PDA

View Full Version : Velo Europa

BoulderGeek
01-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Well, I did it. I purchased my 40th birthday present today, five months to the day in advance.

My present is to step out of the life that I have been striving to build and survive since 1986. Living in Colorado, weathering the economy and the weather,playing on two wheels and living at elevation has been all I could think about since I graduated high school in the dreary grey East Coast. But, I am at a mid-life juncture, and I am restless.

My plan is to quit my go-nowhere job on the fringes of the IT community, and move to the French Alps for three months.

I just bought airfare from Denver to Paris, via Reykjavik, Iceland. I am going to Chambery, in the Haute Savoie, where I will take French lessons and ride. Maybe have some wine and learn to cook. June and July there. I should be able to get in a few "Etapes du Tour," as well.

Then, the month of August to travel, ride, tour, imbibe.

As the time comes closer, I will undoubtedly be mentioning it and asking for the estimable collective wisdom of this erudite and experienced community. All advice and anecdotes will be appreciated.

My first logistical question involves preferred methods to ship my bike and kit beforehand. Fire away!

Bud
01-24-2007, 04:48 PM
Wow. Cool move, bro.

Mt Evans can wait until you're 41 :cool:

stevep
01-24-2007, 05:02 PM
its beautiful there.
congrats. thats going for it.
you will love the climbs.
why ship the bike ahead?
why not on the plane?

all the great climbs in the alps are there/ near there/ short drive away.

BoulderGeek
01-24-2007, 06:04 PM
I want the bike to just be there. I will not be going direct, but visiting some folks on the East Coast prior to departure. I don't want to have to shepherd my bike case everywhere, plus the extra fees each leg, each way more than pay for shipping.

When I went to Le Tour in 2002, the bike handling was a PITA.

I'm very stoked. Even more so if I can parlay this into an expat job over there. Just give me one year. I need to ski Chamonix and La Grave.

Thanks, Bud. Yeah, I'll have to settle for the Galibier and L'Alpe d'Huez next summer. I'll be watching this space to see how you did, though!

landshark_98
01-24-2007, 06:33 PM
I've got some good ride descriptions etc. for that region that I could copy and send you if you would like.

Greg

BoulderGeek
01-24-2007, 07:20 PM
Sure, Greg, any advice would be most appreciated!

I was in and around Bourg d'Oisans and Valloire and over to Albertville in the 2002 Tour. I just love that area.

But, I've never been to Chambery.

I've decided to take the train down from Paris. Any info on how to best navigate that maze would be helpful. And anything on how to find the best low-cost accommodations on the road. I guess I should just get a "Let's Go" book instead of bugging forumites. :D

But, any advice and opinions you have, let 'em out.

davep
01-24-2007, 07:47 PM
Congratulations for taking the plunge. I stayed in La Grave during the 2002 tour and also fell in love with the area. I'm envious...

Back in 2002 I checked with http://www.sportsexpress.com/ about shipping my bike - WAY more expensive than taking it on the plane:

Quote Result International Economy
To: France
Delivery Service: International Economy
Equipment: (1) Bicycle, Standard, 45x11x31, up to 50lbs
Delivery Price: $388.69 (One Way)

The French train system is comfortable and efficient, and pretty straight forward after you've done it once or twice. When I went on a another occassion I bought my tickets in advance. I think I used http://www.raileurope.com/us/index.htm. I would at least buy the tickets from Paris to Chambery in advance. Once you get settled you can figure other trips out.

Have a great time! :beer:

ThasFACE
01-24-2007, 07:57 PM
Definitely cool.

BoulderGeek
01-26-2007, 01:06 PM
Bump that thread!

Thanks for the advice and the enthusiasm, folks. This is one of those things I have been muttering about and threatening for years. I lived in England as a student in 1991-2, and swore I'd return to spend longer on the Continent. In the last 15 years, I was only able to rustle the two weeks for the 2002 Tour. I'm ready to opt out of my rat race, if only for a few months. Since my career has me off the back with the rat-balais, this seems like a good time.

Thanks for the logistical support, Dave. Were you part of the long pack that headed from la Grave to Les Deux Alpes that day? It would be funny if we had been part of the same paceline. My buddy and I camped on the side of the road on the Col du Lauteret that night, and rode down into La Grave, had cafe and croissants at the little outdoor cafe under La Meije, then on to Les 2 Alpes for the stage.

Alas I did not ride over the Galibier the next day. We drove over to Valloire and got a hotel, then rode down La Col du Telegraphe, over the valley and up the Col du Madeleine for the next day, before the racers arrived. Had to grind back up the Telegraphe at the end of the day, which was probably the hardest climb of my life. Hence my thread for lower gearing. :eek:

Now that I am on this path, I really should per put away the Ben & Jerry's and the perpetual keg of microwbrew I keep on tap.

davep
01-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Bump that thread!

Were you part of the long pack that headed from la Grave to Les Deux Alpes that day?

Probably not. My buddy and I had been riding all over that area the previous days, but we got up early and rode 50 miles or so and got done in time to have lunch with the family and then do the tourist stuff. On race day I knew I would be gone all day, and that would not make my wife happy, especially as she would have our 2 year old all day. So I got up and rode to the start, milled around awhile, rode back and watched the race on TV :(. And I was right, my buddy, who did not have a kid, went to the race and rolled back in around 6pm.

Bud
01-26-2007, 01:39 PM
I really should per put away the Ben & Jerry's and the perpetual keg of microwbrew I keep on tap.

I can help you with the keg. Drop it off at my place :)

Seriously, though- I'm trying to slow down on that as well...

BoulderGeek
01-26-2007, 04:26 PM
I can help you with the keg. Drop it off at my place :)

Seriously, though- I'm trying to slow down on that as well...

I just picked up a 1/4bbl of Mountain Sun FYIPA (and still have 3 gallons of Avery IPA in the kegerator). Unfortunately, there's a sloppy leak around the bung hole. :-o On the keg, of course.

I'm a fat, fat winter boy.

Davep, yeah, we were gone from 7Am to 6PM that day. The post-race descent was crazed! Dutch, German, Brit, Yank, etc all bombing down ahead of the caravans, trying not to take out pedestrians and lawn chairs. Heavy duty.

We got to Valloire and got a hotel around 9PM, and could only find a lone pizza place open. All the talk about great French cuisine, and all the restaurants were closed every time we got to a ville d'etape. I ate more pizza in that trip than in six months at home.