PDA

View Full Version : Jersey ID?

NHAero
06-09-2020, 10:45 AM
Bought this off eBay. The Item title was:
Vintage De Marchin 1946 Peugeot bike jersey

I thought Ag2R teams are much more recent. Did Peugeot also sponsor this team? What was meant by the 1946 (I asked the seller, no reply)?

And most important, since we had the thread of the WC jersey and the Rules: am I OK to wear this jersey, or am I impersonating falsely someone? My first drop bar bike was a Peugeot U-08, if that helps.

Steve in SLO
06-09-2020, 11:19 AM
Looks like year 2000 kit per Mr Google. Ag2r wasn't even around until the early 90s

ultraman6970
06-09-2020, 12:25 PM
https://www.cyclisme.ag2rlamondiale.fr/equipe/notre-histoire/

Jersey looks like was like 2000's probably the team was looking for better sponsors and the only one that catched up was Peugeot and they stayed there for less than 1 season, those things happens.

BTW they used decatlhon bikes, wonder if Peugeot was facilitating the cars for the team?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/8QwAAOSw-CpX~nGE/s-l1600.jpg

NHAero
06-09-2020, 12:43 PM
Some of you folks have way better Google skills than i do! Thanks.

OK to wear without violating Rules? Safe that no one will mistake a skinny old guy with a beard for someone who rode on that team :)?

Hindmost
06-09-2020, 12:49 PM
There's sort of a little-known codicil, sort of vague statute of limitations addressing the wearing of professional jerseys by ordinary riders. After an unspecified number of years it becomes okay to wear them. And if you're an old guy the statute kicks in a little earlier.

EPOJoe
06-09-2020, 01:21 PM
"De Marchi 1946" is used as the name of the company, as they started business in 1946 and it's probably what was printed on the label. Wear whatever you like. If someone has a problem with it, they're a nit-wit anyway and I wouldn't worry about their opinion.

NHAero
06-09-2020, 01:33 PM
Awesome, that's where the 1946 comes from! Thanks so much.
And glad to learn about the codicil, seems like I'm good to go (slow)

"De Marchi 1946" is used as the name of the company, as they started business in 1946 and it's probably what was printed on the label. Wear whatever you like. If someone has a problem with it, they're a nit-wit anyway and I wouldn't worry about their opinion.