PDA

View Full Version : Headset question

TunaAndBikes
06-10-2020, 08:54 PM
So, just noticed that the bearing cap doesn't seem to sit quite perfectly
Goes in the slightest diagonal line, with the front part being closer to the headset cup and the rear part being a little bit further.
Difference isn't much, maybe 1/32", but it's still enough to bug me!

Is this normal <- My question :)

rustychisel
06-10-2020, 10:04 PM
And what is the question you refer to in the title?

TunaAndBikes
06-11-2020, 08:58 AM
And what is the question you refer to in the title?

Wondering if this is normal.

I've noticed a bit of slack in my compression cap while riding and tightened it back down and i'm thinking maybe i've already damaged the headset. Granted it was it's first maiden voyage, so perhaps it was my error during assembly.

Now, I don't want to damage the frame by riding a broken headset, so i'm spiraling down and checking to see if there might be an issue with the headset that's currently on there

paredown
06-11-2020, 09:17 AM
I'm assuming that you have had it all the way out, and checked that the bottom bearing/race is seated correctly?

It is also possible that your crown race is not seated correctly, or that your top and bottom frame cups (if present) are also not square--any one of those things could mean that the fork tube is exiting the frame at a slight angle so that when the compression cap is tightened down you get the slight gap and/or problems getting a good preload on the compression cap.

Post pics--there are certainly folks on the forum who have a ton more experience with "modern :banana:" headset setup..

TunaAndBikes
06-11-2020, 09:36 AM
I'm assuming that you have had it all the way out, and checked that the bottom bearing/race is seated correctly?

It is also possible that your crown race is not seated correctly, or that your top and bottom frame cups (if present) are also not square--any one of those things could mean that the fork tube is exiting the frame at a slight angle so that when the compression cap is tightened down you get the slight gap and/or problems getting a good preload on the compression cap.

Post pics--there are certainly folks on the forum who have a ton more experience with "modern :banana:" headset setup..

I'll check all the alignments and take a pic this evening!