PDA

View Full Version : OT: Windows update; v1903 to v2004, where is 1909?

tbike4
06-11-2020, 07:10 AM
I have a few PCs to update that have Windows v.1903. Usual procedure, check for updates, all v.1903 updates run then update to v.1909 which was released last November. I have a PC that decided it wanted to update to v.2004 which was released like 2 weeks ago. I don't want it since IMO a person in their right mind would not install an update that is 2 weeks old. I rolled it back to v.1903.

This one PC does not have v.1909 available, only v.2004. I have researched the subject and the towel has been thrown in. If there is an installer for v.1903 I can't find it, only for v.2004.

A search for Windows Media Creation Tool 1909 just gives you the chance to create an installer for 2004. It seems Microsoft has removed access to 1909 installers, for me anyway.

Any ideas from someone smarter than myself? Lots of you out there I know. :)
See photo- this is what it should look like.

djg21
06-11-2020, 07:22 AM
I don't want it since IMO a person in their right mind would not install an update that is 2 weeks old. I rolled it back to v.1903.

Run the current release version of Win 10. It has been throughly beta tested and should be plenty stable. I’ve been using insider preview versions on the “slow ring” since day one and have never had any issues with stability or reliability. I wouldn’t use the “fast ring” preview versions because they are more apt to have bugs. But by the time the update is publicly released, it has been pretty well vetted and should be trouble free.

benb
06-11-2020, 08:31 AM
They know better than you do.

It could be deciding one of your PCs needs v2004 because they're not the same type of machine, and they know v1909 has an issue on that PC. The way software works v2004 is very likely to have all the changes in v1909 unless they found issues in v1909.

You could contact support if you are actually paying for a level of support where you could get someone who would know the real answer. Guessing there's like 0% chance of that if you're talking about your home computers.

unterhausen
06-11-2020, 09:01 AM
I don't pay attention to versions to this level of detail. But there definitely was one update not that long ago that had a lot of problems and broke a lot of programs. It wouldn't surprise me if that's why you can't get that particular update.

paredown
06-11-2020, 09:26 AM
I don't pay attention to versions to this level of detail. But there definitely was one update not that long ago that had a lot of problems and broke a lot of programs. It wouldn't surprise me if that's why you can't get that particular update.

Agree--but without tracking the updates closely either. MS tend to make wrong steps disappear...