PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Tints

Michael Katz
05-16-2004, 08:13 AM
I'm trying to decide whether I should have a tint applied to the carbon on an Ottrott I ordered. Anyone have pictures of tinted frames? It's tough to get a real idea of how the colors look from Serotta's website. Thanks.

Wood
05-16-2004, 11:49 PM
MK,
Tint color was one of the toughest choices I had to make. My LBS knows that all to well, since I changed the color on my Ottrott ST three times before locking in with the red tint. I loved the way the carbon fiber stood out with the tint so deciding to tint was easy, however picking the color was really hard, especially without examples to look at. My frame was delivered to my LBS about week or so ago, but I have yet to see it in person so unfortuneatly I can't send any happy snaps of the red tint yet. Take a look at Serotta's Image Gallary, there are several good photos of Ottrott's on it and you might also want to check out the Serotta section at: http://www.bikefanclub.com/gallery/.

Hope this helps and good luck! :beer: Wood

Needs Help
05-17-2004, 01:05 AM
My frame was delivered to my LBS about week or so ago...

...and they all haven't had a chance to do a century on it??!!

Get the Harlequin tint--thirteen hundred colors in one.

Michael Katz
05-17-2004, 05:57 AM
Thanks for the replies. Needs Help - which harlequin are you referencing, there are 2 of them!

Kevan
05-17-2004, 06:24 AM
he's got this drop-dead beautiful green tint the merges the Ti and CF ever so elegantly. Best I've seen on the Ottrott.

Sandy
05-17-2004, 06:37 AM
Ok, I admit that Spoke has a beautiful Ottrott, with the Harlequin green color, and an almost rich, deep, stealth, fast look. But what about your bud, Dandy Sandy and his blue tinted carbon tubes, no Serotta decals, and a few neatly placed red S's???? Don't you love me anymore,Kevan???

Changing all my clothes to green, my hair, my tongue,.....

Green with envy ,

Sad Sandy

Sandy
05-17-2004, 06:49 AM
Some of the other Harlequin colors are beautiful too. I know someone with an Ottrott ST with a natural carbon color and Kysrium wheels. That combination is hard to beat. Very rich, subdued, and elegant.

Sandy

dbrk
05-17-2004, 07:12 AM
Will Serotta do all the whole USPS Masters gitup for the Ottrott? On a bike this zooty I'd be tempted to do the not-low-key look. I'm not sure how it would wear on the eyes, but I think the team bike looks nifty.

I 'spose this was not a proposed option but it's what I would be thinking about.

dbrk
who has never seen an all white or all black bike (you pick the decals) that he didn't like...mr exciting, eh?

Needs Help
05-18-2004, 12:12 AM
Harlequin Carbon Clear Coats
21 Harlequin <--------------*****************That one!
22 Copper Harlequin

Standard Carbon Clear Coats
23 Red
24 Blue
25 Green

Don't get your fork tinted. I think it's insulting that a company would charge you $575 for a fork along with your high priced custom frame, and then try to charge you $100 more for tinting. $675 for a fork???!! I would do all the paper work and get ready to sign off and then tell your dealer you want your fork tinted free, or else you aren't going to order the bike. If they say no, go order a Spectrum--the fork is free.

All the Masters Ottrotts are is blue tinted carbon with red and white decals. I noticed that Serotta added the Master's red and white decals this year, and I agree, it's a sharp looking setup. Someone posted that Serotta is not allowed to sell bikes with the USPS logos, though because Trek is the official team sponsor.

Russ
05-18-2004, 12:33 AM
Mike,

I posted some pictures of my Ottrott a while back, which has the blue tinted tubes. I tried to take several pictures of the bike in different areas (with sun, with flash, in the shade) to show the tinted carbon. See: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=1151

I know there is a premium to pay for tinted carbon, but I think the good, old, clear coat on the black carbon tubes is just too ugly!

Have fun!

Michael Katz
05-22-2004, 06:48 AM
Russ, thanks for the link. Beautiful bike! The shot of the seatpost and the top tube really shows the contrast between the blue tint and regular cabon weave. Very helpful! Ah, decissions, decissions. Anyone else have links to pictures of the various tints? Has anyone seen the copper harlequin - any comments?

Dekonick
05-22-2004, 09:27 PM
Looks sharp.