PDA

View Full Version : How trustworthy are J&L Ti Speedplay Spindles?

vCenturion
06-09-2020, 11:50 AM
I recently acquired some Speedplay pedals without realizing that Speedplay discontinued their 65mm spindle production after they were acquired.

Was looking into aftermarket longer spindles and messaged J&L (sold on eBay) about their weight limit bc I’m a pretty tall rider (6’5, 195lbs) and they said their weight limit was 110kg (242lbs).

I’m kind of skeptical and am wondering if that rating is really as trustworthy as when it comes from an OEM manufacturer.

For reference, Speedplay’s OEM standard length Ti spindles had a rider limit of 185lbs.

If it’s not trustworthy, an alternatives that could help me toy with a wider Q factor would be appreciated. Knee savers were a bit too far out there and my cleats are already slid inwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blantonator
06-09-2020, 12:18 PM
IIRC they're using aircraft titanium leftover from the F22, I'd trust them.

donevwil
06-09-2020, 01:00 PM
I have two of their Ti seatposts, very nice construction and good looking post.

weaponsgrade
06-09-2020, 01:06 PM
I've got a J&L Ti Brompton post. The end of the post (opposite the saddle clamp) wasn't finished too nicely. Not a big deal and I can't complain about the price.

cdimattio
06-09-2020, 01:40 PM
I have a set of the J&L spindles on my Speedplay pedals that are likely 15 years old and have been used regularly and moved between frames. I have recommended them to a couple of riding friends over the years based upon my positive experience. The have been flawless for me.

They are old enough that I replaced the zero bodies on them (back when the parts were more readily available).

My weight has likely ranged from 167-177 pounds if that helps.

Dino Suegiù
06-09-2020, 02:53 PM
I have never wanted even original Speedplay ti spindles on my Xs and Zeros, stainless only, so I would never buy J&L ti spindles.

That said, over the years I have ordered many other titanium bits from J&L and have always found the quality, shipping, and customer service to be truly excellent. Highly recommended shop. I would have no doubt that their ti spindles, which have been sold now for 15-20 years, are as good as the originals from Speedplay.

vCenturion
06-09-2020, 04:57 PM
Yeah, tbh, if I could find steel 65mm spindles that didn’t cost ~$200, I’d be happy to purchase them, but they’re hard to find and crazy expensive.

I’ll continue doing research into them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dino Suegiù
06-09-2020, 06:29 PM
Yeah, tbh, if I could find steel 65mm spindles that didn’t cost ~$200, I’d be happy to purchase them, but they’re hard to find and crazy expensive.

I’ll continue doing research into them.
Yes, those spindles hard to find.
Which model Speedplay pedal?

You could email/call the wahoos at Wahoo/Speedplay to see if they might have any 65mm NOS spindles somewhere. What a disaster of an acquisition though, so good luck with that.... Edit: I guess you could also contact the retailers still listed on the old Speedplay website (http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.findaretailer), starting with local, to see if they can help.

The only other possible source I can think of (beside Google search/eBay) might be a member named mcewen (https://forums.thepaceline.net/member.php?u=1063). I do not know if he is still active on Paceline, but when he was he sold Speedplay pedals here, and was excellent to deal with. You might PM him to see if he has any stock or knowledge re availability.