PDA

View Full Version : Saying good morning

Fixed
06-09-2020, 12:49 PM
I say good morning to all I pass or those that pass me only one in 10 seem to say anything back . I ride early before there are large groups
Anyway it was a beautiful morning and ride today

Good morning to All
Cheers

bikinchris
06-09-2020, 01:09 PM
Same here along the Arkansas River Trail. They're starting to loosen up because we see the same people often and they know that I WILL tell them good morning. The walkers gave in first.

OldCrank
06-09-2020, 01:18 PM
I find I have to say it early and Loud, otherwise maybe they're still processing it by the time I pass.
"What did he mean by that??"

Still maybe 30-50% reply or wave. Meh.

redir
06-09-2020, 01:24 PM
Most people here in the Southern Appalachians offer a friendly greeting. I thought it was weird when I first moved here being a Connecticut Yankee.

cmg
06-09-2020, 01:32 PM
i say good morning to all that i pass on a morning ride. most return the gesture, some don't and that's ok.

Blue Jays
06-09-2020, 01:58 PM
You be you and others will be others.
I typically wave, yet at other times I focus.
Either way is cool with me. Life is good!

Fixed
06-09-2020, 02:48 PM

Yes
Cheers

Mattre
06-09-2020, 03:34 PM
I've been thinking about this a lot after reading a thread here earlier this year. I felt like I wasn't waving to other cyclists enough so I've started waving every time. Most of my rides start and end on a crowded multi-use trail. I'd say I get even less acknowledgment of my waves on that trail than OP's 1/10. But once I get on to some back roads with fewer cyclists, the percentage goes up a lot. I was on a tough climb yesterday and another cyclist even started a conversation and rode with me for a while.

So after a few months of waving at everyone, I would say the likelihood of someone waving back has something to do with how likely it is to see another cyclist in the area I'm in and maybe even the difficulty of the terrain I'm on.

Leyczo
06-09-2020, 03:42 PM

Yeah, I usually wave. Sometimes they wave back, sometimes not. No big deal either way.

Bentley
06-09-2020, 03:49 PM
I generally pass people with “On your right” followed by “good morning”, that’s for folks riding in my direction of travel. I generally give a “salute/hand wave” to folks that are going in the other direction.

I would say it’s hit and miss for a reply

More miss than hit 😀

Ray

weisan
06-09-2020, 05:21 PM
I need new reading glasses...I almost misread...Saying good..bye.

Whew! fixed pal, you just recovered, don't go back there again.

It's a new day...every day!

Ozz
06-09-2020, 06:07 PM
going in same direction as me, I will say good morning....

going in opposite direction....a wave or nod seems sufficient.

Clancy
06-10-2020, 07:25 AM
going in same direction as me, I will say good morning....

going in opposite direction....a wave or nod seems sufficient.

A hello or a wave is such a simple but nice gesture I am always stunned when I wave or say hello to another cyclist and he (always a he never a she) doesn’t wave back. I don’t get it and never will. Is niceness that difficult?

At what point did waving back become not cool?

Common curtesy, unfortunately, seems to be lost these days.

seanile
06-10-2020, 09:07 AM
A hello or a wave is such a simple but nice gesture I am always stunned when I wave or say hello to another cyclist and he (always a he never a she) doesn’t wave back. I don’t get it and never will. Is niceness that difficult?

At what point did waving back become not cool?

Common curtesy, unfortunately, seems to be lost these days.

instead of taking it as an opportunity to be offended, perhaps consider they're just not paying such close attention to you and what you're doing.
i rarely wave, i'm doing my own thing, i'm focused on the road and its condition. if it's obvious we're making sustained eye contact i'll flick my wrist, but i'll also understand that it's a subtle move that they may not recognize as a wave..

2metalhips
06-10-2020, 11:20 AM
What I have noticed on rarely used gravel paths is more often than not when I intersect a couple going the opposite way I always wave or nod. The female invariably does the same and the male does nothing or gives a dirty look. Strange.

ColonelJLloyd
06-10-2020, 11:27 AM
Well, now I can't get this out of my head.

https://youtu.be/sjb9AxDkwAQ

charliedid
06-10-2020, 06:13 PM
Yeah I tend to get the most responses when I just give people the finger as I ride past. Morning, afternoon or evening it's usually the same.

sw3759
06-10-2020, 07:21 PM
Yeah I tend to get the most responses when I just give people the finger as I ride past. Morning, afternoon or evening it's usually the same.

yes i imagine giving people the finger would get a response and usually not a good one.but whatever that works for you

glepore
06-10-2020, 07:37 PM
It depends on the level of effort and focus. I sometimes miss a waveback when in the midst of an interval or effort, or at speed when focused on the road. I tend to cut others slack when a nod or thumbs up isn’t returned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rounder
06-10-2020, 09:14 PM
I wave to everyone on bikes. Does not matter whether i know them or whether they wave back. I just like to do it.

charliedid
06-11-2020, 08:08 AM
yes i imagine giving people the finger would get a response and usually not a good one.but whatever that works for you

Sorry I guess I should have...

Velocipede
06-11-2020, 08:12 AM
I did a ride one time and I passed over 140 people. Only 5 did a wave, a nod, or some kind of acknowledgement. I did it to everyone. But 5. That's it. I did this cause I did a ride the day before and said hi to everyone like normal and was like, rude much? And I figured on the next one I would see. It's pretty bad out here in the CLE.

Old School
06-13-2020, 01:31 PM
I've said it a million times.

Legshavers NEVER wave back.

In fact most roadies I encounter avoid eye contact.

572cv
06-13-2020, 02:22 PM
In France, every rider (except maybe an occasional American tourist :rolleyes:) says Bonjour, Bonne Route, Bon Promenade, or at least nods, going by. That acknowledgement of another rider is the common courtesy. It lends to the cheerfulness of the ride!

Hawker
06-13-2020, 03:32 PM
All my riding is on the roads and I nod or say Hi to everybody unless they are really flying and clearly in "training mode". I'd say ninety percent say Hi back. I think the older the person the more likely they are to respond back 'cuz none of us old guys are taking it as seriously as we used to and are just happy to be to be out there and seeing others do the same. Oh...and I also say Hi to cows and horses but they seldom respond.

steveoz
06-13-2020, 04:08 PM
If it's a cyclist coming at me - head nod, if I pass them it's - "how ya doing" if they pass me it's - "SLOW DOWN! YOU'RE MAKING ME LOOK BAD"

Seramount
06-13-2020, 04:25 PM
Legshavers NEVER wave back.

In fact most roadies I encounter avoid eye contact.

meh, just lame stereotyping that misses the mark completely.

this legshaver waved at two dozen riders and a dozen pedestrians today...