely pay duty taxes.

I would add though. During these times....

Having just sold and mailed items to two different users here. It's been over two weeks and I don't think they've reached their destination.

RoadWhale
06-11-2020, 11:40 AM
I purchased the Pinarello Dogma FPX from a Gentleman in Canada a few weeks ago. I don't know what his shipping cost was for the frame but the declared value was $1500 US. FedEx charged me a 50.00 brokerage fee but I did not have to pay actual duty charges to the Government. Good luck and I hope you are able to acquire the bike.

ultraman6970
06-11-2020, 11:57 AM
From canada here the trading laws are more flexibles... from here there the situation changes a lot, they try to protect their local industry and pretty much the only way is to do it with taxes, so if a canadian cant find anything and need to order from somewhere else pretty much they are screwed, they will put a few taxes on top. If you look at the other way, put the producers trying to put products into canada into a disadvantage because their product will be taxed a lot... again.. they try to protect themselves and makes sense.

Trading laws arent the same for every country, that was the reason of the umca treaty, to level things both ways, but probably bicycle stuff was not included :P

Spaceman Spiff
06-11-2020, 12:42 PM
I suspect the seller has never shipped to the US before and is just nervous about the process.

What's the value of the bike? Customs only kick in when the value is over $800USD.

$2500. I'm fine paying customs though since the bike+shipping+customs would still be within my budget.

It's painless. During regular times. You'll likely pay duty taxes.

I would add though. During these times....

Having just sold and mailed items to two different users here. It's been over two weeks and I don't think they've reached their destination.

Yeah, as close as it is, I don't expect it to be fast. But I'm willing to wait!

adub
06-11-2020, 06:49 PM
I find it perplexing how people are hesitant to mail from the USA to Canada And vise versa.

It is no different than mailing within your country when using Canada Post or USPS. (in Canada we have to fill out a 5 line form declaring value when mailing goods to the USA)

Easy Peasy!!

Black Dog
06-11-2020, 06:59 PM
I find it perplexing how people are hesitant to mail from the USA to Canada And vise versa.

It is no different than mailing within your country when using Canada Post or USPS. (in Canada we have to fill out a 5 line form declaring value when mailing goods to the USA)

Easy Peasy!!

This. Avoid UPS since they charge crazy brokerage fees. It’s going to be slow due to the increased amount of shipped items because of the pandemic but it will arrive.