PDA

View Full Version : 1st tubulars in 5+ years. Glue/Tape ??

robt57
06-10-2020, 06:50 PM
What is the tech today. Quit about 5-6 years back, an have wheels inbound.

I have used Vitt Mastik, and even ued 3M Fast Tack trim adhesive after someone I know/trust for 1000 years said he'd done it for years. I forget the # glue though [08031?] In fact that is what I used for the last 4-5 years I had had them on my 72 Chrome Paramount.

And Carogna Tubular Gluing Tape seems to be a thing, never used other than tubes of goo personally.

I am totally OK with the multi day setup to do it and get it right. Did sewups for a few year late teens, and again on that Paramount, cause I just had to.

Anywho, I am listening...

Vientomas
06-10-2020, 07:02 PM
What is the tech today. Quit about 5-6 years back, an have wheels inbound.

I have used Vitt Mastik, and even ued 3M Fast Tack trim adhesive after someone I know/trust for 1000 years said he'd done it for years. I forget the # glue though [08031?] In fact that is what I used for the last 4-5 years I had had them on my 72 Chrome Paramount.

And Carogna Tubular Gluing Tape seems to be a thing, never used other than tubes of goo personally.

I am totally OK with the multi day setup to do it and get it right. Did sewups for a few year late teens, and again on that Paramount, cause I just had to.

Anywho, I am listening...

Carogna tape working well for me. Vittoria's on HED Stingers.

kppolich
06-10-2020, 07:05 PM
Tape. Faster on, easier off.

gibbo
06-10-2020, 07:36 PM
I have used Tofo extreme tape in the past and it works and is easy! I found it quite thick and it always felt a bit different to me (maybe just in my mind). I went back to glue (vittoria mastik) as its not that much effort and I believe it gives a better contact between the tyre and rim.

evo111@comcast.net
06-10-2020, 07:47 PM
Mastik.

john903
06-10-2020, 08:31 PM
+1 Mastic is my preference. I used tape years ago and didn't care for how hard it was to remove the tire. I think they both work fine maybe try both and see which one you like best. I like Mastic it just seems to go on easier and you have more time to move the tire around and get it mounted properly.
Have fun on your new Tubies.

fijichf
06-10-2020, 08:52 PM
I’m too used to the Mastik process to want to deal with tape, especially if I puncture on the road.

pasadena
06-10-2020, 09:16 PM
Yes, carogna

Carogna tape working well for me. Vittoria's on HED Stingers.

robt57
06-10-2020, 10:19 PM
Yes, carogna

Damn, that stuff costs. Leaning Masik at this point.

Does gluing to carbon rims instead of alloy change and opinions?

robt57
06-10-2020, 10:21 PM
I’m too used to the Mastik process to want to deal with tape, especially if I puncture on the road.

That seems a VG point to me.

fogrider
06-10-2020, 11:14 PM
+1 Mastic is my preference. I used tape years ago and didn't care for how hard it was to remove the tire. I think they both work fine maybe try both and see which one you like best. I like Mastic it just seems to go on easier and you have more time to move the tire around and get it mounted properly.
Have fun on your new Tubies.

+1 on mastic. with tape, you get one chance to align it just right, once you pull off the paper, it's not gonna move. then it feels just a little too thick and once I flatted and had a hard time pulling the tire off. Had to break the bond with something sharp, took my time and slowly worked it loose. With mastic, you control how much goes on...

robt57
06-10-2020, 11:26 PM
+1 on mastic. with tape, you get one chance to align it just right, once you pull off the paper, it's not gonna move. then it feels just a little too thick and once I flatted and had a hard time pulling the tire off. Had to break the bond with something sharp, took my time and slowly worked it loose. With mastic, you control how much goes on...

Most of my experience has always been goo from a tube. Got pretty good with acid brushes for application. Looks like my direction...

Clean39T
06-11-2020, 12:29 AM
Most of my experience has always been goo from a tube. Got pretty good with acid brushes for application. Looks like my direction...

Lemme know if you need some extra practice - I still have some 25mm Corsas to mount on Shamals :fight:

I'm kidding. I'll get around to taping them up soon..

robt57
06-11-2020, 01:10 AM
Lemme know if you need some extra practice - I still have some 25mm Corsas to mount on Shamals :fight:

I'm kidding. I'll get around to taping them up soon..Yeah, let me practice on your ars before I risk my own. I like it. :D

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Alaska Mike
06-11-2020, 01:41 AM
For a wider rim that hasn't been previously glued, I use tape (Carogna). If it was previously glued, I usually stay with glue. I tried cleaning up a rim for tape, but the effort/mess wasn't worth it for me. Carogna works best on a clean rim, and I hate rolling tubulars- especially since my tubulars are my race wheels (carbon).

fijichf
06-11-2020, 05:16 AM
That seems a VG point to me.

I’ll add that punctures haven’t been an issue (knock on wood) and a few years back, I started using 2oz of Orange Seal in each tire as a preventative maintenance measure. Running Veloflex Vlaanderen which have latex tubes.

oldpotatoe
06-11-2020, 06:36 AM
Glue, I use Panaracer("take a trip without leaving the farm"

Cut off bottom of water bottle, solvent brush and it needn't take 'days'...do it in about an hour then let sit for 24 hours.

The only advantage to tape, IMHO, is faster on but you ought to let them sit for a while also. PLUS, when you do remove the tire, ya gotta clean it well before the next round of tape..not really for well applied glue.

PLUS another for glue when done right..ya get one shot at centering with tape..if ya kinda goon that up..well...for glue, last step, mount with dryish on tire and wetish on rim..easy to center perfectly.

AngryScientist
06-11-2020, 06:47 AM
yep, glue for me. not a multi day affair.

acid brushes.

1 coat on rim

1 coat on base tape

2nd coat on rim

2nd coat on base tape.

wait about 45 minutes.

wet coat on rim

mount

sit overnight

ride

AngryScientist
06-11-2020, 06:52 AM
also this takes about 2 good glasses of scotch to work properly. steadies the nerves for final mounting and straightening.

redir
06-11-2020, 07:32 AM
I'm surprised to hear anyone say tape is easier to take off a tire. That's pretty much why I hate tape, aside from the alignment problem mentioned earlier, it's next to impossible to get a tire off! Mastik 1 for me.

Fast Tack is old school. I used to use that circa 2000 or so. They change the formula at some point and I think it was generally considered no good after that for the cycling community.

pasadena
06-11-2020, 08:18 AM
Damn, that stuff costs. Leaning Masik at this point.

Does gluing to carbon rims instead of alloy change and opinions?

carogna you are paying for consistency and convenience.
stick it on the rim, mount tire, straighten it out, and pull the other side of the backing off. Pressure activated. stuck n done. doesnt dry out as fast as glue either.

Efetto Mar sells the glue remover, it's carbon wheel safe. Naptha is commonly used also.