PDA

View Full Version : In troubled times - Thank you Paceline

Clancy
06-10-2020, 07:51 AM
In what is undoubtedly the most turbulent times most of us have ever experienced I’ve found that having this forum has been both a needed distraction and a most welcomed and surprising comfort.

I just recently posted a WTB for a stem. Not only did I get a number of replies with very reasonable offers, I had one member offer to send one for free. When I asked him why free he replied that he was in a position to do so, was happy to do so, then said this is how the forum is supposed to be.

I’ve always been a little surprised at how consistently even toned, respectful, and helpful almost all members are. Even the few who get a little frisky from time to time are exceedingly mild compared to some idiots typically found on other forums.

But even more so, and something hard to define, but there seems to be a genuine feel of community here, of members looking after each other.

I’ve found myself recently reflecting on the people in my life that are important to me and have been doing my best to reach out and express that. As I was going over that in my mind, it occurred to me that although I’ve never met a single one of you, that collectively this forum has also become important to me.

It’s strange that in these troubled times I find refuge in a cycling forum.

Thank you to everyone here.

Black Dog
06-10-2020, 08:16 AM
This place is the exception to every rule of the internet. I am always amazed at the depth of kindness, generosity, wisdom, and knowledge here. All of this while not being an echo chamber. Thanks to all that give so much more than they take.

bthomas515
06-10-2020, 08:21 AM
I’ve also found myself spending far more time pursuing the forum during this season. It’s become a much needed escape. Thanks for the post.

adrien
06-10-2020, 08:25 AM
I find bicycles and all things related are like an oasis. They allow for an escape from a hectic life.

Paceline feels like an extension of the three buddies who go on long rides together, and someone's always willing to share water, or help boot a cut tire.

buddybikes
06-10-2020, 08:25 AM
We need to thank our administrators for keeping this herd of cats and dogs in place.

jghall
06-10-2020, 08:27 AM
Here, here, to the op's message and the administrators.

tuxbailey
06-10-2020, 08:55 AM
+1

It is a good place to get some peace from the internet here.

texbike
06-10-2020, 09:23 AM
We need to thank our administrators for keeping this herd of cats and dogs in place.

^Agreed! This can be a tough job. Especially in light of some of the recent discussions. The approach that the mod team has taken has been great.

I've been on the Paceline forum for over 15 years now. There's a reason that I keep coming back. The incredible variety of backgrounds and expertise among the membership provides wonderful points of reference on MANY subjects - not just bikes. Plus, as mentioned, the interaction is overwhelmingly respectful and members are happy to help one another. It's a great community for sure!

Texbike

AngryScientist
06-10-2020, 09:24 AM
That was a nice note to read this morning Clancy, thank you.

NHAero
06-10-2020, 09:30 AM
+100 here!
In addition to what's been said, I find the generosity of people in the OT threads to be an inspiration. There is so much diversity of expertise here, and the willingness to share is terrific.
Thanks to all!

Matthew
06-10-2020, 09:39 AM
I joined January 4, 2005. Probably visited daily since. Far and away the best forum on the net for cyclists. Thanks to everyone here, members and mods for making it exceptional. Matthew

dlui
06-10-2020, 10:17 AM
I would also like to express appreciation for this forum and the mods.
THANK YOU !!!

mistermo
06-10-2020, 10:49 AM
I would also like to express appreciation for this forum and the mods.
THANK YOU !!!

The last moderator appreciation thread didn't go so hot. This one seems to be starting out way better. Thanks to all the mods (and inmates)!

gasman
06-10-2020, 12:02 PM
This is a really good place because of the members.
Thanks for the acknowledgment of the mods, we work hard.

Robot870
06-10-2020, 12:23 PM
Love this place! It's the only forum i visit......So many smart humans and zero drama!!

572cv
06-10-2020, 08:25 PM
When I joined this forum, I listened and watched. The tone was generous and knowledgeable. Serotta _Pete was still active! Lots of guys sharing tips, experience. I resolved to never post unless it was positive, helpful, or funny. I think I’ve succeeded on at least two out of three, which isn’t so bad. :)
It’s a good enough place to be worth the effort. Thanks Clancy, and everyone.

vqdriver
06-10-2020, 08:59 PM
I’ve always been a little surprised at how consistently even toned, respectful, and helpful almost all members are. Even the few who get a little frisky from time to time are exceedingly mild compared to some idiots typically found on other forums.

this ^
thanks, of course, to the mods and the collective membership here.

Toeclips
06-10-2020, 10:30 PM
I joined here to talked about bikes but found myself coming here for a support group during the covid 19 onslaught
It helped to talk about bikes too

stephenmarklay
06-10-2020, 10:42 PM
Agreed! Sometime I leave for a while but I always come back. I am always happy when I do.

Bruce K
06-11-2020, 05:35 AM
Thanks for the positive thoughts on what for me will be a somber day.

I am going back to my classroom to help my students clean out lockers and retrieve personal gear.

First time back for them and the first time I will see them in person since 3/12.

Not the way I wanted school to end for us.

So again, thanks for brightening the day. We try our best.

BK

robertbb
06-11-2020, 05:56 AM
Totally agree!

I've been on multiple bike and cycling related forums for ~15 years and this one is a true standout.

I particularly love that there's very few "racerboi" wannabes here talking about the latest $10k road bike, $5k wheels and power meters - instead there's a great mix of classic (and modern) hand made metal bikes and all-road bikepacking/gravel type bikes with a focus on craftsmanship and practicality.

Just regular people who love to tinker and ride bikes purely for the ride!

soulspinner
06-11-2020, 06:11 AM
Its been a refuge for me since 2003. Thanks to the mods and good souls out there.

RWL2222
06-11-2020, 09:44 AM
I had been noodling on starting a thread to the same effect. I agree with the prior comments. The PL forum is really well done all around. The kindness, advice, parts bin offerings and loaned tools I have received have been terrific. I hand it to the mods, long-time members and frequent posters who make it what it is for newer members like me. I have learned a great deal and enjoy the occasional gentle jabs and biking humor among many here.

I got on PL because I needed to get back on the bike after a long time off. I found that I can now check the world news once in the morning and at night and that's it. I hit the New Posts link here 3-4x a day and more or less read PL like it was the NYTimes.

majorpat
06-11-2020, 11:00 AM
It's the only internet group/forum I belong to for the exact reasons the OP stated, so keep it quiet so we don't attract any balloonheads!

Blue Jays
06-11-2020, 11:29 AM
Another great aspect to Paceline is the fantastic tolerance that is consistently shown here. Love that!
Other bicycle enthusiast forums simply delete members who share opinions unpopular to the group.

Keith A
06-11-2020, 01:08 PM
Thanks guys. It really appreciate the kinds words that have been shared, and it came a good time to hear these thoughts. I just lost a dear friend who I've ridden thousands of miles with and he even delivered our last child (he was an OBGYN). He was only 66 years old.

This is certainly a labor of love and I didn't know what I was getting into when Pete asked me to help moderate and handle the tech stuff. We have a great group of moderators, and we try to do our best to find the proper balance between letting things play out and stepping in to control the discussion.

In turn, I want to thank the members of the PL. It really is a great place to hang out and chat about all things related to cycling, and then some. There have been so many meaningful, informative and touching posts over the years. I still remember the heartfelt PM's I received after my father died several years ago. I have also seen members helping others, and some of this wouldn't have happened without this group.

So a big thank you to all.

superbowlpats
06-11-2020, 03:49 PM
Thanks to all, admins and members. I've pretty much stopped watching the news these days and come here to just look and talk bikes.

William
06-11-2020, 04:06 PM
...Cinnimon raisin toast that is!!;):)

https://i.imgflip.com/2i2iid.gif

A big THANK YOU to all the members who contribute, share, and just make this an overall great place to hang out! :cool::banana:

W.

nortx-Dave
06-11-2020, 04:15 PM
I only recently joined the PL, but have been riding bikes going on 40 years - has it really been that long?.....and have been a member of a few bicycling forums. The Paceline is far and away my favorite.

Vientomas
06-11-2020, 07:23 PM
Big group hug! Great peeps here - members and mods. It's my cycling sanctuary. Thanks to all! :hello:

alancw3
06-21-2020, 06:43 AM
Great work in these trying times and kudos to our mods in keeping a neutral atmosphere for the forum. if members don't like then they should leave versus trying to stir up trouble and dictate certain political and social views. that is just not this forum. imho. first and foremost a bike forum! I am sure we all have our own political and social views but they shouldn't be aired here. I just hope that continues here at Paceline. Again well done mods!

rnhood
06-21-2020, 11:37 AM
Yes, it's nice to have a collaborative environment that the virus can't invade. And although the virus is bad, it's great that the biking business is really doing well. I am happy for them and the people in this business. I just hope the trend continues once we are back to normal.

alexihnen
06-21-2020, 12:23 PM
Just adding my thanks to all. I agree with the sentiments already shared. I only recently (6mos) joined the forum and have found some excellent advice, some good buys, and buyers, and just some all-around good people.