PDA

View Full Version : Rides/routes in/around Annapolis MD

mass_biker
06-10-2020, 12:23 PM
Have not spent much time in that neck of the woods but might be taking a trip in the near/medium term and would bring the bike...wondering how the road (and maybe - MUT) riding situation is in that area. Good loops? Super dense? I would guess not terribly hilly.

thanks

m_b

makoti
06-10-2020, 01:20 PM
It's pretty good, there. There's this: https://www.traillink.com/trail/baltimore-and-annapolis-trail/. If you are mobile, there's a trail north of Baltimore to York Pa, mostly packed gravel/dirt.
RWGPS should give you quite a few routes around there, as well. Baltimore Bicycle Club (BBC) does rides in that area, too, so their website might have some leads on routes. I don't think anyone is doing actual rides.

dan_hudson
06-10-2020, 02:06 PM
Roads... nice riding in south Anne Arundel county heading toward Galesville and North + Chesapeake Beach. Escape from Annapolis proper requires some road riding savvy as they can be quite congested.

MUT... Baltimore/Annapolis Trail generally runs north/south between the two. Annapolis end starts opposite the Naval Academy along the Severn River.

MTB... might as well include it too, eh? Local riders have been busy the past few years. Two fun options around Annapolis. Waterworks Park is on city watershed land just outside of town. Bacon Ridge is about five miles north along I-97. Both have miles of dandy single track. Details available on MTB Project.

reuben
06-10-2020, 02:52 PM
Road - you can park at South River High School, and from there go down either Route 2 (Solomons Island Road), or Muddy Creek Road. Out and back at your leisure. I'd suggest Muddy Creek, toward Galesville and Chesapeake Beach as Dan mentioned. If you decide to take the Route 2 route (see what I did there?) park at Southern High School. 424 and 214 are good as well, but if you take 214 too far west you'll end up on 301 and you don't want to do that. South River High is on 214 pretty much right at the intersection with Route 2. Lots of folks meet at the Park and Ride on 424 at Route 50.

MTB - you can actually connect Waterworks with Bacon Ridge via a couple of roads. It'd be 30+ miles total from what I understand. I hike Waterworks and the whole thing is 12+ miles. Pretty constant up and down, but nothing big. I think that waterworks.com redirects to the tail info. There are signposts inside at the various junctions, which helps.

https://www.trailforks.com/region/annapolis-waterworks-trail-30337/

pasadena
06-10-2020, 02:59 PM
I had relatives in Bay Ridge. Small but nice quiet area you can ride bikes with views of the water. Not far from the cute downtown area near the military school. Maybe you can connect it with part of your ride. I saw more than a few cyclists around there.

mcfarton
06-10-2020, 03:16 PM
Lifeline 100 is a charity ride with posted routes. I did the 100 mile one last year. It was OK. I didn’t care for the MUT or the downtown part. The parts south of town were nice. They also have shorter routes posted. Google it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reuben
06-10-2020, 03:55 PM
I had relatives in Bay Ridge. Small but nice quiet area you can ride bikes with views of the water. Not far from the cute downtown area near the military school. Maybe you can connect it with part of your ride. I saw more than a few cyclists around there.
Dang, that's AWFUL close to Chez Moi.

tuxbailey
06-10-2020, 04:52 PM
Seconded. From B&A Trail you can link with BWI loop as well.

You can stop by Anne's dairy for soft serve/foot long/burger etc :)

https://www.facebook.com/annsdaricremeofficial

It's pretty good, there. There's this: https://www.traillink.com/trail/balt...napolis-trail/. If you are mobile, there's a trail north of Baltimore to York Pa, mostly packed gravel/dirt.
RWGPS should give you quite a few routes around there, as well. Baltimore Bicycle Club (BBC) does rides in that area, too, so their website might have some leads on routes. I don't think anyone is doing actual rides.

reuben
06-10-2020, 05:00 PM
Seconded. From B&A Trail you can link with BWI loop as well.

You can stop by Anne's dairy for soft serve/foot long/burger etc :)

https://www.facebook.com/annsdaricremeofficial

Get half a double - half a footlong with two dogs. And a malt - they're made from scratch.

bigbill
06-10-2020, 05:35 PM
Have not spent much time in that neck of the woods but might be taking a trip in the near/medium term and would bring the bike...wondering how the road (and maybe - MUT) riding situation is in that area. Good loops? Super dense? I would guess not terribly hilly.

thanks

m_b

My son goes to school there are does collegiate racing for USNA. His rides typically have a metric butt-tonne of climbing. It is pretty hilly for being on the water.

pasadena
06-10-2020, 06:03 PM
Dang, that's AWFUL close to Chez Moi.

It's a nice area, I like it there on the water. Haven't done much cycling there though. We watched the fireworks at New Years. Crabcake place was good...forget the name of it now.

mass_biker
06-10-2020, 11:01 PM
Thanks all for your suggestions - most of my riding in MD has been north of Baltimore...not at all familiar with AA county, so your input is super helpful.
m_b

reuben
06-10-2020, 11:46 PM
Our hills aren't nearly as tough as those from Baltimore up to PA.