PDA

View Full Version : OT: RIP Hans Mezger

Gsinill
06-11-2020, 10:00 AM
For the Porschephiles here on TPL...
The man that gave us the air-cooled, six-cylinder boxer engine of the 911 died yesterday.

Some background here (https://www.elferspot.com/en/magazin/engine-mastermind-hans-mezger/?fbclid=IwAR0evazgwqUiRnNkspV71I_w1YTGG3j_0gVia8Mp nTSzrecoKnelMJXfNJA).

4151zero
06-11-2020, 10:06 AM
godspeed to a legend

my last two IMS bearings salute him!

dpdan93
06-11-2020, 10:13 AM
His gt1 engine block will forever be one of the most idolized pieces of machinery

StephenCL
06-11-2020, 10:45 AM
His gt1 engine block will forever be one of the most idolized pieces of machinery

No doubt... truly bulletproof and the trickle down to production cars is simply the hallmark of what makes Porcshe so special... My 996TT was one of my favorite cars ever... Loved walking around knowing the block was a direct descendent from the GT1....

dpdan93
06-11-2020, 12:19 PM
No doubt... truly bulletproof and the trickle down to production cars is simply the hallmark of what makes Porcshe so special... My 996TT was one of my favorite cars ever... Loved walking around knowing the block was a direct descendent from the GT1....

most of my youtube time is spent listening to straight piped 997 RS's living around redline. It doesn't get old

Lionel
06-11-2020, 12:22 PM
RIP HM. What a legacy !

Had the chance to drive a 997 GT3 4.0 recently. What an engine !

martl
06-11-2020, 06:11 PM
Sad to hear the news. Along with some others (Rosche*) , Waxenberger, Aufrecht, Neerpasch, Treser) a giant in the world of Motorsport engineering and, if you're a petrolhead, there may be no one like these any more.

*) when I was an intern at Bosch Fuel injection systems (formerly Schäfer/Kugelfischer) in ~1991 I shared the office with the engineer and the head mechanic who had Co developed the BMW F1 engine that pushed Piquet to the title 1981. They had some stories to tell about engine test stands rated 1500hp that were blown up, emergency flights to Monza with spare parts in the suitcase because all available engines had blown during Friday free training :D
The mechanic still had a cardboard box of poisonous Kugelfischer steering cams under his desk which, I'm sure, a few Porsche restorers would kill for..